Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! I finally got to dive again! Woo Hoo! So here's yet another Boynton Dive Report....

Seas were 2-3' this morning, but had setteled down to 1-2' by the this afternoon, which is when I dove. Water temp was warm... I didn't look but probably 84 degrees. The vis was about 50-60'. It was blue water, but there was some haze to it. The current was moderate and North.
The first dive was an experiment and has no name. It was in 100' of water on some patchy reef. Notable was a large school of large bonito, and a large school of barracuda, a cubera snapper and three lobsters.
Next we did Lynn's. The current was really clipping up there however, there was cool stuff. Cool stuff included a large Black Grouper, big schools of Horse Eyed Jack, Cravalle Jack, and a freeswimming Green Moray. We went past God's Spot, and did The Jump on our hang. It was a nice dive.

Hey! I went diving! Here's the poop:
First dive was on a shallow debris reef off of Boynton Public (on a mission). Seas were 2', current was strong North, vis was 20', water temp 86.5 degrees. Notable was a very large and very stubborn Southern Stingray, and 14.6 godzillion sand dollars.
Dive two was up on top of the reef proper, at Lynn's. Vis was about 50', current was still pretty strong, water temp, 84. Notable were one giant Green Sea Turtle and two giant Loggerheads (very very friendly), a large school of large Barracuda and a small Nurse Shark which stalked us at close range. Very nice stuff.

What a nice day today was for diving. Yesterday's strong currents have diminished and pretty blue water has moved in.
Seas were less than 2', current was moderate North, vis was probably 60'. The first dive was Lynn's. Noteable were two of the Pacific Sailfin Tangs. I was on another mission, so I didn't get to look around too much. I think Peter might have gotten some shots of the Tangs.
Next we did Gazebo. Actually, now that I think about it, this is where we saw the Pacific Sailfin Tangs. I don't remember what we saw on Lynn's... I did't see a turtle on either dive though, which is odd. Hmmm. Anyway, I was suposed to be watching a diver, not the scenery so I'm afraid my report is a bit dull. Sorry!

Hey! I got to get wet on Sunday afternoon! We did the Capt. Tony and Castle to Lynn's. Here's how it went:
Seas were about 1', Vis was like 60' on the Tony, and like 70' on the reef. There were large suspended globules. Spring is in the air I guess, I don't know. Anyway... water temp was 85 degrees with no discernable thermoclines.
On the wreck we got to see a medium sized Green Turtle and the resident Goliath Grouper. There were also tons of Barracuda. The current was very slight North, then West and was swinging Southwest as I unhooked the down line.
Out on the reef we saw two more turtles, both Hawksbills, both totally focused on eating. We also saw two Green Morays, one giant. I saw a Cubera Snapper, he was little and a big Red Grouper too. It was fun. The current couldn't have been more perfect, just mild and to the North. I had fun.

My brother and I made the trip south yesterday (Sunday) morning to do the morning dive on board The Deeper out of Boynton. We went farther south than usual, first dive was on Fink's Grouper Hole, and the second we did a Shark Reef/Little Shark Reef combo.

Vis was in the 60ft or so range, I think it would have been incredible if not for all of the suspended stuff Kevin mentioned.

First dive computer read 85 degrees, no lower than 84 on the second.

Seas were like a lake. Current was very mild north.

We saw a shark (possibly a sand shark I still haven't positively ID'd it yet) and large moray swimming out inthe open on the first dive, as well as some nice size lobsters that can read the calendar!

Second dive there were a lot of schooling fish as well as some grouper, hogfish, and packs of patrolling barracuda.

A great day to be diving!

Hey! Here's how the water was today out on the reef. Seas were flat on the way out, but built to 2' during the second dive due to an isolated storm. Water temp was 86 degrees every time I looked. Vis was 70-80'. Current was very mild South on the first dive, mild South on the second. We did Black condo in reverse, then the Jump, Inside Out up to God's Spot, then Lynn's. There were playful Hawksbill turtles and a small nurse shark stalked us. I wonder if someone played the old fish guts in the BC pocket trick on me.

Whoa... Looks like someone got a little bit complacent with the old dive reporting. Sorry. Here's a composite of the last couple of weeks. The water got really cold... about 79 degrees but now it's warm again. Lots of Bull Sharks came with the cold water, so that was cool. Then the cold water went away about a week ago. Its 86 again. I haven't seen a bull either lately, but someone on another boat saw a Hammerhead today. I like Hammerheads. I will try to be a bit more diligent with the reports. Sorry!

Finally dove with Splashdown. Kevin is a great DM. Boynton Beach rocks!!

Enjoyed the 6AM trip so much we are going back at 4PM.

So, I managed to squeeze in a couple of dives between storms. Here's the particulars... Oh and by the way, sorry for not posting the reports over the last several months. Maybe I'll be able to start with regular ones again soon.
Anyway, here's what was going on.
Seas were 3-5', water temp was probably 84 or 85, the vis was a little off at about 25-30' and green. The current was moderate North on the first dive (Black Condo) and stong North on the second (Table Tops). Most notable was the amount of vegitation and debris accumulated in all the nooks and crannies around the reef. Almost as notable was the number of Grouper and other gamefish around today. Mostle small Black Grouper, but some big ones too. I saw probably 40 Blacks, and 4 Red Groupers. Dog Snappers and Cuberas, and a heap of Muttons too. The Yellowtails were much larger than what I normally see on the reef too. I did capture one Red Grouper for dinner tonight.
Cool non-gamefish stuff included a big Loggerhead that swam right over me, and a Spotted Moray that thought he might try and swipe my fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom