No idea on how to decide on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have someone in the US that you can ship it to, you can get a Puck Pro for $215.

Negative-RGBM algorithm sux.

For the last decade I have dove recreationally with a puck pro. It has met all of my needs and has never failed me.

I recently moved to a Suunto eon core only so I can monitor my dive partners air, otherwise I’d still be diving the puck.

Depends on the diving you’re doing - I’ve never had a problem with my Puck and it’s calculation of NDL or surface intervals.

Time to stop living in the past and have you even owned one or are just jumping on the dog pile of people who have never owned a Suunto in their life but still feel the need to trash them. The beloved Shearwater computers had a bunch of issues with every one of their models when they first came out.
Also, what were the bunch of issues?
I have had the GF, Predator, Petrel 1 and 2, Pedix 1 and 2, and the peregrine?
I have broken them and flooded them, but I don't remember ever having any issues outside of one bad software update.
The Teric I have heard had lots of battery issues, I have no personal experience with one.

In my opinion as a rusty diver not familiar with the current brands and models

1) I think you are on the right track for wrist mount. Personal opinion but I was so much happier since I switched to that arrangement.
2) since you are on a budget I'd buy the cheapest one that has a huge number of good reviews...basically something that has been around a while and has proven itself not to be a problem child.... such as common seal failures/flooding or something like that. None of the added bells and whistles are going to likely matter much....just nice to have not need to have stuff.
3) and I'd put a minor bit of weight on which has a button menu interface that makes sense for you...but that's low on the list because you can figure any of them out in short order.....

They're ALL going to tell you what you need to know.... depth, time, ascent rate, and deco status. This is based on the assumption that you're just doing recreational diving. No need to spend extra money unless you can

...and is especially true if you're primarily or only diving relatively shallow/easy dives on charter boat operations in tourist oriented places such as FL.
Thier from Japan, not likely!

For the last decade I have dove recreationally with a puck pro. It has met all of my needs and has never failed me.

I recently moved to a Suunto eon core only so I can monitor my dive partners air, otherwise I’d still be diving the puck.

Depends on the diving you’re doing - I’ve never had a problem with my Puck and it’s calculation of NDL or surface intervals.
See the numerous posts about dm's loving suuntos, cause they allow them to cut the dive short and get to the bar quicker-no thanks!

See the numerous posts about dm's loving suuntos, cause they allow them to cut the dive short and get to the bar quicker-no thanks!

So far mine has worked - if that changes I’ll address the issue as necessary.

Edit - I keep a puck AI with me in the regulator bag, so if the Suunto goes tits up I have a backup computer. I can use tables to watch my NDL limit for a day.

My son and I have been diving Mares Puck Pro+ wrist computers for the last 4+ years, and they have served us well. We set it to the least conservative settings, and are often the last ones up on recreational dives -- even then pretty much always because gas/air is getting low, and I don't feel that we've been NDL-limited since changing the settings.

The Puck Pro+ is wonderful in its simplicity, even though the single-button can be a little annoying when setting nitrox %. Still a great computer for the price. Sometimes one can find the Mares Smart Pro (non-AI) for around the same price or less -- it has more buttons, looks more watch-like, but I believe has a little smaller display (might not be as good for older eyes).

I recently purchased a Ratio iX3M2, as I thought the display and compass would eliminate some task loading during solo night dives. I took it to Cozumel and dove with it and my Puck Pro+. I was glad to have the Puck, and have since returned the Ratio and personally I would not recommend it to anyone -- that is all that I will say publicly. Though I am a cheapskate, I will probably pony up to get a Shearwater soon.

Another computer that just might slide into OP's budget (especially with a Divers Supply 10% discount) is the Atmos Mission 2. EDIT: sorry, now notice OP is in Japan, so not sure of the Atmos prices there.

So far mine has worked - if that changes I’ll address the issue as necessary.

Edit - I keep a puck AI with me in the regulator bag, so if the Suunto goes tits up I have a backup computer. I can use tables to watch my NDL limit for a day.
Never said they don't work...just said they cut your dive time much shorter than need be. I know, I have a cressi Leonardo I am replacing right now for the same exact reason. When I was a vacation diver/learning it was fine. But now......no longer!

OP is a new diver. Put this on the least conservative setting and it will be perfectly fine for the next couple hundred dives.

But if you really want to avoid RGBM, then a Oceanic Veo 2.0 on a wrist mount is another excellent low cost option if you can find one.

veo 2.0

I do not use RGBM computer myself.
But most dive guides I came across over last 10 yrs in SE Asia were using basic Sunnto!
I was diving recently in Koh Lanta in Thailand and all the guides were using Sunnto. And I did not notice my guide deliberately cut short on dive time.
On the other hand I am not impressed with DSAT either, it is far far too liberal.

Anyway, DC does not get bent but diver does. Read the manual thoroughly and hopefully understood its limitation. It is your life afterall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom