Info Aqualung Financial Troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That news story does not say that AL is shutting down all production. You are spreading FUD.

AL has announced that it will be shutting down a plant in Italy and moving that production to one of its facilities in England in order to streamline manufacturing and distribution. But that's not the same thing as "Barings has stopped all production and let everyone go. Barings has sold all remaining inventory. Now there is no one (or place) left to make anything."

Thanks - I read that as much more of an aggressive reorganization rather than a shutdown.

I expect the North American AL organization to pretty much be a marketing and distribution organization. I think most of their stuff is European made (open to correction ,please).

If so, it would make sense to pull out of high-rent states like California and Hawaii and relocate a more streamlined sales staff (likely the off-site staff) and distribution hub in more affordable locales, which is what I read there.

Barings has stopped all production and let everyone go. Barings has sold all remaining inventory. Now there is no one (or place) left to make anything. If no buyer steps up, where will you buy anything for repairs?

I think you are making an overly broad generalization and stating things as fact that are simply not true. I fully expected changes to be made in efforts to make Aqualung financially viable once again. None of this reorganization surprises me. Actually, if they were not making operational changes to drive efficiency and improve their finances, THAT would worry me.

Hi @Stingrayvilla

This was last December, nearly 6 months ago. Do you have follow up? Where was the East Coast Aqualung headquarters located? The website still lists the US headquarters as in Carlsbad, CA.

I find little to no information available since the acquisition by Barings was completed, nothing like what you stated above

They might not bother to restart a physical office/warehouse in the US. Just drop ship from the EU to dealers and have sales/support work remote/WFH.

They might not bother to restart a physical office/warehouse in the US. Just drop ship from the EU to dealers and have sales/support work remote/WFH.
The reorganization article mentioned decreasing from 83 to 23 employees, 16 remote and 7 at the new facility.

the article also said they planned an east coast distribution office, which presumably would be where the website would be updated to from the old carlsbad address. but that hasn't happened, so they may have dropped those plans.

the article also said they planned an east coast distribution office, which presumably would be where the website would be updated to from the old carlsbad address. but that hasn't happened, so they may have dropped those plans.
... or laid off the IT 'guy'.

Guessing it'll be a Delaware "hq" for tax reasons... and probably an office in Tysons/Fairfax area to be close to the Gov't/Defense folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom