Trip Report Caymans Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but their boats are 6-10' shorter than the LCBR boats and don't have the upper level seating area,
Both boats had upper level seating, just not that big an area. On the smaller boat I think 2-4 and on the bigger 4-6.
We did enjoy the lack of people at SCC. Pool almost always empty and had it to your self. Same for the beach, chairs and hammocks. Some people though may find it too quiet - depends what you are looking for.

We just returned from a week at LCBR. Diving was splendid. Absolutely minimal bleaching. Brain and moon corals in excellent condition. Overall stonies were in excellent shape. Swim throughs were superb. Complete opposite to both Bonaire and Cozumel.

I was surprised to see the reefs in such good condition. My biased opinion of the “absence” of SCTLD is the lack of cruise ships visiting the island. The Nassau Grouper has made a commendable come back since we were last there. There were dozens on each dive. We saw reef sharks, turtles, squid, eagle rays and the usual cast of characters. No shortage of fish at all.

I highly recommend diving there now. They limit you to 60mins per dive but that’s more than enough for me. Together with great rooms and food, this is a fantastic place to dive right now.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

Both boats had upper level seating, just not that big an area. On the smaller boat I think 2-4 and on the bigger 4-6.
We did enjoy the lack of people at SCC. Pool almost always empty and had it to your self. Same for the beach, chairs and hammocks. Some people though may find it too quiet - depends what you are looking for.
No such thing as too quiet for me. Fewer people is just another reason why I like to go in August/September. My wife and I usually carefully watch the dive briefing to find out which way the group is going, then we try to drop in first and go the other way.

We just returned from a week at LCBR. Diving was splendid. Absolutely minimal bleaching. Brain and moon corals in excellent condition. Overall stonies were in excellent shape. Swim throughs were superb. Complete opposite to both Bonaire and Cozumel.

I was surprised to see the reefs in such good condition. My biased opinion of the “absence” of SCTLD is the lack of cruise ships visiting the island. The Nassau Grouper has made a commendable come back since we were last there. There were dozens on each dive. We saw reef sharks, turtles, squid, eagle rays and the usual cast of characters. No shortage of fish at all.

I highly recommend diving there now. They limit you to 60mins per dive but that’s more than enough for me. Together with great rooms and food, this is a fantastic place to dive right now.

@tridacna what did you see as the water temps? Good report, i'll be there next month.

@tridacna what did you see as the water temps? Good report, i'll be there next month.
86F on every dive. No thermocline and NO wetsuit required. Some people started with a 3mm. They literally took them off as soon as they got back on the boat after the first dive and they got stowed away.

1We just returned from a week at LCBR. Diving was splendid. Absolutely minimal bleaching. Brain and moon corals in excellent condition. Overall stonies were in excellent shape. Swim throughs were superb. Complete opposite to both Bonaire and Cozumel.

Glad to see it's recovered as it was super disappointing last September - massive bleaching and sparse life. Hopefully, this summer doesn't screw it up again, but I'll try springtime if I go again. I'm 6 weeks post hip replacement, so no diving for a little while longer - otherwise I'd be tempted to make a quick visit while it's good :) .

86F on every dive
Thanks for confirming what we were seeing for water temps the week or two before your trip. Almost too warm even in just a rash guard and swim shorts. I am not sure folks believed me. It was nice the few times we dove into a bit cooler water.

Thanks for confirming what we were seeing for water temps the week or two before your trip. Almost too warm even in just a rash guard and swim shorts. I am not sure folks believed me. It was nice the few times we dove into a bit cooler water.
I agree! Occasionally the temp would dip to 84 or 85 at 100+ feet. It was delicious!

86F on every dive. No thermocline and NO wetsuit required. Some people started with a 3mm. They literally took them off as soon as they got back on the boat after the first dive and they got stowed away.
86 degrees seems very warm for the 1st week of June, I hope that does not portend a heavy bleaching year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom