Question Cozumel Dive Shop for Group Wanting to be Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Note Scuba is one of the highest rated dive shops in Cozumel. It's a small operation that provides personal, safe and is lots of fun. The scuba classes are always private.
bluenotescuba.com

Blue Note Scuba is one of the highest rated dive shops in Cozumel. It's a small operation that provides personal, safe and is lots of fun. The scuba classes are always private.
bluenotescuba.com
Highest rated by whom? I don't know anything about them but I also don't know any comprehensive rating service for Cozumel dive ops.

Highest rated by whom? I don't know anything about them but I also don't know any comprehensive rating service for Cozumel dive ops.
Here's a link to Scuba Diving Magazine annual awards where Blue Note was voted one of the best.
Scuba Diving

Here's a link to Scuba Diving Magazine annual awards where Blue Note was voted one of the best.
Scuba Diving
OK, but it's a readers' poll. The voters are a self selected group (readers of a magazine that I have never seen) and most divers haven't experienced enough Cozumel dive ops to make an objective rating among the myriad ops on the island. I know I haven't, but I like the guys I dive with. It's more cheerleading like we see on ScubaBoard.

I'm not by any stretch saying that Blue Note is not a great dive op; I don't know anything at all about them. I don't put much stock in the mag's rating, though I would be interested in whatever the readers think makes them stand out from the others; IMO a lot of what makes ops different from each other is about the boat ride.

I'd say check with ScubaJuan - smaller dive op
First time hearing of this op. Can you fill in some particulars that their website doesn't address, such as where divers meet for pickup, do they pick up at other piers, does the dive rate include tax or marine park fee, where surface interval is done, and any other particulars you think pertinent? Can post here or DM me.

First time hearing of this op. Can you fill in some particulars that their website doesn't address, such as where divers meet for pickup, do they pick up at other piers, does the dive rate include tax or marine park fee, where surface interval is done, and any other particulars you think pertinent? Can post here or DM me.
Is that the op that Cubano Jorge went to from Tres Pelicanos?

ScubaJuan has a location at the bottom of Hotel Barracuda, where I believe most boats depart and classes meet, and definitely their guided shore dives go from there. Can't speak to much of the other questions -- only boat dives we did were part of a class, so all pricing was lumped together. Guided shore dives require 2 divers, $25/person for daytime, $40/person night dives. EDIT: they do also rent tanks & weights for daytime shore dives from Hotel Barracuda for $15 I believe (at night they require you do a guided dive). The dives we had at the Barracuda were good dives, almost no current, easy navigation and a good bit to see (only place I have seen squid in Cozumel was our night dive there - I recall that @ggunn has seen them during night dives at Blue Angel).

Is that the op that Cubano Jorge went to from Tres Pelicanos?
No, that's Punta Sur Divers

First off, i no longer have a financial interest in Aldora DIVERS. If you choose to go with them you will be guaranteed to have your own fast boat and two instructors (they limit instruction to just two divers per instructor). In addition if you stay at my ocean front Villa Aldora, you can use the pool which is deep enough for "legitimate" pool skills just a few steps from your room. Plus Aldora Divers boats will pick you up right there.

Have a look at www.aldoravilla.com

Dave Dillehay
I've never stayed at Villas or dived with Aldora but you only hear good things about both on this forum.

I just want to add I love this idea. This simplifies the overall process so your new divers only need to focus on diving and not getting too and from the shop. The idea of a private boat and 2 DMs is even better.

I'll add I would recommend you do eLearning at home. Do the pool work in Cozumel so you gain some familiarity (and they with you) with your instructor so you are more comfortable with them once you get to the open water dives. You will use the same gear in the pool and ocean. All this will reduce your stress and make everyone have a better experience.

You will be able to knock out the pool work and ocean dives in the first 2-3 days then spend the rest of the week exploring the ocean and gaining confidence.

I've traveled with a few people to learn to dive including my kids. I use my experience as a diver/traveler to make the trip go smooth so they have a great training experience. Even if you dont choose Aldora, keep your combined hotel and dive op as simple as possible to keep that experienced smooth.

OK, but it's a readers' poll. The voters are a self selected group (readers of a magazine that I have never seen) and most divers haven't experienced enough Cozumel dive ops to make an objective rating among the myriad ops on the island. I know I haven't, but I like the guys I dive with. It's more cheerleading like we see on ScubaBoard.

I'm not by any stretch saying that Blue Note is not a great dive op; I don't know anything at all about them. I don't put much stock in the mag's rating, though I would be interested in whatever the readers think makes them stand out from the others; IMO a lot of what makes ops different from each other is about the boat ride.
Absolutely, we all have our favorites and it's often the first op you dive with. Very true it's about the boat ride and that's what stands out with Blue Note. The boat is very fast, comfortable with shade and serves a full lunch. Looking forward to going back in July.

Back
Top Bottom