using Blacktip firmware in Sierra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I have it working now, it just needs some tweaking to make sure that I got all of the settings optimized and I'm not overheating the motor at the max RPM I set. Make sure and set the battery ratio ($x) to 0 in the firmware since you're presumably not running with balance wire. I'll take some screen grabs of everything I did later this week when I have a chance. I'm still not sure where to set the max RPM, but per Magmotor the maximum amperage for the motor should be around 25 amps, so that's what I'm using on my high speed cutoff.

For others using the VESC tool, if you get faults like this, take your scooter back to the computer, open it up and connect to the computer before you disconnect from the power. You can then use the Terminal Faults tab to see what happened. This was really helpful for me when I somehow set the max battery amperage to 30 and it was cutting out every time the amp spiked a little....
Thank you for the update on your progress! It's great to hear that things are coming together with just a bit more tweaking needed. Τhe battery ratio ($x) is set to 0 in the firmware since, as you mentioned, I'm not using the balance wire.

I’m looking forward to seeing the screen grabs you’ll share later this week, as they will be really helpful. Regarding the max RPM setting, I'll follow your lead and keep an eye on the maximum amperage, making sure not to exceed the 25 amps as recommended by Magmotor for the high-speed cutoff.

For anyone else using the VESC tool, your tip about using the Terminal Faults tab is invaluable. I had a similar issue where the scooter would cut out every time the amperage spiked because the max battery amperage was set incorrectly. Connecting it to the computer before disconnecting from power allowed me to see what went wrong and fix it efficiently.

By the way, have you managed to make any further progress with the Sierra? Any additional guidance or tips you could share would be much appreciated as I’m trying to restore mine as well.

Thanks again for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom