Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax, the kid that is trying this with 30' of hose in water with depth of 30fsw starts on the surace and reaches the "oh schit I can't breathe" moment long before they make it to 30'. That is one glaring difference as I see it.
And this my friends is where a Spare Air becomes useful :popcorn:

Let him see if he can drink a bottle of coke through a 33 ft long straw.

u can just shake it before trying! :dork2:

K, i think someone needs to locate a few more chores at work to fill in the "dead space" in time.
You guys dont by chance work at the local DMV place do you? this would help explain why it took so long for Mrs. Percy to get her license renewed. "Thank you for calling please hold"
LOL just funnin; I like the straw from top a 3rd story building analogy, seems perfect

So what happens when it is to cold to dive and we have time to surf the web?

You are living it as we speak my friend :wink:

...We understand that sucking and blowing are different (oh boy)...

Depends on who you ask...:crafty:

So whether you suck the snorkel or blow the snorkel, either way you're gonna get screwed.

:dork2:

Promises, promises...:shocked2:

...We understand that sucking and blowing are different (oh boy)...

Depends on who you ask...:crafty:

So whether you suck the snorkel or blow the snorkel, either way you're gonna get screwed.

:dork2:

Promises, promises...:shocked2:

:rofl4: Holy c***, Herk man, I totally missed that last line!!!! I am so sorry!!! :rofl3:

All right guys, help me out on this would ya?
A guy asked at work today a hypothetical question:
If a person had a 33ft. long snorkel with an exhaust valve on it so that he could exhaust the c02 rather than sending it back up the snorkel, why wouldn't he be able to breathe through it?
I didn't have the answer. Any takers?
Oh, BTW, As I said at the top of the page, this was only a hypothetical question asked to help pass the workday (or evening)........he doesn't really want to do this (I don't think)
I did tell him though, that even though you are not breathing compressed gas from a tank, I believe the effects of surfacing while breathholding would be the same since the air has been compressed by the depth.
Anyway, not a question you folks need to take too seriously, I was just curious how to figure the answer.
Bob

Another problem with a longer snorkel, once you get down to a usable length, is CO2 buildup and retention. The longer (and more voluminous) the snorkel, the more CO2 will build up in the tube and be recycled with each breath. I suspect CO2 buildup may be more of a limiting factor than the pressure of depth making inhalation difficult. Of course, you could go with a double hose regulator valve design and avoid the CO2 problem.

Isn't that SNUBA, sort of? I guess it would need a pump instead of a tank to truly qualify though.

In any case an illustration of the problem of the 33' snorkel that I haven't seen here yet is a comparison based on relative pressure. Putting your lips to a snorkel at 33' and trying to draw in air would put stress on your lungs somewhat akin to an astronaut running a hose outside the space shuttle and attempting to breathe against the vacuum of space! The results would probably be highly unpleasant. The DIFFERENCE in ambient pressure between atmosphere at sea level and the hard vacuum of space is the same one atmosphere as it is from sea level to 33'. I can't be entirely sure but my feeling is the damage to the lungs would be less with the snorkel than in space...but I don't know the detailed physics of the human body and the human body immersed in water well enough to evaluate the differences, but I do know enough to know that the pressure differential is the same (that's WHY they call it "one atmosphere").

Put another way the difference in pressure from seal level to 33' is, well, 33' of water. A shop vac generates a vacuum measured in INCHES of water...anyone here care to volunteer to perform a sucking against the shop vac contest? :mooner:

This is a fun game :D

Yeah and the pool is 6 to 10 feet, not 33 feet which is where this all began but you go right ahead :rofl3:.

The pressure differential of 1 atm is exactly what your lungs would experience at 33 feet vented to the atmosphere at sea level and is exactly what an astronaut would experience if he/she pulls the face plate off of the suit on a space walk, 1atm differential. Have fun. :shakehead:

N

The best part of interminable threads is posters who don't read it before posting so we get to have the whole conversationi again and again! Makes for some really fun reading.:popcorn::rofl3::coffee::D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom