Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WE actually did run a trip today, hoping to get it off before the wind shifted to the north. That didn't really pan out too well for us.​
BUT...
Scince Rick gave the pot a little stir, how's about a good old fashioned Boynton Dive Report? Just like the old days.
Seas started out not too terrible with about 2' of close chop. By the time I was out of the water after the first dive they were 2-4', then 3-5' after the second. Water temp was 75 degrees, viz was 30' on the first, improving t0 60-70' on the second. Current was slight to moderate south. I did not make the second dive at the captain's request due to the seas. Out of eight passengers, two puked, giving the trip a score of .25 on the Metzinson vommit index.
I wasn't even in the water very long on dive one, but I did manage to see a curious green moray. All in all, it was fun. I think there might have been others on board that may have a longer list of cool stuff. Maybe they will post their sightings.

We did 2 nice dives today. The first dive was at Black Condo. The first dive was short and sweet. We were greeted by a very friendly Hawksbill on the first dive. The surface interval found several turtles lounging around. The next dive was great. I guided a photographer from San Francisco (very nice lady) who was shooting film. We found lots of good macro stuff (shrimp, juvies, etc...)

What an awesome day!

IT looks like we aren't going out again until Friday.

It's time to fire up the report for the summer.

Kevin, keep 'em coming.

Scubakevdm:
WE actually did run a trip today, hoping to get it off before the wind shifted to the north. That didn't really pan out too well for us.​
BUT...
Scince Rick gave the pot a little stir, how's about a good old fashioned Boynton Dive Report? Just like the old days.
Seas started out not too terrible with about 2' of close chop. By the time I was out of the water after the first dive they were 2-4', then 3-5' after the second. Water temp was 75 degrees, viz was 30' on the first, improving t0 60-70' on the second. Current was slight to moderate south. I did not make the second dive at the captain's request due to the seas. Out of eight passengers, two puked, giving the trip a score of .25 on the Metzinson vommit index.
I wasn't even in the water very long on dive one, but I did manage to see a curious green moray. All in all, it was fun. I think there might have been others on board that may have a longer list of cool stuff. Maybe they will post their sightings.

Kev, I'm glad you finally started the BB dive report going again! Even though I'm way up here in yankee territory I enjoy reading them. :wink:

gfisher4792:
Hmm. I'm no geographer, but I'm pretty sure NC is south of the Mason Dixon Line :wink:

Yeah, that is what I've tried to explain to some people but he just doesn't seem to get it. :D

Its that place thats O at both ends and HI in the middle!

Kevin will hopefully add an eloquent overtone to the report for this weekend. I'll try to fill in until he can add more info.
Friday, I dove LBTS with Scubakev, Marvel, ScubaJenny, and Jen. It was great. Playful eels, tons of shrimp, and a full moon made for great diving. Thanks to ScubaJenny and Marvel for excellent guiding. Exit time 11PM

On to Boynton Beach, Saturday (8:30 AM) found the greatest conditions of the year. You could see parrotfish from the bridge. Conditions were optimal. Viz was outstanding and current was minimal. Two dives in the morning allowed lots of time for viewing. Highlights included mucho eels, many tropicals, and a friendly turtle. I spent most of the second dive taking pictures of hamlets. There were paired up hogfish swimming around the reef. It was awesome.

The afternoon trip found me diving with Kev and PS for both dives. The first dive was at Black Condo. The resident turtle rekindled his friendship with Kevin. The two of them buzzed the ledge for about 15 minutes (in perfect formation). Outstanding!! The second dive was along the top of the reef. I enjoyed playing with a little octopus for a few minutes. He was the coolest ever.
The FIND: I saw a Shell Pile beside a barrel sponge. HMM, I thought, maybe I should inspect the area for an octopus. I found a small rock very close to place my left pointer fingertip on for balance and a pivot point. While scanning the area I noticed movement by my finger, then felt a pull on said finger. Awesome, octopus found me. I observed his natural interaction for a few minutes, then departed the area for more eels and a wonderful drift along some of the best reef ever. Time: 4PM
Last night found Kev, myself, my wife, and another bound for the reef at around 11PM. The moon was perfect for a night dive without a light. We hit the reef around midnight, where team 1 entered the water. I was running the boat, so I made a few runs south to allow the boat drifting room to the flag. Wind was out of the South and was blowing surprisingly strong. Sheri and I entered when first team was secure on deck. Our dive was awesome and relaxing. We killed the lights and followed the reef contour by moonlight for about 10 minutes (we were holding hands, but don't tell anyone :07: ).

I had to take this morning off because I was sleepy :wink: . The afternoon greeted us with flat seas and excellent viz.
Afternoon dives were outstanding. I dove this afternoon with a nice guy from Melbourne. We talked photography and had two phenomenal dives. First dive found eels, a friendly peacock flounder, and a slipping backplate. (Side story, I changed the webbing on my SS plate. The new material is very "supple" and feels great. Problem is that the webbing will not stay in place. Modifications will begin when I finish typing this). The surface interval found discussions of composition for landscape photography. Dive 2 found us shooting eels and sponges, fans and plumes, juvies and grouper.

I'm teaching tomorrow, so we'll be diving the Castor in the AM and a nice piece of reef in the afternoon.

Kev, where are you?

This is what I sent to our email list from Cypress Gardens Adventure Sports....

Scuba

Boynton Beach Trip report

If you have not dove Boynton Beach I suggest that you get signed up on our next trip. The trip was one of the most exciting dives I have done. The boat was not crowded, seas were calm and we had the most attentive Dive Master (Kevin) I have ever been with. The trip began as he came to my car and helped us unload! Wow I thought that was awesome, but he kept amazing me at how attentive he actual was to his passengers. Like I said the boat was not crowded but he gave such awesome personalized service I will definitely dive with Splashdown again. We dove on Black Condo and Lynn’s Reef respectively. Some of the highlights of the two dives were a friendly turtle that actually swam along with us (see pic) for a very long time and abundant, alive coral. We saw a scorpion fish, a HUGE Moray eel, some jumbo queen angels and many butterfly fish. The most spectacular event that I was lucky enough to partake in was playing with an octopus. How much fun can you have on one dive? The most unusual species that Jerry and I saw was a Flamingo Tongue, which is somewhat rare for this part of the reef. Well after the second dive I realized just how attentive DM Kevin was when he came up with me (I was too cold) and he promptly started a hot shower for me! WOW is that service or what. The boat had shampoo and conditioner along with snacks and drinks. Yes I know I am a true princess diver but I guess I deserve it after being in Lake Ariana for 5 hours in the muck. I think everyone at all levels of experience would enjoy a dive at Boynton Beach. Pictures will be up on the web shortly.

Ann Kruse
SSI DiveCon , Marketing Director
Cypress Gardens Adventure Sports
http://www.cypressgardensadventuresports.com

What have the temps at depth been running lately in BB?

It may work out where I can make my first dive of the year this coming weekend.

I'll have a better idea tomorrow if I'll be free for the weekend or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom