Question Tell me about Shore Diving at Hotel Barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll soon be staying at Hotel Barracuda for the first time. One draw is the potential to do shore dives and/or snorkeling right from the hotel. I've never been in the water there -- can someone tell me about the best direction to head out initially, about how far out to go, what type of currents to expect, other considerations, etc.? Considering possible night dives there also, so any info would be appreciated.

Been a few years but dived there many times. We usually giant stride from pier and head south (left). I don't recall the compass bearing so I'll set reference as straight out as west. It's probably not exactly that so adjust accordingly. If you head southwest, about 100 feet down the shore and 100 feet out, there is the wreckage of a small plane. People sometimes mention plane wreckage at La Ceiba but this is double the size of that. There are two sections of fuselage alongside each other and wings scattered around. From there head another couple hundred feet down the shore (south) and there i a huge amount of rubble from a major pier collapse. The rubble runs from shore to out 100-150 feet and then parallel to shore another 50 feet, making a giant ell shape.

I took some snaps from a few old videos but these were from years ago when the camera tech and my skills were much poorer. Currents at all shore dives tend to be minimal but not always. If current picks up and you are caught down current of exit point, head to shore line where it will dissipate. Worst case, pull yourself back on the rocks. It's not in the marine park and you can wear gloves. Always know your bearing to shore though you can navigate by depth. Right by the shore it's 10-15 feet, the plane is in 20-25, and the pier ranges from 15-25. If you hit 35-40 feet you went the wrong way and are getting close to the reef, lol. You can get away from identifiable rubble and find yourself in endless grass patches at 20 feet and it's hard to tell direction. Depth changes very gradually. Lots of boat traffic so avoid popping up to see unless emergency. Take a compass.

Edit: I originally got my directions crossed and said heading out was east. It is west from Hotel Barracuda to the mainland. It is southwest to the plane.

Attachments

• file____F__107_0234.mp4-pier-rubble-00001.jpg
    file____F__107_0234.mp4-pier-rubble-00001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 102
  • file____F__107_0234.mp4-pier-rubble-00002.jpg
    file____F__107_0234.mp4-pier-rubble-00002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 102
  • file____F__112_0710.mp4-The airplane-00001.jpg
    file____F__112_0710.mp4-The airplane-00001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 95
  • file____F__112_0710.mp4-The airplane-00002.jpg
    file____F__112_0710.mp4-The airplane-00002.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 94
  • file____F__112_0710.mp4-The airplane-00003.jpg
    file____F__112_0710.mp4-The airplane-00003.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 91
Wow, this is super timely.

I'm heading to Cozumel in early February and was just going to post to ask whether the shore diving near Hotel Barracuda was still available (I went maybe 7 or 8 years ago).

Last time I went, I rented a full set of gear and just spent an hour, maybe 2 actually at 20 feet or so right in front of the hotel and honestly it was fantastic. NOT because there was all that much to see, but I don't get to dive in warm water very often and from what I recall the gear rental was pretty reasonable. It was fun to just lay in the sand and watch small schools of fish swim around.

Anyway, any chance anybody recalls if gear rental is still available at the hotel or next to it?

Also, while we're here any other similar locations you can do a quick and easy (even if not super exciting) shore dive from?

I stay at Hotel Cozumel & have put together an album showing the things I've seen doing my gear check out shore dives. It consists of photos from several trips which are usually made in the period of late Jan through mid Feb (which is Eagle Ray season) & what you see is representative of what you might see from around the Palace to the truck ferry pier area. All the photos are post Hurricane Wilma & that hurricane was not kind to the area which I had snorkeled a few time prior to it hitting. Back in Dec 2000 I stayed at what is now the Palace & would see a pair of young Eagle Rays that were working the area between Scuba Club & the Palace most days.

Anyway, any chance anybody recalls if gear rental is still available at the hotel or next to it?

Also, while we're here any other similar locations you can do a quick and easy (even if not super exciting) shore dive from?

Last I was there Dive Paradise operated a small kiosk onsite but if not I think they have a storefront nearby.

Other shore dives that I like even more are at Blue Angel and Tikila. Blue Angel has a dive shop onsite and can rent you gear. There are several shops around Tikila that can rent you gear. We usually go in at Roberta's Scuba Shack because we boat dive with them and our gear is in their locker room.

Dive Paradise still picks up divers at Hotel Barracuda but no longer has a location there. They do have the same small office near Rock'n.Java but have moved their primary shop location to Hotel Cozumnel.
Unless something has changed in the last 10 months, the dive op at the hotel is Scuba Juan, which does rent tanks, gear & lockers.

Unless something has changed in the last 10 months, the dive op at the hotel is Scuba Juan, which does rent tanks, gear & lockers.
Yes, here now and can confirm Scuba Juan is still at Hotel Barracuda. Did not end up shore diving because of weather (Norte) - but at least got to make up the boat dives that were canceled.

Amazing! Thank you all for the info, and I'll 100% be checking out Blue Angel and Tikila. Thanks again, super excited :)

Last I was there Dive Paradise operated a small kiosk onsite but if not I think they have a storefront nearby.

Other shore dives that I like even more are at Blue Angel and Tikila. Blue Angel has a dive shop onsite and can rent you gear. There are several shops around Tikila that can rent you gear. We usually go in at Roberta's Scuba Shack because we boat dive with them and our gear is in their locker room.

Back
Top Bottom