Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The part that bothers me as always, is the minority of people who find it necessary to "rain on the parade" so to speak.

costi, Yeah, I new you'd get some of those. There was a lot of good theory discussion though. I took it as a serious question from the start. But simply put, despite all the lung capacity and pressure figures---A giant snorkel must've been a obvious idea for spearfishers even hundreds of years ago. It would've been done back then if it were possible. Perhaps with enough money one could get some kind of water proof/high tech. machine on the snorkel that could make it work.

Isn't that SNUBA, sort of? I guess it would need a pump instead of a tank to truly qualify though.

In any case an illustration of the problem of the 33' snorkel that I haven't seen here yet is a comparison based on relative pressure. Putting your lips to a snorkel at 33' and trying to draw in air would put stress on your lungs somewhat akin to an astronaut running a hose outside the space shuttle and attempting to breathe against the vacuum of space! The results would probably be highly unpleasant. The DIFFERENCE in ambient pressure between atmosphere at sea level and the hard vacuum of space is the same one atmosphere as it is from sea level to 33'. I can't be entirely sure but my feeling is the damage to the lungs would be less with the snorkel than in space...but I don't know the detailed physics of the human body and the human body immersed in water well enough to evaluate the differences, but I do know enough to know that the pressure differential is the same (that's WHY they call it "one atmosphere").

Put another way the difference in pressure from seal level to 33' is, well, 33' of water. A shop vac generates a vacuum measured in INCHES of water...anyone here care to volunteer to perform a sucking against the shop vac contest? :mooner:

This is a fun game :D

A shop vac generates a vacuum measured in INCHES of water...anyone here care to volunteer to perform a sucking against the shop vac contest?

Oh, wow...Yet ANOTHER experiment! This could go on forever!

A shop vac generates a vacuum measured in INCHES of water...anyone here care to volunteer to perform a sucking against the shop vac contest?

Oh, wow...Yet ANOTHER experiment! This could go on forever!

:thumb:

I just do not see this thread going anywhere family oriented from here :shakehead:

We're all adults here, aren't we? Chronologically at least.

I thought the sarcasm was implied in my post......my bad. Move on folks...nothing to see here.

I thought the sarcasm was implied in my post......my bad. Move on folks...nothing to see here.
except Cats stuck in straws.. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom