No idea on how to decide on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP is a new diver. Put this on the least conservative setting and it will be perfectly fine for the next couple hundred dives.

But if you really want to avoid RGBM, then a Oceanic Veo 2.0 on a wrist mount is another excellent low cost option if you can find one.

veo 2.0
Yep then she will be in the situation I'm in right now, having to replace it. Why not get a good one from the git. And avoid buying twice?????

Never said they don't work...just said they cut your dive time much shorter than need be. I know, I have a cressi Leonardo I am replacing right now for the same exact reason. When I was a vacation diver/learning it was fine. But now......no longer!

I’m a shallow to mid depth (20-60ish feet) reef diver who dives no more than 3 tanks a day. Often just two. NDL is rarely an issue no matter what computer I have or what algorithm it uses.

Yep then she will be in the situation I'm in right now, having to replace it. Why not get a good one from the git. And avoid buying twice?????
Because until you've been diving for a while you don't know what you are eventually going to want from a computer so buying an expensive computer now is a crapshoot. There's a reason there are already Peregrines for sale used, along with Perdixes and Descents and other expensive DCs.

For example if you eventually want AI or to get into tech or CCR then a Peregrine or a Garmin or even a Teric could be a costly mistake.

Nitrox capable and legible are all that a new diver needs. If the budget is limited, then other features can wait until additional needs/desires are better defined. Especially since DC technology regularly advances. Who knows what the options will be if and when the OP outgrows the Puck Pro or Veo 2.0?

I recently purchased a Ratio iX3M2, as I thought the display and compass would eliminate some task loading during solo night dives. I took it to Cozumel and dove with it and my Puck Pro+. I was glad to have the Puck, and have since returned the Ratio and personally I would not recommend it to anyone -- that is all that I will say publicly. Though I am a cheapskate, I will probably pony up to get a Shearwater soon.
Please post in the ratio thread about your issues. I'm sure people will want actual feedback.

I’m a shallow to mid depth (20-60ish feet) reef diver who dives no more than 3 tanks a day. Often just two. NDL is rarely an issue no matter what computer I have or what algorithm it uses.
Ok then I would say you are a rarity that doesn't dive below 15m and it doesn't matter to you. I think this does not apply to 99 % of divers out there.

Because until you've been diving for a while you don't know what you are eventually going to want from a computer so buying an expensive computer now is a crapshoot. There's a reason there are already Peregrines for sale used, along with Perdixes and Descents and other expensive DCs.

For example if you eventually want AI or to get into tech or CCR then a Peregrine or a Garmin or even a Teric could be a costly mistake.

Nitrox capable and legible are all that a new diver needs. If the budget is limited, then other features can wait until additional needs/desires are better defined. Especially since DC technology regularly advances. Who knows what the options will be if and when the OP outgrows the Puck Pro or Veo 2.0?
I did advocate them buying an expensive computer, I steered them towards buying one with a better algorithm, some of which are on her possible list. Thier budget is clearly stated so I don't know where your coming from on this. If those two you listed have the RGBM, I think it's bad advice.....

I did advocate them buying an expensive computer, I steered them towards buying one with a better algorithm, some of which are on her possible list. Thier budget is clearly stated so I don't know where your coming from on this. If those two you listed have the RGBM, I think it's bad advice.....
I did NOT advocate....

I did NOT advocate....
You can edit your posts. Click the "..." next to the report button (on a phone anyway).

The Veo 2.0 offers either DSAT or a tweaked Buhlmann ZHL-16C.

What do you recommend that meets the OP's parameters?

You can edit your posts. Click the "..." next to the report button (on a phone anyway).

The Veo 2.0 offers either DSAT or a tweaked Buhlmann ZHL-16C.

What do you recommend that meets the OP's parameters?
I believe at least the Oceanic, on her list, offers better than RGBM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom