Blacktip firmware modifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Step one of owning a BT is turning the safe start off, lol.

Tuning has to be done with similar temps to what your going to dive in. Mine worked best when I left it outside in the cold overnight.

Mine is working fine with no tuning, so I'm going to leave it alone. :)

Other than loading the f/w from Benjamin at some point. I'd like to have some of the features.

I flashed version 1.18 (did the motor calibration) and dove with it for about 30 minutes this weekend. No issues were experienced so fingers crossed that the demons have been exercised. Safe Start was off.

Does anyone know if there's a way to save the motor calibration settings once you get them set? When I flash firmware updates, I do "$$" to see the current settings, so I can reset anything different from the stock firmware (like screen rotation safe start setting, etc). Or do you have to go through the motor calibration every time the firmware is updated?

The firmware is based on 1.18. Some people find doing the motor tuning helps, in my experience (mine and everyone I have flashed) it makes the motor perform worse.
One thing that can cause the scooter to lock up or behave weird is battery issues. Battery imbalance or just low. Some people getting the knock off batteries will have the imbalance issue because one pack discharges differently. You end up with one dead pack and one good pack and it isn't enough to power it correctly.

Thanks for that tip. I'm reluctant to tune my motor given what you said about performance since I've only experienced this problem exactly once.

I have DeWalt batteries and have never had battery issues with this scooter or my other Blacktip although I did end up cleaning the battery terminals with Deoxit and checked the Anderson connectors. They weren't really bad but I do notice that I occasionally get some build up on the DeWalt battery terminals. Anyone else notice that too?

I've doing a couple more longer range scooter dives this weekend so hopefully everything works fine.

For other people with the motor humming / stalling issue - Does your scooter completely stop working or are you able to re-engage the motor after letting off the trigger?

I'm going to finally install the v2.2 f/w before my next scooter dive.

Question: If you triple-click to go to Jump Speed, what happens after that?

I.e. if I triple-click again, does it go back to my previous speed? If not, then I assume triple-clicking again means it just stays at the Jump speed?

Assume Jump Speed gear is 6.

What if I'm already at 6 (by double-clicking my way up to that gear) and I triple-click?

jump speed is just a shortcut to 6th gear (or whatever gear you set in vesc tool..you can easily customise this).
scooter will behave just like normal after. if you tripple-click again, all it does is tell the scooter to go to 6th gear. if already there, nothing will happen.
cruise control is great btw, 4 clicks :)

For other people with the motor humming / stalling issue - Does your scooter completely stop working or are you able to re-engage the motor after letting off the trigger?
I, and several other people who I dive with who have Blacktips, have had this happen too. Just try again and the scooter starts up again. Haven't had it disabled to the point of needing to pull batteries to reset it.

Just a thought re cruise-control, potentially a safety issue? Would it make sense to have a timer count down cruise, so that you have to tap the button once every minute or two to keep it on?

I, and several other people who I dive with who have Blacktips, have had this happen too. Just try again and the scooter starts up again. Haven't had it disabled to the point of needing to pull batteries to reset it.

Just a thought re cruise-control, potentially a safety issue? Would it make sense to have a timer count down cruise, so that you have to tap the button once every minute or two to keep it on?
I have noticed that cruise turns off when doing a barrel roll.. probably trigger somehow gets pushed or so.. tried this repeatedly 4 or 5 times.. as soon as handle is upside down it disengages.
Sure, cruise is a safety issue, but then, so is diving

Had problems with Safe Start not working beyond about 40m/130ft. Contacted Dive Xtras and was told there's a new software release 1.18 which addresses this.

Installed the update and reset the screen rotation as usual and left Safe Start on. Annoyingly had to wait for a while to test the scooter.

It was only a 45m/150ft dive but I'm pleased to say that the Blacktip scooter worked perfectly. No issues whatsoever with it starting up at that depth anyway. Prior to the 1.18 update it would sometimes play around when starting up; at 70m/230ft it simply wouldn't move out of Safe Start.

I think this now clears the starting problem. Have some deeper dives in three weeks and am hoping there's no more of that starting issue.

Am very happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom