Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtles to the left of me, stingrays to the right I make my way through the untamed underwater world to bring you... The Boynton Dive Chronicles.
Today's exciting episode is entitled "Turtle Terror".
Daybreak finds our hero gliding siliently over the ledges of Black Condopolis. Out of the corner of his eye he spots what seems to be an ordinary run of the mill great big Loggerhead Turtle sleeping on top of the reef. Upon closer examination though, his sharp eyes notice a familiar bite mark on the turtle's shell.
"Hey! That looks like the turtle that swam over to me a few months back, then kicked me, then swam away!" Scubakev said, perhaps a little too loudly, 'cause the turtle's eye slowly opened and focused on Scubakev's head, just inches away from its powerful bone crushing beak.
Suddenly, before Scubakev could get out of range the turtle clamped onto Scubakev's throat and began twisting in a horrificly violent death roll. Well, maybe he didn't exactly clamp onto his throat, but in one fluid motion he did shut his poweful eyelid and go back to sleep. Maybe I'm up too late filling tanks, and I'm a little demented from being tired. Anyway, here the real report:
Seas 2-3' in the AM, 2-4 then 2-3 again in the PM. Vis was 80' this morning but dropped off to 50' this afternoon. This was due to large "flock" or particles suspended throughout the water column. We saw tons of turtles, including the one that kicked me, nurse sharks, you know, all the regular cool stuff. We did the Castor this afternoon an there was a thermocline at about 80'. Even with the decreased vis, it was nice diving.

Hey! I didn't really dive today, except to jump in and swim with the two manatees just outside of the inlet on the way in from the AM dive. So seas were about 1-2', vis was probably 50' water temp was 84-82 degrees. The Manatees were cool, but didn't really want to play too much. Oh yeah, we saw two Manta Rays on the surface on the way out too.

Whoa! Old Skubakev got a bit behind on his report writing chores. There's six dives since the last report that I owe for, but they're all a blur. Sorry, I've really been working alot lately. Anyway, conditions over the last few days have been as follows:
Seas have been pretty flat, getting a little choppy in the afternoon, but less than 2'. Vis yesterday was the worst at about 30', but I think that was because the sky was cloudy and dark. Before that vis was about 45-50'. There's been some chill in the water, but my computer has always indicated 82 degrees whenever I've looked at it. Tons of turtles around right now. Yesterday I saw a Green that was almost albino, he was very cool looking. Also there was a very curious Green Moray that came out to play. There have been mild north currents at depth, but strong surface currents, and very dense aquatic life.

Hey! How about some 78 degree water all of a sudden? That's what we had today under the first 10 feet of inviting 84 degree water. Scary stuff. Anyway, those of us with ice training suffered through it to bring you today's exciting installment of the Boynton dive report.
Seas were probably 2-4'. Water temp was 78, current was moderate south, Vis was about 75'. We saw a marauding Midnight Parrot and lots of turtles. I think I may have one sea louse bite (Really SBE, and not a bite) on my neck. I'll know more tomorrow.

Whew! The cold water got even colder! The first ten feet is great, like 83 degrees or so, then wham.... 77 degrees. I dove two reefs, Briney Breezes and Gazebo, then did a night dive on the Capt. Tony. The water dowm on the at 85' felt like 73 degrees. All of the plankton and jellies and stuff packed into the warm water layer blocking out alot of light, so the vis was like 40' or so. We saw regular cool stuff. I'm still at work, and very sleepy. Sorry about the crappy report.

Chillin' like Bob Dylan in "Nutrient rich" water. The scary green water remains and in it lurks some extra cool suprises for the brave... Bull sharks! Great big ones! Here's the poop:
Seas were about 2', water temp... 82 up top, 75 down below. Brrr. Vis... probably 65' up top... 35' below. We did Gazebo and Tabletops. Cool stuff included a yellow stingray, a baby Green Turtle, a very curious Hawksbill Turtle and the biggest Bullshark I've seen. She was about 14' and very very girthy. I tried to catch up to her for a better look, but she just sauntered off up over the reef. She had big remoras on her too. Lots of divers saw Bulls all over the reef. I think they were in following the Bonitos (their favorite), which I think were following the "Nutrient rich" water. BTW "Nutrient rich" is dive op code talk for cold water and crappy vis. It really is rich in nutrients and very dense with life, so you see really cool stuff if you can bare the horrificly cold 75 degree water.

Man - what gives with this cold water. I put my 3mm away about a month ago. Saturday, off Pompano, I dove in a bathing suit and the temp was 70 (!) at 100 feet. Think I'll put the wetsuit back in my dive bag for awhile.

Scubakevdm:
Chillin' like Bob Dylan in "Nutrient rich" water. The scary green water remains and in it lurks some extra cool suprises for the brave... Bull sharks! Great big ones! Here's the poop:
Seas were about 2', water temp... 82 up top, 75 down below. Brrr. Vis... probably 65' up top... 35' below. We did Gazebo and Tabletops. Cool stuff included a yellow stingray, a baby Green Turtle, a very curious Hawksbill Turtle and the biggest Bullshark I've seen. She was about 14' and very very girthy. I tried to catch up to her for a better look, but she just sauntered off up over the reef. She had big remoras on her too. Lots of divers saw Bulls all over the reef. I think they were in following the Bonitos (their favorite), which I think were following the "Nutrient rich" water. BTW "Nutrient rich" is dive op code talk for cold water and crappy vis. It really is rich in nutrients and very dense with life, so you see really cool stuff if you can bare the horrificly cold 75 degree water.

When I said cook up something cool for Friday I had no idea!
But then I always have said you are the Man! :wink:

Thanks guys for another fab day on the reef. The current was really ripping. Viz was'nt that great, but the company was stellar and the diving really was great.

I have no idea how fast the current was but this was as close to flying as I have ever come. The current was heading north but an occasional surge made things interesting.

Kev I'll leave the particulars to you but the 1st dive was 64'.
Temp 84 degrees. 1hr on the bottom. 2nd dive ditto.

Some shots of the critters are attached. The huge nurse shark didnt make the cut. Hopefully Peter got a shot!

BIGSAGE136:
Kev I'll leave the particulars to you but the 1st dive was 64'.
Temp 84 degrees. 1hr on the bottom. 2nd dive ditto.

Hey! Great to see you again BigSage! Unfortunately I didn't get to dive today, so I can't write anything about the conditions below. I like the Angel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom