Blacktip firmware modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang it. Do you know if I can still adjust the stock settings with the VESC? At a minimum, I just want to turn off safe start

I think you can.

And to that end, my computer doesn't detect anything when I connect my BlackTip, either. But, when I follow the instructions shown in the DiveX video on updating the firmware, it does work.

Safest, of course, is to use the $$ command to get it to dump all the current settings. Totally non-destructive, so to speak. If that works, then you can confirm what the current SS value is before you change it.

I'll give it another go tomorrow after work. It's reassuring that you have a similar issue with it not detecting.

Safe start with version 1.18

Have had problems with safe start on the previous release 1.15 especially when attempting to use the Blacktip at depths beyond 50m/265ft where the motor won’t come out of slow mode.

After updating to 1.18 safe start now works as it should at depth, certainly down to 65m/215ft. It’s really made a massive difference to the operation of the Blacktip — so much more reliable and never messes around with starting up.

Personally I like the concept of safe start as it gives you a second to determine if there’s something in the prop before it goes to full speed.

After I updated to 1.18, with SS enabled, my BT would start up and run normally on land. But, when I took it in the water, it would not start. Only try to start and sit there with the prop stuttering.

I got out, dried it off, hooked up my laptop, turned off SS, got back in, and it has been fine ever since.

I do not trust SS. Having my scooter decide not to run midway through a dive is not desirable.

Also, since they changed the firmware (in v1.18) to not actually detect prop interference - it only waits 3 seconds before starting to run at full speed (or something like that) - I think SS is no longer useful at all, even if it worked 100% reliably.

Note: Even with SS turned off, the prop does not start instantaneously, nor does it seem to start at full speed immediately. It still takes a blink to start and seems like it also still gives at least one stutter or so before it goes to full speed.

I suspect the non-instantaneous start is inherent to the trigger design. You double-click to start, but it has to wait after the 2nd click to see if you are really doing a triple-click (or more) before it responds. So, whatever the timeout that it uses for allowing an additional click to register is always going to be the delay before it can respond to any click command.

After I updated to 1.18, with SS enabled, my BT would start up and run normally on land. But, when I took it in the water, it would not start. Only try to start and sit there with the prop stuttering.

I got out, dried it off, hooked up my laptop, turned off SS, got back in, and it has been fine ever since.

I do not trust SS. Having my scooter decide not to run midway through a dive is not desirable.
Interesting.

Mine was a bloody pain with the 1.15 release. I never realised what was going on until I did a deep dive and found it worked shallow but not deep. I guessed that there's more friction/whatever at depth on the seals which meant the Safe Start thought the prop was fouled.

Since the update to 1.18 it's worked fine every time I've used it.

Have another set of dives coming up very shortly if the weather plays ball -- it's changed from a month of stable, calm, warm conditions into storms, all my fault as I've got some dives booked.

I'm honestly just trying to start. I don't even know what firmware I have. Going to try again here shorty to see if I can connect, but I have been told on the FB group that VESC won't talk to it because of the new firmware. I only have one USB port on my laptop, so you would thing I wouldn't have any comport issues but IDK.

I'm honestly just trying to start. I don't even know what firmware I have. Going to try again here shorty to see if I can connect, but I have been told on the FB group that VESC won't talk to it because of the new firmware. I only have one USB port on my laptop, so you would thing I wouldn't have any comport issues but IDK.
Dive Xtras is very helpful with support. It’s worth contacting them

Dive Xtras is very helpful with support. It’s worth contacting them
Unfortunately, they seem to have removed most of the content related to firmware. Possibly because several Blacktip owners bricked their scooters. Please report back if they are helpful when it comes to firmware.

And, yes, 1.18 seems to be more reliable than 1.15 for many, turning safe start off in 1.18 definitely improves usability. The non-Dive X enhanced 2.2 version is based on the 1.18 code base, and for some of us provides several beneficial features, which Dive-X should have included

If your serial number is above a certain number, you can only use the newest Dive-X firmware or you could brick your Blacktip

I wanted to go ahead and provide an update.
I am currently adding some code to handle custom battery packs. This will keep from having to mess with a resistor mod.
I am also thinking about adding some changes to cruise. I was thinking maybe have it stay C on the display, flash periodically, or maybe cycle from C to the speed you are in. Any suggestions?

Work got in the way and I haven't had much time for side projects. I do hope to test the code on the old and new hardware soon. I do have a build of the previous firmware (minus the changes I am working on) that should work on the latest hardware but I haven't tested it at all. I would like to at least put it on something myself to make sure there are no obvious or dangerous issues before letting anyone else try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom