Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winton:
Hey, how come all you gotta do is dive everyday?

Winton :11:

Hmmm. Well, I gotta do more than just dive everyday. I also have to get the boat ready for every trip, clean the boat after every trip, fix the boat, and do regular maintenance to the boat too. I help people while they're on the boat and sometimes while they're diving. Then I fill tanks. I also work in the shop helping customers, and fixing and overhauling regulators. I also fix the shop sometimes. For instance, right now I'm remodeling the bathroom. ( I'm taking a break in between coats of paint.) Usually I spend about 12 hours at work, 4 of them diving, except days that we have two trips when I spend about 16 hours at work, 8 of them diving.
So really, I do work pretty hard doing lots of stuff so that I can have a cool job where I get to dive alot. :wink:

Whew! Gosh it feels like its been months since I've been out on the reef. It's been kinda breezy out this way for a while, until yesterday. Anyway, today was the day of cool stuff. Seas had settled down to 2-4' on the way out and eventually 1-3' on the way back in. The vis was a little foggy, about 55' but still pretty blue. Water temp was 78 degrees. The current was moderate to strong North, about 1.5 kts. We did Black Condo first and then Gazebo.
Black Condo was cool. Notables included Reef Squid, a Southern Stingray, a small Green Turtle and two big Green Morrays.
Next was Gazebo where we saw three Sailfin Tangs, Spadefish, a Goliath Grouper about 6' long, a small school of large Barracuda and a GIANT Loggerhead. We swam alongside a friendly Nurse Shark for a while, and a Hawksbill Turtle too. It was a really nice day of diving.
Here's a pic of the boat Peter took last Saturday to give you an idea of what the seas have been like. Waves that day were 4-6'.

Woo-hoo! What a great weekend of diving! It was also a great weekend of board visitors. Yesterday Big Sage rolled up and went swimming with us. I didn't get to jump in, but it looked like a beautiful day to dive. Then, in the afternoon GDI had a group over for a couple dives. Then today, Dantastic finished up his OW cert along with his father and brother. Congratulations to them, they did a great job.
Today I did get to dive, so here's today's report;
Seas were 2-3', current was slight north, Vis... 75' or so, maybe 80. Water temp.... 78 degrees. I was on a mission, so I didn't get to take in the sights as much as I would normally, but did see Two great big Loggerhead Turtles, a Spotted Morray, and tons of fish. A very pretty dive. Perhaps Dantastic will read this and add to it. GDI and Big Sage too.

It was a wonderful weekend. Glad to see you guys again, and anytime I get to dive with Peter its a pleasure. Anybody who stayed in thinking it was going to be rough seas and poor viz really missed out. It was postcard perfect. Turtles cudas, and loads of fish. We were drifting and a had a lot to take in. I'm sharing a few photos and really look forward to the next time. Holding good thoughts for Captn Lynn :wink: .

Thanks kev for the great dives. It was great to learn from people who are really enthusiastic about diving. Both dives were awesome, and my brother, father, and i all had a great time. We are certainly hooked. The reef is great and we will definetly be back on the splashdown boat for another look. Thanks again

May 20-22.
Guys I have to tell you that this last weekend of diving at Boynton was great. The seas were flat at barely 1-2's and the vis was at least 50-60 feet with so blue a colour to the water. I was there friday with Mark Vlahos completing his Adv Nitrox Deco class. We made a dive to 150 ft and vould clearly see everything. (we did have a flat bottom though) Later that night I did a night dive with some other students and the water was clear and the marine life out (our second dive). The next day I had some O/W students and we had a great day of diving conditions. It looks like Boynton was back to it's ol' great diving self. Many happy faces. Great job by the charter boat capt's helping each other out with their groups. this kind of comraderie is what diving is all about!

I was referred to the scubaboard by Kevin at splashdown and I can see now that I will be a regular, especially in the AZ chat room. I will be coming to Boynton Beach on May 31 before a mtg in Orlando all week. The information on this board is priceless for those that are coming from out of town to play in your swimming pool. Thanks for the condition report! This is very helpful but when it comes down to it, it is going to take alot to keep from getting into the water! Thanks again!

Tom Y.
Phoenix, AZ

Hey! I'm back with another exciting installment of the Boynton Dive Report! Seas were like 2-3', water temp was 78 degrees, the current was moving north gently and the vis was not so hot. We did a wreck and a reef. On the Wreck (Capt Tony)we had about 55', on the reef (Gulfstream) we had between 25' and 40'. It varied.
Anyway, the Tony was great. A Goliath Grouper and I spent some quality time together after I tied off the down line, but when the rest of the divers came down he got a little nervous and slipped into on of the hatches in the bottom of the cargo hold. We go to swim with a Green Sea Turtle for a minute back by the screw, and spotted a big Southern Stingray, a medium large African Pompano, and a Furry Sea Cucumber too! Cool stuff.
Next we did Gulfstream, but the vis was way dowm. There were tons of fish, but not really any big stuff. Oh well, we had fun anyway. Even with low vis it was a fun dive.

Kev,

Any idea why the viz was so...mediocre?

Up here in central Florida we're dying for rain. According to the weather service we have a high pressure area that will be making it's way towards you folks as the week progresses. I figured no rain = little or no runoff= great viz - show's what I know. :cwmddd:

I figured it was setting up for calm seas and clear water for this weekend - we may FINALLY get wet this year!

I'll certainly be able to live with 25'-40' viz, but I'm sure hoping for the 70'+!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom