Advice on cold water gear and price (Sherwood or options)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjeiha

New
Reaction score
Hi,

The wife and me are going on the Explorer in Bahamas next week, and rather than throw money out on rent, we figured we might just go ahead and buy regs, gauges and bcds. Though we're obviously diving temperate (hoping for warm...) this time around, we're originally from Oslo, Norway, and need regs for cold water.

We talked to LeisurePro (convenient since we're in New York), and they offered the following package for $670 per person.
- Sherwood Avid CQR2 BCD
- Sherwood Blizzard Regulator, NEW MODEL
- Genesis CG5736 200ft Compact Console
- Sherwood Minimus Octopus, Yellow

Any advice on 1) whether this is a good deal, and 2) whether the gear is good in and of itself or if something should be swapped?

I've searched the forum and found quite a bit on the Avid and some on the blizzard. Elsewhere, I've seen one person complain that the bcd self-inflated, which sounds mighty scary. Anyone else hear of this, or should we consider it a random, one in a million, event?

Thanks a lot for any and all advice!

Sherwood and Genesis are the same brand...you can't go wrong with Sherwood their gear is middle of the road but very rugged and long-lasting...I dove their Avid BC and Blizzard reg for several years in very cold water up in Canada (down to 4-5C). Many ice divers use the Blizzard in water even colder than that.

Cheers.

-J.-

Hi guys,

It was great to meet you both today! I hope we can get you set up with some great gear for your trip and long after. Have a good weekend.

I used a Sherwood Avid during my OW cert last year in Lake Pleasant AZ. in 56* F water wearing a 7mm wetsuit. I was a fine jacket BC. I decided I wanted more lift in a BC and a back inflator. I purchased the Sherwood Tortuga and have logged 9 dives with it. As for regs I went with the warm water variant from Sherwood the Oasis I've been told the Blizzard is nearly identical. I'm happy with mine and see no probelm with what you're being offered.
I chose to go with the Sherwood Gemini breathable inflator and a Oceanic VT3 wireless air integrated computer to eliminate the octo, console and the related hoses. This was done to be more streamline in the water and eliminate 2 possible pieces of equipment that could get caught up underwater. My BCD w/ Gemini and Oasis reg was $700 my computer complete with software, download adapter and transmitter was $650

I bought a used set of Sherwood Maximus, Minimus Octo, SPG Gauge w/ Compass, and dive knife on ebay for $200. Cost me $70 to get serviced. and a Mares Excel Dive computer $400.

I bought the maximus because after using my friends, i really like the adjustability and the under-arm hose routing, and it's also a great cold water reg. It's a level up from their Blizzard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom