Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kev, how about a report from today? The two dives were awesome. We have a 3-tanker going tomorrow that should be outstanding. Today saw current on the Captain Tony and batfish on the latter dive.

The octopus was really cool. I wish I had more pics.

Now I get it, subduck=flamingo tongue!

Divesherpa:
Kev, how about a report from today? The two dives were awesome. We have a 3-tanker going tomorrow that should be outstanding. Today saw current on the Captain Tony and batfish on the latter dive.

The octopus was really cool. I wish I had more pics.

Now I get it, subduck=flamingo tongue!

I think that there will be a report for these dives posted shortly, by a lobster loving Canadienette. All I know is that the reef today was kinda slippery.

Scubakevdm:
the reef today was kinda slippery.

My dinner wasn't very slippery. Tell the Canuck that my MRS. wasn't pleased about eating foul instead of using condiments on fresh tail.

Get the coordinates for that Lionfish! :crafty:

3 dives today, seas were 3-5. I could see the stern of the boat from the bottom. Turtles, eels, the whole nine yards.

Farfromwater did a great job today, as did the other two musketeers.

What an awesome day full of diving.

We need reports.

Divesherpa:
My dinner wasn't very slippery. Tell the Canuck that my MRS. wasn't pleased about eating foul instead of using condiments on fresh tail.

Get the coordinates for that Lionfish! :crafty:

3 dives today, seas were 3-5. I could see the stern of the boat from the bottom. Turtles, eels, the whole nine yards.

Farfromwater did a great job today, as did the other two musketeers.

What an awesome day full of diving.

We need reports.

Ah, the lovely Sherpette deserved better than foul...may I suggest poultry the next time? Regardless, I cannot comment on her choice of accompaniments to tail :wink:

Dive 1 began after a slightly windy evening which resulted in rather lumpy seas. Original plans had included the mysterious and famous Boyton Plume, however conditions dictated a reluctant, yet unanimous change of sites.

Dive # 1 (Kev, where was this?)
Sitings of note: (prefaced by the observation that diving anywhere here is like a walk-through of the Reef Species book) A lovely Ray, slightly shy Green Moray, a curious crab and a particularly charming little grapefruit-sized octopus nestled within the bottm of a large barrel sponge.

Dive #2 (um, Kev?, site name? I was distracted)
Sitings of note: ScubaKevDM points out a beautiful, large loggerhead and yet another Ray. Crustaceans are in abundance, another 2 Eels and too many species to mention. DiveSherpa and his muskateers happen upon a nurse shark at the end of the dive.

Dive # 3 God's Spot
Sitings of note: through the hour spent exploring this amazing site, we are treated to 3 large Green Morays swimming in the open along the bottom, a turtle just on the edge of the 40' of vis, trumpet fish, a flying Gunard (sp?), scorpionfish and despite some disbelievers, a lionfish. (don't know the co-ordinates, but follow the reef to the cut, left at the Moray, right at the scorpionfish and 2' beyond on your right, in the sand, by the ledge)
DiveSherpa and company happened upon a pretty little Slipper Lobster. The Lobster joined us on much of the final ascent, and discussions were held on the safety stop regarding it's itinerary for the evening. DiveSherpa indicated that he was inclined to present his lovely Canadian bride with some truly fresh tail that evening... but met with some resistance. He fought valiantly to encourage the lobster's journey to a much warmer location (read: pot of boiling water)...but after a spirited underwater sparring match, accompanied by some first class pouting (never underestimate the value of a good mask defog) he reluctantly observed the Slipper make an abrupt descent back to the safety of the bottom.

OK, not a formal dive report...but I hope that anyone reading this can sense the underlying enthusiasm and wonder at the diving here...especially travelling in the company and care of the captain and crew from Splashdown! Awesome! This was great!!!

waterdaughter:
despite some disbelievers, a lionfish. (don't know the co-ordinates, but follow the reef to the cut, left at the Moray, right at the scorpionfish and 2' beyond on your right, in the sand, by the ledge)

Perfect directions. Hopefully I will find the king of the gorgonian jungle on Friday!

waterdaughter:
DiveSherpa and company happened upon a pretty little Slipper Lobster. The Lobster joined us on much of the final ascent, and discussions were held on the safety stop regarding it's itinerary for the evening. DiveSherpa indicated that he was inclined to present his lovely Canadian bride with some truly fresh tail that evening... but met with some resistance. He fought valiantly to encourage the lobster's journey to a much warmer location (read: pot of boiling water)...but after a spirited underwater sparring match, accompanied by some first class pouting (never underestimate the value of a good mask defog) he reluctantly observed the Slipper make an abrupt descent back to the safety of the bottom.

The UW kung ** lesson is greatly appreciated. Your eloquence (lobster go on grill, not in a pot) is astounding. The bona fide brazen blonde bombshell bouncing beautifully on the bow of the boat berates barbarians (me :crafty: ) by beaming brilliantly. Bombast babbling by said blunt barbarian breaches bearable behavior.

Bye!!

Meeting and diving with you was awesome. I hope to do it again very soon.

Sheri says ,"Hi and bye"

Jamie

…and I had such an AWESOME recipe for slipper lobster. After this trip Waterdaughter can now include in her avatar semi-pro pouting, founder of the new Ontario chapter of Save The Lobsters (STL), as well as internship for bowsprit/figurehead on the Delta II… does that go under interests or certifications? :11ztongue

Sorry for the delayed report, no computer with me on the trip. I agree, outstanding dives/trip!

The list of sightings over the two days is immense, but here’s a few: a bunch of Goliath grouper/jewfish on the Castor, one pretty darned big barracuda, batfish (hey, they make a really weird sound… just ask Kevin), scorpion fish, 3 kinds of eels, chocolate chip sea cucumber, nurse shark, some yummy crustations (sadly either out of season or pouted back into the depths), a few rays, loads of the standard colorful reef fish, and a few I can‘t identify.
Pictures in my gallery are from this trip, I can‘t get a link to work… what’s the pair of ugly fish in that one shot anyway? Thanks to Troy for the batfish shot. Sorry, my good scanner died, so had to use the cheapo printer/scanner to get these uploaded.

We believe ESPN2 will be covering some of the dives in the near future, as a possible new sport has emerged… fighting over dinner aka a major kung-foo underwater battle over the fate of one tasty slipper lobster . It is rumored that the battle site as viewed from the surface was similar to water boiling. I never knew safety stops could be so dangerous. :whack:

All the dives were great, but the Castor (incredible vis) and Lynn’s reef (3rd on Tuesday), were my favorites

Thanks again to Kevin and Captain Lynn at Splashdown for some great dive trips (they treat you right!), and to DiveSherpa for making the Nitrox class a blast. All are highly recommended if you are headed to SE Florida. Waterdaughter, enjoyed meeting you… will diving the great white north ever be the same after this trip?

Looking forward to another trip soon,

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom