Blacktip firmware modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had problems with Safe Start not working beyond about 40m/130ft. Contacted Dive Xtras and was told there's a new software release 1.18 which addresses this.

Installed the update and reset the screen rotation as usual and left Safe Start on. Annoyingly had to wait for a while to test the scooter.

It was only a 45m/150ft dive but I'm pleased to say that the Blacktip scooter worked perfectly. No issues whatsoever with it starting up at that depth anyway. Prior to the 1.18 update it would sometimes play around when starting up; at 70m/230ft it simply wouldn't move out of Safe Start.

I think this now clears the starting problem. Have some deeper dives in three weeks and am hoping there's no more of that starting issue.

Am very happy.

I THINK:

Prior to firmware v1.18, Safe Start worked by attempting to start the prop turning (slowly) and detect if it was being impeded in any way. If so, then it would stop the motor. If not, after 2 or 3 seconds of turning very slowly, it would go on to whatever start speed it was set for.

They changed the firmware in v1.18 so that it no longer attempts to do anything clever at all when you start the scooter. Now, it just waits 3 seconds (or something like that) and then goes directly to whatever start speed it's set to use.

In other words, with 1.18, Safe Start always works now - but because it's not doing anything except an arbitrary time delay. With 1.18, I cannot see ANY reason to leave Safe Start turned on.

At least Safe Start means it's slow at first, so when out of the water it's not running at full speed like it is when Safe Start's off.

The old version 1.15 was, in my experience, somewhat unreliable and quite irksome.

With them removing the firmware support from their website, does anyone know where to download the latest version or have the cheat sheet to adjust the parameters? I can't find the stuff I had downloaded before.

With them removing the firmware support from their website, does anyone know where to download the latest version or have the cheat sheet to adjust the parameters? I can't find the stuff I had downloaded before.
Ping Dive Xtras for the download location.

At least Safe Start means it's slow at first, so when out of the water it's not running at full speed like it is when Safe Start's off.

The old version 1.15 was, in my experience, somewhat unreliable and quite irksome.

Do you think it hurts anything if you start it out of the water, without Safe Start, and let it run for 2 seconds?

I find it REALLY annoying in the water to hit the trigger and have a 3 second pause before it actually starts going.

Do you think it hurts anything if you start it out of the water, without Safe Start, and let it run for 2 seconds?

I find it REALLY annoying in the water to hit the trigger and have a 3 second pause before it actually starts going.
Do agree, it's a bit annoying.

But -- for now at least -- I'll stick with the pause as it kind of gives a chance to indicate if something's caught in the prop. Will probably get tired with safe start and may well turn it off later.

Just pleased to have a working Blacktip.

Do agree, it's a bit annoying.

But -- for now at least -- I'll stick with the pause as it kind of gives a chance to indicate if something's caught in the prop. Will probably get tired with safe start and may well turn it off later.

Just pleased to have a working Blacktip.

I might have stuck with Safe Start as well. At least, for longer than I did. But, after I upgraded to 1.18, it seemed to be fine so I took it to the lake. On land, it would start, run slowly for 3 seconds, and then go to full speed, no problem. In the water, it would not start up and run. The prop would start moving slowly and shuddering. It would never exit Safe Start mode and run at speed.

I got out of the water, dried it off, opened it up, connected my laptop, turned off Safe Start, reassembled it, and got back in. It has worked fine since, so I've left Safe Start off.

Sunday's dive to 45m/150ft was great as possibly for the first time the Blacktip worked properly without any hesitations or pauses. It's a bit like toothache that when it's gone you notice how much it was there!

I just need to disassemble the handle and ream out the hole that the trigger 'stick' goes in as it's catching and doesn't stop immediately unless I push the switch back.

Sunday's dive to 45m/150ft was great as possibly for the first time the Blacktip worked properly without any hesitations or pauses. It's a bit like toothache that when it's gone you notice how much it was there!

I just need to disassemble the handle and ream out the hole that the trigger 'stick' goes in as it's catching and doesn't stop immediately unless I push the switch back.
Try loosining the screw holding it 1/2 or full turn

Try loosining the screw holding it 1/2 or full turn
FYI I caught the handle jumping off a boat last year. Gravity won and Neptune grabbed the handle to adorn his locker.

The replacement's a little tighter and I needed to ream the "hole" using a 6mm drill bit. Think something's moved so need to get a round toit. I'll check if the screw has any effect.

Back
Top Bottom