Blacktip firmware modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benjammin17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been working on making some changes to the blacktip esc firmware. I wanted to see if there was any interest in the changes I made and if anyone had ideas or suggestions. Once I am happy with the code, I will release the source.
I haven't had time to do a lot of testing so I don't know if the increased limits are pushing it too much or not.

Here are the changes I made. Let me know what you think.

Added an additional speed (Speed 9).
This can be set in terminal with $S9 and $L9. Default is speed9 5500 and limit9 29.

Added feature where three clicks will go to jump speed.
This can be set in terminal with $J to control new jump speed setting. The default is 6. This gives you the option to quickly jump to a specific speed instead of shifting several times. This works when off and while running.

Added feature where four clicks enables cruise control.
Clicking once (holding or releasing) will cancel cruise. Any additional clicks are processed after disabling cruise control. For example: with cruise on, clicking twice and holding the second one results in cruise turning off and shifting down.

Increased ERPM speed limit to 6000.
Increased Limit to 30 amp from 23 amp.
Increase Motor current max to 49 amp from 40 amp.
Changed defaults (Use Safety 0, Disp Rot 0).

yeah, sounds good. looking forward to play around with it once I get the scooter.
Why not create a github for easier collaboration?

Thanks. I have a github for it already. Just wanting to polish it a bit before I make it public and release it.

sure. Curious, just took a quick look at the firmware, did you RE it or how did you get hold of the source?

The esc used is VESC based. The firmware for VESC is licensed GPL so dive xtras and anyone else that releases firmware based on VESC code has to release the source code along with the binary.

ah, I missed that..found the source :)

Cruise sounds worthwhile... piraña and blacktip handles give me cramps on longer runs..

_R

Cruise sounds worthwhile... piraña and blacktip handles give me cramps on longer runs..

_R
Yeah. Long runs can tire you out. I know some people have made some parts to add a physical cruise control, but I am trying to leave the body stock. This led me to do it in software. I am also working on building a new battery, but I have the same criteria of leaving the scooter as it is physically. So I will use dewalt connectors and have it slide in without modifying anything. Then anyone could make the battery and slide it right in also.

Yeah. Long runs can tire you out. I know some people have made some parts to add a physical cruise control, but I am trying to leave the body stock. This led me to do it in software. I am also working on building a new battery, but I have the same criteria of leaving the scooter as it is physically. So I will use dewalt connectors and have it slide in without modifying anything. Then anyone could make the battery and slide it right in also.
Regarding cruise, my buddies just use bungy.. and I already have built some DIY dewalts waiting for the scooter and my buddies tested it successfully :)
I do like the cruise option in SW though

Looking at the display code it would be fun to add a startup message, ie name or just a Hello

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom