Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, However, a hose may compress with the pressure. However, if you took a rigid piece of PVC pipe that wont compress, I believe it would be the same as if on the surface.

Wrong as two my friend, wrong as two. Do a little research before you chime in next time.

No luck with a straw. But a shop-vac is an entirely different story.:D
Man you should have seen the time I took a Shop-Vac to a Wasp's nest... :rofl3:

you guys kill me how does one go from sucking air down go to sucking water up? way different.

Not as different as one might think. Both are attempting to draw air against a pressure, assuming that the only thing in the tube at the beginning of the test is air. The only true differences are that in pulling the air UP the tube, the resisting pressure is provided by the weight of the water in the tube. In pulling the air DOWN (while submerged) the pressure is provided by the weight of the water surrounding the person, and therefore the lungs. In both cases, the lungs must exert enough force to overcome the pressure. Since the lungs can by no means provide the pressure differential needed to vaporize the water, the experimental results will be similar.

Amen. Pressure is pressure. Air and water. Up down. No diff.

Given that the motion of the diaphram is different on the inhale and exhale, I'm thinking the strength of the inhale could be different that of an exhale.

Jax, we asked for the time and you're telling us how to build a watch. We understand that sucking and blowing are different (oh boy) but both illustrate, despite the small difference in capability, that trying to move air through a tube from an area of low pressure to an area of high pressure IS DIFFICULT and will cause you enormous problems if trying to use a long snorkel.

So whether you suck the snorkel or blow the snorkel, either way you're gonna get screwed.

Clear it up for ya?

:dork2:

Jax, we asked for the time and you're telling us how to build a watch. We understand that sucking and blowing are different (oh boy) but both illustrate, despite the small difference in capability, that trying to move air through a tube from an area of low pressure to an area of high pressure IS DIFFICULT and will cause you enormous problems if trying to use a long snorkel. So whether you such the snorkel or blow the snorkel, either way you're gonna get screwed. Clear it up for ya? :dork2:
:popcorn:

Before somebody hurts themselves being cute, I would highly recommend your not going to 30 feet with a garden hose/PVC pipe/giant somekinda tube or whatever, evacuated, and then curl your lips around the end with the other end open to the atmosphere. Just saying, Darwin Award time. I am being deadly serious.

If you want to do an experiment that will not kill you, take a balloon, on the surface, put a puff or two of air in it and then get it over the end of a garden hose with a twist on/off nozzle. Take the end with the balloon to the bottom of the pool and then twist the nozzle open and watch what happens. The balloon is your lungs squashed flat by a measly 5 psi (pool about 10 feet) then imagine a full 33 feet, 1 atm.

N

Jax, we asked for the time and you're telling us how to build a watch. We understand that sucking and blowing are different (oh boy) but both illustrate, despite the small difference in capability, that trying to move air through a tube from an area of low pressure to an area of high pressure IS DIFFICULT and will cause you enormous problems if trying to use a long snorkel.

So whether you suck the snorkel or blow the snorkel, either way you're gonna get screwed.

Clear it up for ya?

:dork2:

You can say anything you want, but until I see a pressure meter on the end of that pvc to lung power, and a micrometer measure of the depth, it's still open to debate! Said measurements should be taken at 10 centimeter increments, too.

Or you could just apply the mechanics of fluids and calculate the differential in regards to depth. Then you could test it to see if your calculus is right.

What fun!!! :D

This is not gonna end well.

Before somebody hurts themselves being cute, I would highly recommend your not going to 30 feet with a garden hose/PVC pipe/giant somekinda tube or whatever, evacuated, and then curl your lips around the end with the other end open to the atmosphere. Just saying, Darwin Award time. I am being deadly serious.

If you want to do an experiment that will not kill you, take a balloon, on the surface, put a puff or two of air in it and then get it over the end of a garden hose with a twist on/off nozzle. Take the end with the balloon to the bottom of the pool and then twist the nozzle open and watch what happens. The balloon is your lungs squashed flat by a measly 5 psi (pool about 10 feet) then imagine a full 33 feet, 1 atm.

N

Oh, c'mon Nimrod! There's a kid somewhere in the world probably doing this in a swimming pool right now! And freaking 'cause s/he can't draw air, and blaming it on the unfortunate sibling on the top . . . . :rofl3: :kiss2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom