Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augie:
Kev,

Any idea why the viz was so...mediocre?

I don't know... I was out today though and vis looked like about 80'. I didn't dive, so I can't really write a report. Seas were flat, current was slight north, people were happy.

Scubakevdm:
I don't know... I was out today though and vis looked like about 80'. I didn't dive, so I can't really write a report. Seas were flat, current was slight north, people were happy.

Off Deerfield this afternoon the vis was about 100', seas were flat, there was a mild-strong south current (third reef) and we were happy. Oh - and the temp was 81.

lhpdiver:
Off Deerfield this afternoon the vis was about 100', seas were flat, there was a mild-strong south current (third reef) and we were happy. Oh - and the temp was 81.

I sincerely hope that this weather holds out twice the amount the bad weather did... 100', that's Coz quality!!!!

Scubakevdm:

Got any room tomorrow? Check your voice mail.

bullshark

Hey! Hows about another Dive Report? I only got to jump in for one dive today, in the afternoon. The morning appeared to be considerably better... at least from topside. Anyway, here's the stats.
Seas were less than 2'. Vis was like 30'.... this morning I heard anything from 40' to 80' when I asked. Temp was down at 77 degrees. The current was hard North probably around 2 kts. Notable were a pair of Scorpionfish, and a giant Green Morray. Just as we turned West into the inlet, we crossed into blue water.
Perhaps anyone who dove this morning could provide us with the sorted details of their dive?

Sunday, May 30, 1:00PM.

We did the afternoon dive out of Boynton Beach on The Deeper. They had a large group from a dive shop in Orlando in the morning, 22 divers, but we only had seven on the afternoon trip, four of which were my group.

Seas mostly flat, a very small swell with some light wind chop, probably blowing 5-10 mph from the south and south-southeast.

First dive was on Delray Ledges. Slight north current, vis about 30-40', temp varied from 76-78F. My wife and son saw a small spotted moray and a couple of nice sized lobsters. A very large group of hogfish were hanging around, and we also saw a big filefish, and a small yellow ray.

Second dive was on Briny Breezes, a bit stronger current here, vis 25-30', temp read 77F on my computer. Lot of BIG angelfish, a couple of squid swimming together, and tons of puffers and trunkfish.

All in all, a very good first dive day of the year for us!

Happy Memorial Day! I jumped in today for about 10 minutes to tie off on the Capt Tony, then decided that there was too much current and aborted. We did two reefs instead, which I did not dive. Anyway conditions on the Tony were as follows:
Seas were less than 2'... probably flat calm if it wasn't for boat traffic. Vis was around 50' at depth with a milky layer of about 25' vis up top. There were large particulate globules suspended throughout the water column. Current was about 1.25 kts to the north. Water temp was 77 according to my computer, but felt more like 76. There seemed to be a slight thermocline at about 45'. Though I didn't dive the reefs people seemed to have a good time in spite of the conditions and reported seeing lots of turtles and a big Red Grouper.

Hey! The scary cold green water seems to be leaving! I snuck out and did a couple of dives today... here's the status:
Seas were flat, vis was about 30' on the first dive, maybe 40 on the second. Water temp was back up to 78 degrees. The current was strong north, maybe 2 kts. Encouraging was that the blue water had moved as close as the 100' mark by the second dive. Now let me tell you that its not very often that old Scubakev gets to wander around the reef doing what he wants to do, 'cause he's usually helping someone else do whatever they want to do. So today's dives were an extra special treat.
The first dive was Delray Ledges. Notable was the curious Cobia that circled me for a while, a Gag Grouper being cleaned by Gobies, and three Loggerhead Turtles.
Next we did Briney Breezes. The current was really moving up there, so actually I did Briney, part of Gazebo and Jerry's No-name. Notables included a nice sized African Pompano, a Black Grouper, more Loggerheads and a Yellow Stingray. I had lots of fun.

Scubakevdm:
The first dive was Delray Ledges. Next we did Briney Breezes.

Sounds like a good itinerary to me! :wink:

I'm still holding out hope that I can sneak down to give it a go again this weekend.

Warmer and clearer sounds great!

After that I'll be off to Alaska for a week or so - AND I AIN'T DIVING THERE! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom