Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to wonder if all this effort to obtain the perfect list of available chambers would not better be spent on avoiding DCS in the first place. That is, avoid the problem, rather than solve the problem.

1. Call your creditors or banking institution and tell them you'll be in X country on Y date range, and conducting activities of this nature. Have them leave a note on your account or ensure those algorithms are turned off for that time frame (I've had this happen just going from Florida to Nevada and trying to buy gas two times in a row at a gas station because the first attempt timed out and I tried it again).

2. Call those numbers and verify whatever pertinent information you need to know, ahead of the departure date of your trip. DAN should answer 24/7, but it doesn't mean the local facilities will.

3. I'd call the chambers individually that are closest and ask if they are open, have any dates/times of closure, if they're staffed full-time, if they accept divers, if they're part of DAN's network (something I'd ask DAN too - verifying both ends would give me peace of mind), and how they conduct treatment if not.
All you suggest is good....but where do you get a listing of "closest chambers" ?? .....still the weak link and list needed if the individual diver does choose to develop a detailed emergency plan and the verify the elements of that plan just before the dives...

I have to wonder if all this effort to obtain the perfect list of available chambers would not better be spent on avoiding DCS in the first place. That is, avoid the problem, rather than solve the problem.
I assume this is tongue in cheek?

Of course preventions beats treatment after the fact. We don't need a "perfect list", just a list...

Accidents are just that and obviously can't be avoided...only mitigated after the fact...Yes, spend efforts preventing DCI but "what if" and you did not have a plan in place? Ooops.

The most bothersome part is Woody is a connected millionaire in the dive industry and had all these issues. We’d all be screwed. I’ve gone to a lot more remote remote places than Bahamas and just imagine how screwed I’d be lol
Too much trust placed on the emphasis on having some kind of insurance when things go wrong.

Even a phone number for these treatment chambers with a message line stating their current status would work; if we had the location, type and phone number of the diver treatment chambers.
What makes you think all or most chambers provide this?

What makes you think all or most chambers provide this?
Just the opposite....re-read what I posted....it was suggesting that such a method of contacting appropriate chambers via a phone and or website that stated an updated status message...note I said "Nada now'....nothing now...wish there was! Heck, we do not have a listing of chambers, let alone a means of contacting them!

There's multiple problems with the current state of affairs in American healthcare and the chamber problem is a microchasm of that problem.

Let's say I want to make a deco dive in any other country than the USA. DAN will tell me, upfront where the nearest chamber is. . .

In the USA, they say they want you to call 911 (I agree) and let the EMS system work. I'm not knocking the EMS system in the USA (it's awesome) but if I have a 4-6 hour wait to get to a chamber where I'm diving (I do) I may elect to make a different decision about dialing 911 than I'd make in a place where the nearest chamber is 30 minutes away.

I'd make the same risk assessment in a foreign country, and I'd be prepared for it, but in the US, we have to make an educated guess about what's best because of DAN's paternal attitude.

That said, they could provide information that is something to the effect of: "These are the chambers and their capabilities as far as we know. Things change. Don't depend on this list without verifying the information herein... etc., etc."

Your ability to make a reasoned risk assessment is diminished by DAN's unwillingness to provide this information. That might be good for the average rescue diver, but it's terrible for someone trying to make an accurate assessment of risk (or more to the point, for someone trying to make a plan to mitigate risk).

</soapbox>

Current status should be up to the person drafting their own emergency plan before each dive. A phone call either to the nearest appropriate chamber or DAN [if they periodically update chamber status] to confirm they are on-line is an essential element in an emergency plan.

I agree this is good information for an individual diver to have for their own emergency plan. So why are you bashing DAN for not providing this to you? Why don't you call your nearby chambers before each dive and get a status update?

Just the opposite....re-read what I posted....it was suggesting that such a method of contacting appropriate chambers via a phone and or website that stated an updated status message...note I said "Nada now'....nothing now...wish there was!

I agree this is good information for an individual diver to have for their own emergency plan. So why are you bashing DAN for not providing this to you? Why don't you call your nearby chambers before each dive and get a status update?
Guess I am not communicating very good.... How can you "call your nearby chambers" if you do not have their name, location or type? Can't call without a number and name. DAN or anybody here in USA does not publish or list the diver treatment chambers...secret 'keys to the kingdom'? No, more like a business decision.

Viking's comments should be re-read....they nail it! For all our august healthcare network here in USA....it boils down to fear of litigation and profit...so I see it.

DSO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom