Blacktip firmware modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for putting the work into this. I finally loaded this firmware on my scooter. I have some longer trigger time this weekend so I am very much looking forward to cruise control.

IMG_20211007_155245882.jpg

Edit: double post. On my phone and don't know how to delete
Thanks for putting the work into this. I finally loaded this firmware on my scooter. I have some longer trigger time this weekend so I am very much looking forward to cruise control.

I got 6 dives in this weekend ranging from 90-125 minutes and 210ft. Cruise control and jump speed are great. I didnt try any of the other features.

I did run into one issue that I've never had happen before. I'm not sure if it's related to firmware or just a random hardware glitch. At end of one of my dives I could not get trigger to engage. The motor was making a strange whining sound (almost like bearings) and no speeds would engage.) I wish I had video'd but unfortunately forgot. It was almost like it was sending wrong pulse or modulation to motor but that's purely a guess. I have safe start turned off.

It happened at ~170ft on ascent about 70 minutes into the dive. Plenty of battery life. I kept manually trying to spin prop to see if that would fix it but to no avail. Nothing wrapped around prop or anything. I thought the scooter was dead but pulling the batteries on surface reset whatever the issue was.

I did 4 more dives this weekend at similar depths and run times and didn't experience the issue again.

I got 6 dives in this weekend ranging from 90-125 minutes and 210ft. Cruise control and jump speed are great. I didnt try any of the other features.

I did run into one issue that I've never had happen before. I'm not sure if it's related to firmware or just a random hardware glitch. At end of one of my dives I could not get trigger to engage. The motor was making a strange whining sound (almost like bearings) and no speeds would engage.) I wish I had video'd but unfortunately forgot. It was almost like it was sending wrong pulse or modulation to motor but that's purely a guess. I have safe start turned off.

It happened at ~170ft on ascent about 70 minutes into the dive. Plenty of battery life. I kept manually trying to spin prop to see if that would fix it but to no avail. Nothing wrapped around prop or anything. I thought the scooter was dead but pulling the batteries on surface reset whatever the issue was.

I did 4 more dives this weekend at similar depths and run times and didn't experience the issue again.
I'm still running V1.15 and I have the same thing happen sometimes. It is usually somewhere in the middle of a dive. After being off the trigger and getting back on, it makes that loud spun-bearing noise with no movement of the prop. All it takes is for me to release the trigger and try again. It doesn't happen afterwards and it happens maybe once every 3-4 dives. Very strange......

Its a big issue on some of them.

I'm still running V1.15 and I have the same thing happen sometimes. It is usually somewhere in the middle of a dive. After being off the trigger and getting back on, it makes that loud spun-bearing noise with no movement of the prop. All it takes is for me to release the trigger and try again. It doesn't happen afterwards and it happens maybe once every 3-4 dives. Very strange......
Seems like you're describing a similar issue but unfortunately the only thing that fixed it was pulling the batteries for me. Anyway I guess it's not a firmware bug but something with the motor.

I've never had this issue before so it was strange. This particular scooter still had 1.15 on it before upgrading to the third party firmware. I probably have about ~50-60 hours of trigger time on this particular blacktip. I would really hate this for to happen in a cave or somewhere offshore where I really need the scooter.

I wonder how hard it would be to add a feature in the firmware where a trigger sequence does a reset/reboot on the electronics/esc? We're getting into a lot of trigger clicks at that point I realize. :)

I'll take a look at the video and see if I can tweak the motor settings.

The firmware is based on 1.18. Some people find doing the motor tuning helps, in my experience (mine and everyone I have flashed) it makes the motor perform worse.
One thing that can cause the scooter to lock up or behave weird is battery issues. Battery imbalance or just low. Some people getting the knock off batteries will have the imbalance issue because one pack discharges differently. You end up with one dead pack and one good pack and it isn't enough to power it correctly.

When I first installed 1.18 (OEM), I went through the motor tuning process and my scooter wouldn't start at all. Support told me to reflash 1.18 and not do the tuning. I did, and then it worked. Mostly. I took it to the lake to test and it would start and run out of the water, but not in the water. I got out, dried it off, hooked it to my laptop, turned off Safe Start, and tried again. With Safe Start off, it has run fine ever since.

Back
Top Bottom