No idea on how to decide on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off, I'm not going to buy once cry once this one. I'll upgrade later if the need arises, but I'm not even considering a $500-1000+ expense right now. My budget is squarely $450 and below, no upward flex. $350 or below is better, but I'm more concerned with functionality than price. I can do PADI tables pretty quick by hand for planning purposes, but I'm looking for a more precise depth gauge with a surface interval timer. Backlighting is also a non-negotiable must have.

So far these are the ones that meet my initial "must have/must do"
Wrist:
-Suunto Zoop Novo
-Seac Screen Console
-Deep Blue Cosmiq+
-Mares Quad
-Genesis Centauri
-Deep6 Excursion

Console:
-Oceanic Veo 2.0 NavCon
-Seac Screen Console
-Cressi Digi2

I'm leaning towards a wrist worn one, and getting rid of my 3 gauge console in favor of just a pressure gauge. My hang up is that I got burned on training watches in the past, namely a triathalon watch that Timex put on killer clearance and then just up and discontinued support for completely... app and all. The Cosmiq+ has a pretty solid display but I'm wary of it falling into that trap. The Mares as well.

I like the flick-of-the-wrist idea of the Genesis, but the screen seems kinda small in he pictures (I might have the scale of this thing WAY off in my head), so I'm looking at the Seac and Sunnto pretty hard.

It'smy first dive computer, I want to end up with one that does the basics well, not one that's ****** and unsupported next season. Any thoughts on these, or suggestions to another one are more than welcome

Aqualung i200 is another good option at the $300 mark.

Check to see if the computers you’re considering have a backlight that stays on or if you have to press a button for it. Also, how are your eyes? A color display might be something to consider if you have vision issues. Much easier to see.

Hi @MacDuyver

I would go with the Deep 6 Excursion. Buhlmann ZH-L16C decompression algorithm with presets and custom GFs, and other features like SurfGF. At the lower end of your price range.

The computers you list vary greatly in the conservative to liberal spectrum of their decompression algorithms. You might want to understand that before making your decision.

Note: the Excursion is the same size as the Genesis Centauri and Crest CR-4

Sorry, missed you are in Japan, might not work for Deep 6, you want to make sure you can easily get service if needed.

You are in Japan, right? Not sure if Deep 6 is available there. It's a PITA in Europe to get Deep 6 stuff (or service, or parts, I imagine).

In my opinion as a rusty diver not familiar with the current brands and models

1) I think you are on the right track for wrist mount. Personal opinion but I was so much happier since I switched to that arrangement.
2) since you are on a budget I'd buy the cheapest one that has a huge number of good reviews...basically something that has been around a while and has proven itself not to be a problem child.... such as common seal failures/flooding or something like that. None of the added bells and whistles are going to likely matter much....just nice to have not need to have stuff.
3) and I'd put a minor bit of weight on which has a button menu interface that makes sense for you...but that's low on the list because you can figure any of them out in short order.....

They're ALL going to tell you what you need to know.... depth, time, ascent rate, and deco status. This is based on the assumption that you're just doing recreational diving. No need to spend extra money unless you can

...and is especially true if you're primarily or only diving relatively shallow/easy dives on charter boat operations in tourist oriented places such as FL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom