Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, c'mon Nimrod! There's a kid somewhere in the world probably doing this in a swimming pool right now! And freaking 'cause s/he can't draw air, and blaming it on the unfortunate sibling on the top . . . . :rofl3: :kiss2:

Yeah and the pool is 6 to 10 feet, not 33 feet which is where this all began but you go right ahead :rofl3:.

The pressure differential of 1 atm is exactly what your lungs would experience at 33 feet vented to the atmosphere at sea level and is exactly what an astronaut would experience if he/she pulls the face plate off of the suit on a space walk, 1atm differential. Have fun. :shakehead:

N

Jax, the kid that is trying this with 30' of hose in water with depth of 30fsw starts on the surace and reaches the "oh schit I can't breathe" moment long before they make it to 30'. That is one glaring difference as I see it.

Oh, c'mon Nimrod! There's a kid somewhere in the world probably doing this in a swimming pool right now! And freaking 'cause s/he can't draw air, and blaming it on the unfortunate sibling on the top . . . . :rofl3: :kiss2:

Jax, the kid that is trying this with 30' of hose in water with depth of 30fsw starts on the surace and reaches the "oh schit I can't breathe" moment long before they make it to 30'. That is one glaring difference as I see it.

Jeez, Steve, I cannot believe you are being serious!

You think I don't know this? I'm one of the kids that grabbed the hose and went to the local pond! Schit, I try anything once! :wink: And when my older sis did it, she swears to the world I had my hand over the end.

:whistling:

Before somebody hurts themselves being cute, I would highly recommend your not going to 30 feet with a garden hose/PVC pipe/giant somekinda tube or whatever, evacuated, and then curl your lips around the end with the other end open to the atmosphere. Just saying, Darwin Award time. I am being deadly serious.

If you want to do an experiment that will not kill you, take a balloon, on the surface, put a puff or two of air in it and then get it over the end of a garden hose with a twist on/off nozzle. Take the end with the balloon to the bottom of the pool and then twist the nozzle open and watch what happens. The balloon is your lungs squashed flat by a measly 5 psi (pool about 10 feet) then imagine a full 33 feet, 1 atm.

N

Nemrod, you are making an excellent point here and I hope it is heeded. I have been having the same concerns that someone actually tries to dispute the truth here by trying this out.
I want to bring to point the perfect example of someone playing with something before they knew what they had in their hands.
I was just reading this in a book of mine titled Diving Science by Michael B. Strauss, and Igor Aksenov.
Please bear with me..this is important at least in my mind:
Several children were playing in their backyard swimming pool. They decided to tie weights to a bucket handle and let the bucket sink, filled with air so they could breathe the air in the bucket from the bottom of the pool. After breathing air from the bucket, one kid swam to the surface holding his breathe. Upon surfacing, he let out a sigh and immediately lost consciousness. The kid was pronounced dead upon the arrival at the hospital from an arterial gas embolism. Moral of the story: Compressed air diving(as in breathing the air in the bucket) and breath-holding should not mix.
Anyway guys....as Nemrod said.....Let's be careful!
Bob

Nemrod, you are making an excellent point here and I hope it is heeded. I have been having the same concerns that someone actually tries to dispute the truth here by trying this out.
I want to bring to point the perfect example of someone playing with something before they knew what they had in their hands.
I was just reading this in a book of mine titled Diving Science by Michael B. Strauss, and Igor Aksenov.
Please bear with me..this is important at least in my mind:
Several children were playing in their backyard swimming pool. They decided to tie weights to a bucket handle and let the bucket sink, filled with air so they could breathe the air in the bucket from the bottom of the pool. After breathing air from the bucket, one kid swam to the surface holding his breathe. Upon surfacing, he let out a sigh and immediately lost consciousness. The kid was pronounced dead upon the arrival at the hospital from an arterial gas embolism. Moral of the story: Compressed air diving(as in breathing the air in the bucket) and breath-holding should not mix.
Anyway guys....as Nemrod said.....Let's be careful!
Bob

Another problem with a longer snorkel, once you get down to a usable length, is CO2 buildup and retention. The longer (and more voluminous) the snorkel, the more CO2 will build up in the tube and be recycled with each breath. I suspect CO2 buildup may be more of a limiting factor than the pressure of depth making inhalation difficult. Of course, you could go with a double hose regulator valve design and avoid the CO2 problem.

Vacuum is measured in Inches of mercury! Torr; pascals ......

Don't forget to calculate for absolute atmosphere.:D

See you topside! John

You can say anything you want, but until I see a pressure meter on the end of that pvc to lung power, and a micrometer measure of the depth, it's still open to debate! Said measurements should be taken at 10 centimeter increments, too. Or you could just apply the mechanics of fluids and calculate the differential in regards to depth. Then you could test it to see if your calculus is right. What fun!!! :D
:w-t-f:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom