Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had some awesome diving Friday and today. Seas picked up a little today.

Oliver, where are the Eel shots?

We need reports. I would write them, but my descriptions aren't as descriptive as Kevin's (or Waterdaughter, or BigSage, or .....)

Welcome, Brad and Danielle, to the world of certified (or certifiable) divers!!

Cheers,
Jamie

Divesherpa:
We had some awesome diving Friday and today. Seas picked up a little today.

Oliver, where are the Eel shots?

We need reports. I would write them, but my descriptions aren't as descriptive as Kevin's (or Waterdaughter, or BigSage, or .....)

Welcome, Brad and Danielle, to the world of certified (or certifiable) divers!!

Cheers,
Jamie

Guys, it was awesome. :D I shot in raw so I'm in the lab playing. See ya real soon. Promise. :wink:

BIGSAGE136:
I shot in raw

Whoa...were you cold :wink: ?

My brother and I dove with DCI out of Boynton yesterday (Saturday) morning.

Seas were a little bumpy, but not terrible. Probably all of the 2'-4' forecasted by the NWS with occasional swells that were bigger.

First dive we did Boynton Ledges/Briny. Mark and I were on our own - he took the float on the first dive. I'd estimate the vis at about 40=50', mainly due to a lot of particulate in the water. My computer read between 76-78 degrees. The current was little bit northwest and fairly ripping - we had to head east a little because by the time we descended we had drifted off of the reef a bit.

We saw a small spotted eel, and a large green one, and a quite large midnight parrottfish.

I forget the name of the second site, but it seems like it was roughly just offshore of the water tower south of the inlet. Lots of soft corals! We got dropped on top of the reef rather than our customary inside, due to the current. By the end of the dive we were still at the 60'-70' range, but were well above the bottom. We saw a sea turtle right before we began our ascent, and a remora "played" with us from the time we began ascending until we were picked up by the boat - some of the other groups reported that it did the same thing to them.

It wasn't the kind of day I'd like to be out in a boat all day, but it sure was nice to FINALLY get back in the water (the hurricanes killed my dive season last year - I hadn't been since January).

Hope we'll be back again soon!

Whoa! What a huge day of diving I had today! A huge great hammerhead, a very large pod of spotted dolphin and a horny old loggerhead.
We did four dives:
Dive one was the wreck Capt. Tony. Vis was about 90' Water temp, 77 degrees. No current. Cool stuff included the Goliath Grouper that lives there, and I discovered the deck of a large pleasure boat at an undisclosed location. I will investigate this in the very near future.
Dive two was Lynn's reef. Vis was probably 75', water temp, 77 degrees, and just the slightest north current. I stayed on the surface of the water just in my mask and fins due to the configuration of the trip. I still had tons of fun, and saw the biggest hammerhead I've ever seen. She had to weigh 900 lbs. Broad, incredibly thick and no neck. She swam along the floats eyeballing the groups, I could see the sinew ripple under her skin as she passed under me (about 20' below) then turned west and sauntered off. Only one group out of the four saw her. Awesome.
Dive three was Black Condo in reverse. Vis was probably 60', water temp 77 degrees with just the slightest south current. We saw tons of morays and a cool medium sized nurse shark that was out and about, maybe lookin' for grub.
The coolest of them all was dive four. Yes. Dive four was Tabletops in reverse starting with the finger. Vis was only about 45' up there, and the current was still slightly southward, but with a little bit of west in it too. The first cool thing was treasure (a fishing pole) followed shortly thereafter by a pod of spotted dolphins. I saw about 25, but I'm sure there were lots that I couldn't see. I was about 20' away from the closest edge of the pod. Awesome. Then, a little bit later, along comes this big old loggerhead. He came straight at me, closer, closer, closer... until his beak touched my mask! Woo. Then he put his arms around me. Ack! I ended the date at that point by gently pushing him back with my hand. Hey! His belly was really soft in between the plates! Hmm... what do you know. Anyway, he kinda just headed off to the north just like nothing ever happened. Kinda gives a new meaning to the term "turlte molestation". There was a cool stingray after that too, and a couple of amberjack as well, but the turtle, the dolphin and the hammerhead stole the show today.

Scubakevdm:
Whoa! What a huge day of diving I had today! A huge great hammerhead, a very large pod of spotted dolphin and a horny old loggerhead.
We did four dives:
What an incredible day of diving - I can't wait to get there and dive with you!!! Tell the hammerhead and turtle to hang around a little while longer, please!!!

robint

On the anniversary of her mishap, Captain Lynn has re-entered the water with great success. For those who don't know, on this day last year Captain Lynn suffered multiple cerebral aneurisms, one burst and several leaking. By some miracle she was spared and has made a full recovery.
Today, she returned to the reef for her first dive since the incident. Vis was boomin' at about 80' or so. The current was moderate and south. Water temp was 78. The spot was Gazebo, the step ledge. I was driving the boat, so I have no first hand knowledge of the dive until after she came up about 50 minutes into the drift. By that point we were into Briney Breezes. I jumped in to join Peter, and who do you suppose I found? The horny loggerhead. He was a bit more civil today though, just a peck on the cheek and away he went.
It was great to see Lynn back in the water.

Congratulations Captain Lynn! It must have been wonderful...
Hope to have the pleasure of diving with you soon!
Cathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom