Cozumel Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At DEMA I attended a seminar where a dive physician who works at DAN said the same thing he's been saying for years - dehydration does not cause DCS. Get as dehydrated as you want, but unless you have a dive profile, you won't get bent. Flip side is that you can be as hydrated as you want, but if the profile is wonky, bent ye be. Then a second physician, also representing DAN, a guy who's a chamber doc, gave a presentation and said over and over that hydration is super important. I asked him to explain the difference between his statements and that of his colleague. His answer was "Well, his talk was based on data, and mine is not."

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

Chief, I don't drink tequila. Martinis?

Reactions: MMM
At DEMA I attended a seminar where a dive physician who works at DAN said the same thing he's been saying for years - dehydration does not cause DCS. Get as dehydrated as you want, but unless you have a dive profile, you won't get bent. Flip side is that you can be as hydrated as you want, but if the profile is wonky, bent ye be. Then a second physician, also representing DAN, a guy who's a chamber doc, gave a presentation and said over and over that hydration is super important. I asked him to explain the difference between his statements and that of his colleague. His answer was "Well, his talk was based on data, and mine is not."

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

Chief, I don't drink tequila. Martinis?

Well that does sound like that guy says hydration is insignificant. Shame most of the articles on the DAN site seem to quote researchers who say it is important. (Thought not a cause, etc etc....) Seems there must be an individual gray area of risk, certainly dependent on the profiles but also including the individual factors relating solely to that diver perhaps including hydration from the studies out there. After all, profile alone does not guarantee anything right? A safe profile can bend you?

Martinis? Yikes, that's classy and hard core at the same time. Of course mine are shaken, not stirred..... I don't have a tux in linen for the tropical clime.

He also made some very interesting - thought-provoking - points about temperature. As in the worst case from a DCS risk scenario is going in warm (perhaps from soaking up rays in your tropical destination) and coming up cold (perhaps from being on a 60 minute dive).

And yes, I am both classy and hard core. :blinking:

He also made some very interesting - thought-provoking - points about temperature. As in the worst case from a DCS risk scenario is going in warm (perhaps from soaking up rays in your tropical destination) and coming up cold (perhaps from being on a 60 minute dive).

And yes, I am both classy and hard core. :blinking:

You know that makes sense. Oh and I get the DCS thing too.

Since we've hijacked this thread so completely, when are you coming to town? Will there be a carnaval shenanigan in our future?

Since we've hijacked this thread so completely, when are you coming to town? Will there be a carnaval shenanigan in our future?

I think the 25th? Having surprise Bday/Scubaboard on the 26th at el Moro!. Mom is hitting 79! There will be cake. First martini on me?

If it's not global warming, it's DCS, nobody can be conclusive about it. Maybe in 50 years they will actually have it figured out?

To add to the mystery, there is the hydration theory, the exertion before diving theory, the exertion after diving theory, the exertion during diving theory, the temperature of the water theory, the no hot showers after diving theory, the fitness level theory, the alcohol theory...

Like Karibelle said, the only sure cause is you have to dive, after that for every expert you can find to agree with one of the other theories, you can find another expert to disagree.

Dear Mike,

I can personally swear to the no hot water shower thing. Many years ago my GF and I returned from a VERY aggressive dive. I heard the shower go on and warned her about that. Within 15 seconds of hot water she had a big purple skin bend on her belly. Causation? Correlation? There is definitely some connection.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

the only sure cause is you have to dive

You can get DCS without diving. You can get it from working in mines or flying unpressurized. Apparently astronauts also have to protect against it when they work outside the spaceship.

You can get DCS without diving. You can get it from working in mines or flying unpressurized. Apparently astronauts also have to protect against it when they work outside the spaceship.

Not to be picky....but DCS is not mining related problem.....but there may be a few tunneling contractors who use elevated air pressure to reduce water seepage into the opening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom