No idea on how to decide on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it does. It has a dual algorithm of DSAT and PZ+, both of which are less conservative than RGBM. The DSAT is the most liberal of the 2, but it gives the diver the choice. The problem with RGBM, especially the Suunto variety, is the way it calculates NDL over the course of multi-day, multi-dive trips.

I currently use an Oceanic OCi air integrated DC. Love it. And, yes, I have used and still own some Suuntos. The last Suunto I dove with regularly was a Vyper Novo. Nice computer with a large face, easy to read. I never had any problems with it limiting me to much shorter dive times than divers using more liberal computers, but then I mostly did trips that consisted of 2 dives/day for 5 days. With the SI that we had on those types of trips it didn't have a large penalty figured in, although it came close towards the end of the week. But I have had 2 Suuntos to crap out on me, a Gekko I got used with some equipment I bought that apparently the depth sensor flamed out, and a Vyper Air I bought new to replace the Gekko which then went wonky after 1 year. It was replaced under warranty with the Vyper Novo.

I switched to the Oceanic a couple of years ago and I can see a difference. On our trip to AKR 2 years ago, doing 3 dives a day plus a couple of night dives, I had no trouble with the DC putting me into deco. And that was diving air all week with depths exceeding 100 fsw on a few dives. Dive times ranged from 45 to over 60 minutes.

To meet the OP's criteria, I would recommend looking at the Geo 4. It has all the features he/she is looking for, is a wrist style DC, and comes in at under their price limit at 439.95.
Pretty much exactly as I said, but with more practical experience than I have.
I know what I know.

Pretty much exactly as I said, but with more practical experience than I have.
I know what I know.
Have you ever used Oceanic dc?
What did you exactly say about Oceanic DC algorithm used?
@GreggS answered the question I have specifically asked you.
BTW, I happen to use a basic Oceanic on DSAT as back up to Uwatec Aladin.
I would not recommend anything without first hand experience.
"Armchair expert"!!!

Within this budget, I would also go for the Aqualung i330R. Color screen, Bluetooth interface, and app. Just no compass or air integration. Then again, I don't think any of the other computers within the budget have those features.

The Aqualung i330R is available:

Have you ever used Oceanic dc?
What did you exactly say about Oceanic DC algorithm used?
@GreggS answered the question I have specifically asked you.
BTW, I happen to use a basic Oceanic on DSAT as back up to Uwatec Aladin.
I would not recommend anything without first hand experience.
"Armchair expert"!!!
I only recommended to stay away from a poor performing algorithm, which I have a lot of experience with. I stated "there are computers on the OPs list that can accomplish this. Oceanic being one". I don't have to do what you tell me and was well within my lane.
Armchair bossypants.

I only recommended to stay away from a poor performing algorithm, which I have a lot of experience with. I stated "there are computers on the OPs list that can accomplish this. Oceanic being one". I don't have to do what you tell me and was well within my lane.
Armchair bossypants.
There are several computer threads running in parallel. The Suunto Fused RGBM2 can run right along with Buhlmann with a GF high of 95 Thinking about options to upgrade my divecomputer

The more I learn about deco algorithms, the less I make absolute statements.

No to Cosmiq+.

Had two, both failed under benign rec dives and scrutinous care.

Poor service from factory.
I have now had two fail as well, the second after only nine dives. I am hoping to get my money back. Their customer service stinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom