No idea on how to decide on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Peregrine would be my first choice.

Another good alternative would be Garmin G1.

Both with Bühlmann with gradient factors.
G1 supports trimix too (so, in future it might be used as backup computer if you decide to go tech).

I believe at least the Oceanic, on her list, offers better than RGBM.

I’ve never looked at or tried to compare computers based on their algorithm…what’s the difference we’re talking about?

Let’s say we dive the following plan - drop straight to the bow of a wreck at 90 ft, meander to 110 ft by the stern, and then stay until NDL and make our way to the surface.

Assuming all other variables are equal, it’s the first dive of the day, and no residual from the prior day, how much more time does bulhmann offer over RGBM or the standard dive table number of 20 minutes?

Assuming all other variables are equal, it’s the first dive of the day, and no residual from the prior day, how much more time does bulhmann offer over RGBM or the standard dive table number of 20 minutes?

The issue becomes much more apparent for repetitive diving and ESPECIALLY for multi-dive/multi-day profiles. Suunto dive computers are notorious for locking you out for 48 hours if you violate some of their "rules".

I believe at least the Oceanic, on her list, offers better than RGBM.
Yes, it does. It has a dual algorithm of DSAT and PZ+, both of which are less conservative than RGBM. The DSAT is the most liberal of the 2, but it gives the diver the choice. The problem with RGBM, especially the Suunto variety, is the way it calculates NDL over the course of multi-day, multi-dive trips.
Have you ever used Oceanic dc and which algorithm would you recommend?
I currently use an Oceanic OCi air integrated DC. Love it. And, yes, I have used and still own some Suuntos. The last Suunto I dove with regularly was a Vyper Novo. Nice computer with a large face, easy to read. I never had any problems with it limiting me to much shorter dive times than divers using more liberal computers, but then I mostly did trips that consisted of 2 dives/day for 5 days. With the SI that we had on those types of trips it didn't have a large penalty figured in, although it came close towards the end of the week. But I have had 2 Suuntos to crap out on me, a Gekko I got used with some equipment I bought that apparently the depth sensor flamed out, and a Vyper Air I bought new to replace the Gekko which then went wonky after 1 year. It was replaced under warranty with the Vyper Novo.

I switched to the Oceanic a couple of years ago and I can see a difference. On our trip to AKR 2 years ago, doing 3 dives a day plus a couple of night dives, I had no trouble with the DC putting me into deco. And that was diving air all week with depths exceeding 100 fsw on a few dives. Dive times ranged from 45 to over 60 minutes.

To meet the OP's criteria, I would recommend looking at the Geo 4. It has all the features he/she is looking for, is a wrist style DC, and comes in at under their price limit at 439.95.

The issue becomes much more apparent for repetitive diving and ESPECIALLY for multi-dive/multi-day profiles. Suunto dive computers are notorious for locking you out for 48 hours if you violate some of their "rules".
I almost forgot about this experience.

While I was still using the Vyper Novo I mentioned in my previous post, my wife and I were diving the Hyde, a nice shipwreck off the NC coast. It sits in 80 fsw and on the second dive, it did put me into light deco after about 35-40 minutes. I had a 7 minute obligation so we went up the anchor line to the 45 foot ceiling it was showing me to hang out until I cleared the obligation. I've never been locked out with a Suunto, but I can see how it would if you don't do what it tells you to do.

And this was on just the 2nd dive of a one day dive trip.

I almost forgot about this experience.

While I was still using the Vyper Novo I mentioned in my previous post, my wife and I were diving the Hyde, a nice shipwreck off the NC coast. It sits in 80 fsw and on the second dive, it did put me into light deco after about 35-40 minutes. I had a 7 minute obligation so we went up the anchor line to the 45 foot ceiling it was showing me to hang out until I cleared the obligation. I've never been locked out with a Suunto, but I can see how it would if you don't do what it tells you to do.

And this was on just the 2nd dive of a one day dive trip.

It will also lock you out if you come up too fast when you break the surface IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom