Thinking about options to upgrade my divecomputer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found one function incredibly annoying: the computer beeped evey time I got to safety stop depth, and then again when a few meters deeper, going shallow again - new buzz. Swimming around in the 6-10 meter depth range sounded mostly like a concert - is there a way to disable this? I gave up after trying a good number of times.

Set the safety stop depth to 3 m.

Under Device settings > Tones you can set All off , which will silence all alarms as well. The alarms will still appear on screen.

Or wear a thick hood. I can only hear mine with the hood off.
Or, just wait...and get older. Computers beeping underwater haven't bothered me in years. The only way I know if my computer is beeping is if I see everybody looking at me....

Or, just wait...and get older. Computers beeping underwater haven't bothered me in years. The only way I know if my computer is beeping is if I see everybody looking at me....
Or ride motorcycles, go to rock concerts, work in landscaping as teenager before using ear plugs was a thing.

The Perdix surpasses the Suunto in just about every way.
Hard disagree. I own and Eon Steel (none Bühlmann and a Perdix AI (the original) Both are great computers, both have their positive and negative

I have 1200 dives on the Eon and 500ish with the Perdix. I dive them side by side.

1. Fused RGBM vs Bühlmann I had a max run of 44 repetitive dives. All to 30m+ some requiring deco, some on a scooter with less than optimal dive profile. The Eon was set to P-2 & Perdix 45/95 (Both most aggressive) even on dive 44 of the sequence the NDL and Deco times were within a minute of each other

2. Computer lockouts. To lock out an Eon you need to blow through your deco ceiling and not return (IIRC you have 3mins before it locks you out) People that can't hold their ceiling deserve to be locked out. If you're having a problem sever enough to blow the ceiling, then lockout really shouldn't be an issue

It ONLY locks out if you fail to observe mandatory stops (not optional like SS or deeps stops as some people who fail to read the user manual think.

I've had some sketchy dives in down and up currents and neither computer has been fazed. 1200 blue water ocean dives Zero lockouts

Neither IMO is perfect. I disliked things on both. My biggest niggle for the Perdix that may have been fixed on the newer model was teh screens poor viewing angle (needing a conscious movement of the wrist to read) vs the wide viewing angle of the Eon, and the Perdix poor visibility in bright conditions (I was diving in the Middle East

My main niggle with the Eon was the alarm for missing SS - the only option to silence it was to dangle the computer in the water - Sometimes with silly currents getting out of the water ASAP is the safe option - so a mute would have been preferable.

Other positive and negative points were mainly personal preferences.

The Suunto's tank POD battery is not user serviceable
It is, just order the kit

Under Device settings > Tones you can set All off , which will silence all alarms as well. The alarms will still appear on screen.

Or wear a thick hood. I can only hear mine with the hood off. :cool:
I used to tell my computer to shut up (through my reg) when it bleeped - I kept the alarms on, because in the regular washing machine currents the ascent warning was very useful if task loaded

2. Computer lockouts. To lock out an Eon you need to blow through your deco ceiling and not return (IIRC you have 3mins before it locks you out) People that can't hold their ceiling deserve to be locked out. If you're having a problem sever enough to blow the ceiling, then lockout really shouldn't be an issue

Yes, Suunto certainly locks users for deco violations. But it also seems that Suunto will lock users out for non-deco reasons -- diving on (what Suunto considers) a low battery, and mixing free-diving and scuba-diving modes on the same day. Those are certainly more subjective (when is a battery too low for a dive), but other manufacturers (Shearwater, Ratio) don't lock their users out for that.

Yes, Suunto certainly locks users for deco violations. But it also seems that Suunto will lock users out for non-deco reasons -- diving on (what Suunto considers) a low battery, and mixing free-diving and scuba-diving modes on the same day. Those are certainly more subjective (when is a battery too low for a dive), but other manufacturers (Shearwater, Ratio) don't lock their users out for that.
I've never had or dived a Suunto computer, but come on now. My family owns 4 different models of Oceanic computer, all of them would lock you out for 24 hours if you violated the deco ceiling for more than 5 minutes. None of our Oceanic computers has ever been in violation gauge mode. How hard is it to make your deco stops? How hard is it to not run out of gas? I still dive an Oceanic VT3 with my Teric. My VT3 would also lock me out for 24 hours if I went below 330 feet or had a deco stop below 60 ft, not very likely. If my battery voltage drops below 2.75 volts, I get a warning to change it before a series of dives. It the battery drops below 2.5 volts, it shuts off. I get a warning when my Teric battery is low, if I kept diving, I would imagine it would shut off a some point. Easy solution to battery problems, recharge or change the battery on the first sign of a warning or before.

It is not necessarily a computer defect if the diver is an idiot, sorry.

Several times every year when I am diving off boats in SE FL, "Why is my computer not working normally?' Sorry, it's because you are in violation gauge mode because you missed decompression stops.

I've never had or dived a Suunto computer, but come on now. My family owns 4 different models of Oceanic computer, all of them would lock you out for 24 hours if you violated the deco ceiling for more than 5 minutes. None of our Oceanic computers has ever been in violation gauge mode. How hard is it to make your deco stops? How hard is it to not run out of gas? I still dive an Oceanic VT3 with my Teric. My VT3 would also lock me out for 24 hours if I went below 330 feet or had a deco stop below 60 ft, not very likely. If my battery voltage drops below 2.75 volts, I get a warning to change it before a series of dives. It the battery drops below 2.5 volts, it shuts off. I get a warning when my Teric battery is low, if I kept diving, I would imagine it would shut off a some point. Easy solution to battery problems, recharge or change the battery on the first sign of a warning or before.

Several times every year when I am diving off boats in SE FL, "Why is my computer not working normally?' Sorry, it's because you are in violation gauge mode because you missed decompression stops.
Suunto will also lock you out for fast ascents and for yo-yo profiles.

Assuming you see this post - Not anymore :)

Love my Eon Core. The user interface is well thought out and no need to resort to the manual to change settings as it is so easy to figure out.

400 dives on mine with no issues. Side by side on a dive (cold greenish water) this week I thought the display was easier to read than my buddies Perdix, but about the same as my other buddies Perigrine. You can customize the layout of the display to you liking.

On conservative algorithms: you can set the Eon from +2 (very conservative) to -2 (aggressive) where the default of 0 is about the same as the Zoop at its most aggressive setting. My buddy with the Perigrine ran out of NDL several minutes before I did. My Zoop was at the default of 0, I'm not sure what she had the Perigrine set to.

On lockout for missing required DECO stops: who plans to miss required stops?

One thing not great about the Eon is the Suunto app. If you have an iPhone, MacDive is as much better divelog app for about $10 and uploads from the Eon via bluetooth.

I loved the suunto eon core’s interface..BUT it locked my wife out because it was “low” on battery during a dive…it still had 4 hours of life left…sold them immediately and bought 2 perdix AI’s.

Hard disagree. I own and Eon Steel (none Bühlmann and a Perdix AI (the original) Both are great computers, both have their positive and negative

I have 1200 dives on the Eon and 500ish with the Perdix. I dive them side by side.

1. Fused RGBM vs Bühlmann I had a max run of 44 repetitive dives. All to 30m+ some requiring deco, some on a scooter with less than optimal dive profile. The Eon was set to P-2 & Perdix 45/95 (Both most aggressive) even on dive 44 of the sequence the NDL and Deco times were within a minute of each other

It ONLY locks out if you fail to observe mandatory stops (not optional like SS or deeps stops as some people who fail to read the user manual think.

I've had some sketchy dives in down and up currents and neither computer has been fazed. 1200 blue water ocean dives Zero lockouts

Neither IMO is perfect. I disliked things on both. My biggest niggle for the Perdix that may have been fixed on the newer model was teh screens poor viewing angle (needing a conscious movement of the wrist to read) vs the wide viewing angle of the Eon, and the Perdix poor visibility in bright conditions (I was diving in the Middle East

My main niggle with the Eon was the alarm for missing SS - the only option to silence it was to dangle the computer in the water - Sometimes with silly currents getting out of the water ASAP is the safe option - so a mute would have been preferable.

Other positive and negative points were mainly personal preferences.

It is, just order the kit
according to this page Suunto the POD batteries are no longer user serviceable - This changed following a tank POD recall 4-5 years ago. the only kits I can find online do not include the cover, which Suunto says has to be replaced.

I was not referring to the deco violations, but let's address that.

But by that same logic, we shouldn't be incorporating airbags or seatbelts in cars. If a car driver gets into an accident, we, as a society, don't say, "too bad, they should've been a better driver". What we do, and build cars around, "let's hope they don't get into an accident, but if they do, let's make sure we have a backup safety device to save their life." Would you buy such a car that didn't have an airbag or seatbelt?

Our goal should be first to "do no harm." If a deco ceiling is violated, the computer should focus on getting them safely back to the surface, while minimizing the residual danger of DCS.

Back
Top Bottom