Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoa. Here's another report! Four dives today.
Seas were flat on the morning trip, and less than 2' this afternoon. There was a strong North current all day. Water temp was 82 degrees. Vis was possibly the lowest I've ever seen here this morning at about 10', and about 15-20, this afternoon. Cleaner water was about another 300 yards out, but that even looked kinda crappy, maybe 30-40' would be my best guess. Still, we were diving. Woo-Hoo!
Notables from todays trips include Nurse Sharks, a Green Moray, two Hawksbill Turtles and a variety of Groupers. Oh yeah, I saw one of the Pacific Sailfin Tangs too.

Scubakevdm:
Whoa. Here's another report! Four dives today.
Seas were flat on the morning trip, and less than 2' this afternoon. There was a strong North current all day. Water temp was 82 degrees. Vis was possibly the lowest I've ever seen here this morning at about 10', and about 15-20, this afternoon. Cleaner water was about another 300 yards out, but that even looked kinda crappy, maybe 30-40' would be my best guess. Still, we were diving. Woo-Hoo!
Notables from todays trips include Nurse Sharks, a Green Moray, two Hawksbill Turtles and a variety of Groupers. Oh yeah, I saw one of the Pacific Sailfin Tangs too.

Went out to the Castor yesterday afternoon. Vis reminded me of Oregon coast. Took me a minute to figure what part of the wreck I was on. The current was screaming, too. It pulled down my flag and freaked out my greenhorn boat driver so it was a really short dive. The funny part is I just got my new prescription mask and I wanted to see how much more clear everything was!! Fearing now that I'm becoming a WWW. Those cold blackwater guys, like I used to be, have to be tough. I may wait until it clears up to go out again, or not. Staying tuned to your reports,
Don

What a difference overnight! The sedimentation was removed for the most part, vis was back up to about 50' or so, and the current was toned down just a little, maybe 1.25-1.5 kts. Water temp remained comfy at 82 degrees. Seas were less than 2'. We got to see some cool stuff today too, a big nurse shark, green and spotted morays, Pacific sailfin tangs, various groupers including a tiger grouper, more hawksbill turtles and best of all, the daytime reef octopus (its called the common octopus, but we don't see many around here). It was quite nice.

This is my first visit to the reef since Hurricane Jeanne. Seas were less than 2'. Viz was 15-20'. Water temp 82 degrees. I just got out of the water, and I am of the opinion that vis will be back close to normal within the next few days. It has improved from 5' yesterday to 15-20 today. The problem seems to be almost entirely the extremely fine particles caused by sand movement. Generally this type of stuff clears up pretty quickly. There was also a strong North current which should help to expedite the proccess. Lots of Grouper, pretty biggun's. Also some big nurse sharks. No turtles though... that's kind of an oddity.
There was some loss of a variety of soft corals and sponges, but not major. All in all I think the reef did okay.
I'll report again tomorrow as well.

Hey hi! How's it going?
Okay, I just got back from the reef:
Seas were flat, and Vis continues to improve. Dive 1 it was about 30', dive 2, about 45'. Water temp seemed 82-ish, I didn't look. The current was a bit less powerful today, but was still quite strong. The grouper are still there, and I even saw a sleeping loggerhead and two green turtles. Also a nice sized African pompano and a big nurse shark too. With the vis getting better I was able to get a better perspective on the damage. It seems like alot of the big soft corals and sponges were lost, but the smaller ones made it. It's as if the reef got a haircut.

Sounds like it's improving. I'm ready to get wet. Maybe I can get one of my kids to buddy up with me on Sunday. :) I know they're both busy on Saturday...

Al

Made two dives this last Saturday. The weather was good, it did rain a bit in the afternoon. The vis was at about 40 ft, seas 2-4 ft at times and less after the rain. Everything covered by dust from the hurricanes but still lots to see.

What are the dive conditions calling for this weekend? Apr 16-17 /05

GDI:
What are the dive conditions calling for this weekend? Apr 16-17 /05

Can you say UGLEY? :monster:

Issued at 311 PM EDT FRI APR 15 2005

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT...

.TONIGHT...NORTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 8 TO 10 FEET NEAR SHORE
AND UP TO 16 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. MODERATE NORTHEAST SWELLS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SATURDAY...NORTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 9 TO 11 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 17 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. LARGE NORTHEAST
SWELLS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE
MORNING.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...NORTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 9 TO 11 FEET
NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 17 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. LARGE NORTHEAST
SWELLS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER
MIDNIGHT.
.SUNDAY...NORTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 10 TO 12 FEET NEAR SHORE
AND UP TO 17 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. LARGE NORTHEAST SWELLS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS DECREASING TO 15 TO
20 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 9 TO 11 FEET. IN THE
GULF STREAM...SEAS 13 TO 15 FEET SUBSIDING TO 11 TO 13 FEET AFTER
MIDNIGHT. LARGE NORTHEAST SWELLS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN
EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.MONDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 5 TO
7 FEET SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 5 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. IN THE
GULF STREAM...SEAS 8 TO 10 FEET SUBSIDING TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE
AFTERNOON AND EVENING. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS THROUGH THE DAY.
.TUESDAY...EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP IN EXPOSED AREAS.
.WEDNESDAY...EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE
OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom