Anyone with the Deepblu cosmiq? Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the progressive setting on the Cosmiq right now is something like 30/70 which is way too conservative for most people. I don't really care personally, but I'm still fighting with them to change it to more reasonable numbers like the presets that Shearwater uses.

the 6-7 hours they quote is dive time where it is using a lot more power from the sensors. It is more than enough for a couple days of diving, though if on a liveaboard I would probably charge it every night if it's convenient

Thought I would set the center(0) or maybe -1 at 30/85.. hadn't decided on the other values yet, probably something like 30/70 for +1? But thats a quick decision, and easily changeable, will probably have to dive it some various presets and then see once the final version is ready for testing. Have suggestions?

Thought I would set the center(0) or maybe -1 at 30/85.. hadn't decided on the other values yet, probably something like 30/70 for +1? But thats a quick decision, and easily changeable, will probably have to dive it some various presets and then see once the final version is ready for testing. Have suggestions?

I'd follow Shearwater's Rec Nitrox settings personally.
35/75
40/85
45/95

The 45/95 apparently is close to the NOAA and PADI tables, 40/85 as default, and 35/75 if you want to dive conservatively. While I don't personally dive any of those gradient factors, having the liberal setting as what Shearwater correlated to the PADI tables is ideal, and the other two setting correlating to the Shearwater settings may allow some easier diving experiences since it's a very prolific computer and what many of these divers may be "stepping up" to at some point

I'd follow Shearwater's Rec Nitrox settings personally.
35/75
40/85
45/95

The 45/95 apparently is close to the NOAA and PADI tables, 40/85 as default, and 35/75 if you want to dive conservatively. While I don't personally dive any of those gradient factors, having the liberal setting as what Shearwater correlated to the PADI tables is ideal, and the other two setting correlating to the Shearwater settings may allow some easier diving experiences since it's a very prolific computer and what many of these divers may be "stepping up" to at some point

I agree entirely with @tbone1004. 45/95 is a pretty good match for DSAT recreational diving. Adding the GF presets makes a huge difference over having the RGBM alone. At your price point, you should be very successful, hopefully, sooner than later

I like a lot of what the Cosmiq+ does, but there have been a number of comments scattered through various reviews that make it sound extremely conservative, even on its progressive setting. I haven't yet seen anyone post the NDLs from its Dive Plan mode. Has anyone seen those times posted for comparison?

I haven't yet seen anyone post the NDLs from its Dive Plan mode. Has anyone seen those times posted for comparison?

@tbone1004 might be able to help... I am not in the country at the moment so my Cosmiq is at home.

I like a lot of what the Cosmiq+ does, but there have been a number of comments scattered through various reviews that make it sound extremely conservative, even on its progressive setting. I haven't yet seen anyone post the NDLs from its Dive Plan mode. Has anyone seen those times posted for comparison?

I have a chart that I can't disclose, but the progressive setting on the Deepblue is somewhere around the conservative setting with the Shearwater Nitrox Mode. They did a lot of stuff to that algorithm other than set of a GF, so there is some fuzzy math in there which makes it more conservative in some cases, but similar in others. I got them to remove the lockouts which is good, but it's not quite there yet.

I have a chart that I can't disclose, but the progressive setting on the Deepblue is somewhere around the conservative setting with the Shearwater Nitrox Mode. They did a lot of stuff to that algorithm other than set of a GF, so there is some fuzzy math in there which makes it more conservative in some cases, but similar in others. I got them to remove the lockouts which is good, but it's not quite there yet.

Thanks! Is it considered bad form to transcribe what the computer says in Dive Plan mode for NDLs for plain air dives?

Thanks! Is it considered bad form to transcribe what the computer says in Dive Plan mode for NDLs for plain air dives?

it's bad form to give you the excel sheet that I have from their engineers comparing it to a lot of other computers. I didn't generate the numbers otherwise I would have given it to you. I literally have no idea how to use dive plan mode on any of my computers and frankly don't care to learn. With recreational diving I blindly ride the computer and if it fails, I either have a backup, will ride my buddies computer, or will run min/ratio deco. I say that and it sounds bad, but I do have a somewhat general idea of what my deco obligations should be like, but I haven't paid attention to NDL's in 7 years. The only thing I care about is that the computer won't lock me out if I choose to blow decompression for whatever reason. If I'm doing dives that have planned deco, then I know a general idea of what my plan will look like before I get in, but do that with software, never on the computers. It's too much of a PITA for me so couldn't be bothered. I know others have different opinions on that and it's a valuable tool if you are bound by NDL's.

Once you get decompression certified, you pretty much stop caring about NDL's. The discussion goes from "crap, now I have to start my ascent because I have 1 min NDL remaining and I can't finish taking this picture", to "oh well, I now have 3 minutes of backgas deco. Guess I should probably not blow my safety stop, but man I am glad I got that shot". That is why I am so outspoken about any serious diver taking at least the DP portion of AN/DP where you can do 10-15 minutes of backgas decompression. It changes so much in your diving mentality whether you are planning decompression dives or not.

Frankly, you couldn't pay me to dive Shearwaters progressive algorithm, and realistically I think their medium algorithm is probably a little aggressive for me *I dive 50/80* but the middle is where I would set it for most conditions. For me, the difference is whether a safety stop is mandatory or optional. Every day of the week I will go for the mandatory safety stop if it means diving a lower GF-Hi and because I don't have to worry about NDL's, I can dive a long as I want, or as long as my buddies do, but it gives me a lot more warm fuzzies to know I'm coming out with a theoretical 80% tissue saturation as opposed to a theoretical 90% or 95% theoretical saturation. Not to say those aren't safe, but call me risk adverse....

So for those of us who (for whatever reason) would like to stick with NDLs, it kinda sounds like your feeling from the Comiq+'s progressive NDLs is that they aren't crazy conservative. I believe what you're saying is that Cosmiq+'s progressive are notionally similar to the Shearwater conservative, which, if you had to pick one, would be the one you'd ride (the medium being a little on the aggressive side). Is that an accurate summary?

Of course, it'd also be great if someone would be willing to take the time to post up the Cosmiq+'s progressive NDLs from Dive Plan mode...I'm noobish enough that I think that would be meaningful to me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom