Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport:
Get the seas down to 1-2 ft, i get there next week. Vis 50, Thanks kev

I'm not sure when you'll be here, but I'm working on it. Here's NOAA's forcast for the weekend:

SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUNDAY
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Scubakevdm:
I'm not sure when you'll be here, but I'm working on it. Here's NOAA's forcast for the weekend:

SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO SEAS 3 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUNDAY
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
may6-10 diving 7,8,9

Hey, that's great! I look forward to meeting you. And a great big hello and howd'y do to every one else. Thanks for reading this. Old Scubakev is struggling with a crippled up thumb after a nearly fatal fishing accident last night, but through rain, sleet and mostly sunny afternoons I must deliver the Boynton Dive report. So....
Seas were a little rough this morning, probably 2-4, but seemed to be laying down as the day went on. Vis was about 55' on the first dive (Gazebo) and about 45' on the second (Lynn's). The big news today was WATER TEMP- 78 degrees on the old Uwatec. Spring is in the air, and in the water. Notable at Gazebo was one of the large Pacific Sailfin Tangs, who almost got wrangled into a photo, but he just wouldn't cooperate. This was my 5th and best attempt. You know what they say, the sixth time's the charm. Anyway towards the end of my effort he did the fin pump thing where they try to look bigger than they are to scare stuff that bothers them. It didn't work.
Up on Lynn's there was a giant elderly hawksbill turtle munching on some sponge. Hawksbills just really don't seem to be impressed by much. I was hovering about 6" directly in front of it and it kinda just sat there and looked at me like what? Whatever. There were tons of fish, but the moderate North current made it a little difficult for some on the second dive. Tomorrow we do the Tony, so don't touch that dial.

Scubak lets get the seas down to calm, see you in 5 days. It would be nice if it would'nt rain either.

Hey! Seas were flat today, let's see if it holds out for your visit. Anyway, I went out on my friends boat today, so here's the report:
Seas were flat, building to 1-2' on the way in. Vis was about 60'. Water temp... 78 degrees and holding. I go to dive with Bob Hersey, who is one of my secret dive heros. Old Bob is one of the original gurus. Man he's done some neat stuff. Anyway, I always love diving with Bob. So we did Black condo and Jerry's No-Name. Notable on Black condo was the 6' Lemon Shark that passed 1 1/2' behind two divers untangling a speared amberjack. They had two on a stringer already, which were what appeared to be the focus of the shark's attention. The two divers were unaware of it's pressence. Apparently, he wasn't very hungry, and dissappeared after the initial pass.
The Jerry's dive was a recvovery mission, though unsuccesful. I did spot two Flying Gurnards together and a Guitarfish. pretty fun stuff.

Hey! Another great day to be diving. Seas were 2-3', Vis was 65' and water temp remains 78 degrees. We did Gulfstream and Delray. Cool stuff on Gulfstream was a pack of marauding Midnight Parrots that shadowed the group for awhile, and lots of turtles, two Greens and a Loggerhead. We've been seeing courtship behaviours lately.
Delray cool stuff included the elusive Golden tail Morray, as well as a Green and a Spotted one too, and a platter sized baby Green Sea Turtle that played on the safety stop.

Hey! What a great day for diving today was. Seas were 2' or so, Vis was 75' and water temp was 78, except for a thermocline on the first dive at 40' that dropped down to 75 degrees.
The first dive was Black Condo. Notables included two shy Loggerheads, quite a few King Mackeral and a Nurse Shark.
The second dive I did tabletops. Notables included two more Nurse Sharks, one freeswimming, a Hawksbill Turtle, and this giant Green Sea Turtle that Peter got a picture of the other day. Look how thick his tail is. It was nice diving.

Oops! I'm tardy. Hey, but 5/7 was an interesting day to dive. Aquasport is in town and he and I headed over to Jim's boat for a couple of dives. One of the other folks had an odd little medical thing happen about 3 minutes before the first dive, so we turned around and brought him back, just to be on the safe side. Seas were 2-4' Viz was about 50', water temp, 78 (I think) Anyway, we did some little known spots, the identities of which I am sworn to protect or simply do not know. The first drop was the tail end of Jerry's No-Name, and we just busted into the juicy part of tabletops when we came up. Notables included a small friendly Green Sea Turtle, a lobster, and I think a Green Morray. I can't remember which dive he was on to be honest with you, but I think it was the first.
Next we did Lynn's. Well, we started out on Lynn's, but I was afraid the current was going to blow us off of the reef, so we hunkered down in a safer, but less interesting spot that has no name that I am aware of. We saw a big male Hawksbill that wanted absolutely nothing to do with us and a great big African Pompano too.

Hey! Here's today's report:
Seas were 2-4' again, water temp was 77 degrees, viz was variable, but mostly around 45'. Lots of flock today. Aquasport was here again today, and this time we headed a bit farther South to Briney Breezes and then Gulfstream Ledge.
Briney is a cool blend of the cliffy high relief structure typical of the south half of the reef and the craggly structure of the north half. Big schools of snapper and grunts and stuff like that seem to like the cliffy stuff and cool ornamental type stuff usually hangs out in the craggles. Notables included a big Green Morray, a snoozing Loggerhead and a tiny Spotted Morray. Oooh, and a midnight parrot. Towards the end of the dive the viz dropped out to like 25' and the water was brown. It was gross.
Next we went even further south to escape the ugly brown water to Gulfstrean Ledge (where we were going yesterday when the incident happened). Gulfstream is all cliffy high relief. I don't really remember anything especially notable. I did see another big Green Morray. It was mostly just a cool, fun dive. Aquasport may have seen other stuff, he was up ahead of me with Peter most of the dive. Perhaps he'll share. For now... I'm pooped.

Hey! Here's the dive report for today. Seas were rough, probably 4-6'. Viz was about 30', water temp 78. We did Black Condo, then Castle Ledge.
I don't recall what happened on which dive, so here's the notables in one big clump. One sleeping Loggerhead and one swimming, a Purple-mouthed Moray and a Goldentailed one too. Sorry to make this so short, but old Scubakev has fallen behind on his chores, and it's already 9:30.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom