I breathe too much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of us just seem to use more air. When I had around 25 dives everybody told me that my air consumption would decrease as I dove more. I am getting close to 100 dives now with no change in SAC rate, so I am still waiting.

I agree with the comments about not worrying about it though. I just went out and got a set of LP108 doubles and cave fill for the dives where I need lots of air.
You're only at 100 total dives and are already doing dives that require 324 cf of gas? Don't get me wrong, I got double 108s pretty early on in my diving career (year 3 with maybe 250 total dives), but initially, I just used them to do 2 or 3 normal recreational dives without having to change tanks (and without worry about consumption rate on the first 1 or 2 dives). It was also for the redundancy and getting used to the configuration for future endeavors such as solo, tech, cave, etc. But it was a while before I really needed the 300+ cf for a single dive (10 years and 1000 dives later when I started doing 30 - 40 min at 180 - 200 ft on 18/45).

You're only at 100 total dives and are already doing dives that require 324 cf of gas? Don't get me wrong, I got double 108s pretty early on in my diving career (year 3 with maybe 250 total dives), but initially, I just used them to do 2 or 3 normal recreational dives without having to change tanks (and without worry about consumption rate on the first 1 or 2 dives). It was also for the redundancy and getting used to the configuration for future endeavors such as solo, tech, cave, etc. But it was a while before I really needed the 300+ cf for a single dive (10 years and 1000 dives later when I started doing 30 - 40 min at 180 - 200 ft on 18/45).
Yes, my typical SAC is around 1 CFM, but can easily go up to 1.25. I do usually plan dives to keep at least 1200psi as reserve(1/3), but I have ended up as low as 800 on a dive that was less than an hour and only had about 15 minutes of deco. I only pull the 108s out when I need that much, otherwise I'll dive LP85 doubles.

Mostly it will come down to getting more comfortable underwater. That comes with experience.

Also, recognize that there is a biological component. A larger individual will most likely consume more gas than a smaller individual. Likewise, activity level will increase consumption. So if you are constantly finning, especially with your hands, slowing down will help. A lot of my dives involve some type of work. The difference is dramatic when I compare to a dive with little activity. Being cold will also increase consumption, so wear appropriate exposure gear for the temps.

Proper weighting is critical. Lots of new divers are over-weighted. It's easier for instructors to have divers over-weighted, but that means that more air is required in the BC to maintain neutral buoyancy. Reducing weight to what is needed will reduce consumption.

For now, if you are concerned about it, ask the dive ops you are using if they have bigger tanks available. I have my own tanks, but when I'm diving with my daughters, I use one of the bigger ones while giving them smaller ones. That at least gets us closer.

New-ish diver here- 21 dives so far with my AOW cert (the last 15 dives were in Bora Bora and Rangiroa)

I’m trying to improve my breathing underwater - I can breathe out slowly 6-8 seconds but when I breathe in, it feels like I’m breathing all my possible air too fast in like 2 seconds, instead of 4+.

This means I often end up out of air faster than my buddies.

- Is there a tongue technique I can practice against the regulator?
- is there something I can practice in my pool with a snorkel?
- is there a video I can watch/ listen to of someone breathing “correctly” underwater that I can try to copy?

Maybe just more cardio would help…
keep diving it will get better!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom