Have you used an Air 2 in COLD water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP,

I got an Air 2 when I was a newly minted OW diver with 4 post-OW class under my belt.. I'd just come off a FL boat dive where both the rental reg and rental BCD were leaking. Frustrated, I decided to buy my own gear, and walked into a dive shop and bought a BCD, reg, dive computer, and luggage to bring gear back home cause at the time I lived in NYC. The shop owner recommended the Air 2 and said it's better than having 2 regs and 2 hoses. Being new to diving, I believed him and bought it. I dove Dutch Springs (cold water diving) with the Air 2 but never had to use it for a buddy so it was fine.

It wasn't until I took a rescue class in Key Largo several months later, and had to use the Air 2 for my buddy AND control our buoyancy that I realized how the Air 2 was not the right tool for me. Right after I was done with the Rescue class, I got a second regulator and gave my Air 2 to a OW buddy who already had one, and wanted an extra should he ever have to replace his current Air 2. This OW buddy only dove warm water on vacation and had no plans to go down the technical diving path like me.

That was my experience with the Air 2, and why I chose not to use it any more for my diving. Air 2 was fine until I had to use it for what it was intended for that I realized I'd made a bad choice.

Good luck with your diving.

To the OP,

I got an Air 2 when I was a newly minted OW diver with 4 post-OW class under my belt.. I'd just come off a FL boat dive where both the rental reg and rental BCD were leaking. Frustrated, I decided to buy my own gear, and walked into a dive shop and bought a BCD, reg, dive computer, and luggage to bring gear back home cause at the time I lived in NYC. The shop owner recommended the Air 2 and said it's better than having 2 regs and 2 hoses. Being new to diving, I believed him and bought it. I dove Dutch Springs (cold water diving) with the Air 2 but never had to use it for a buddy so it was fine.

It wasn't until I took a rescue class in Key Largo several months later, and had to use the Air 2 for my buddy AND control our buoyancy that I realized how the Air 2 was not the right tool for me. Right after I was done with the Rescue class, I got a second regulator and gave my Air 2 to a OW buddy who already had one, and wanted an extra should he ever have to replace his current Air 2. This OW buddy only dove warm water on vacation and had no plans to go down the technical diving path like me.

That was my experience with the Air 2, and why I chose not to use it any more for my diving. Air 2 was fine until I had to use it for what it was intended for that I realized I'd made a bad choice.

I agree an Air 2 does not belong in technical dives. However, what was the problem that made you realize the Air2 wasn't for you. Was the hose too short? You didn't like how it breathed? Too hard to control buoyancy of your BCD while breathing from it?

I think you are smart to ask for real world experience, but if there were an issue, don't you think it would be common knowledge? There is often a multitude of mis-information (and often negative comments) about Air2's on here, yet a complaint about cold water performance seems to be missing.

Plus, as mentioned, 50 degrees is a long, long way from freezing.

Not to mention, they have been making the things for how long, 35 years?
A lack of data is not the same as a lack of issues.

There isn't much data on how well ultralights do at 30,000ft......that doesn't mean it's safe to fly an ultralight that high because "no one has reported any issues"

I dive the PNW (Vancouver Island) year-round, with water 44-52 degrees typically. Up until we decided to go the GUE route, my buddy was using an Air2 and I was using an Atomic SS1 just fine (100+ dives).

I'm not sure what would actually stop an Air2 from performing just as well as your standard fare octo would in cold water. The Air2 connecter is a fairly big heatsink and the valve itself has lots of metal to it. The latest Air2 even has a Venturi lever to help prevent free flows. Provided you're not hammering on the inflate button I don't see why it would be any more prone to icing up while in use then any other half dozen regs.

A lack of data is not the same as a lack of issues.

There isn't much data on how well ultralights do at 30,000ft......that doesn't mean it's safe to fly an ultralight that high because "no one has reported any issues"

Is there some reason why an ultra light aircraft would have a problem at 30,000 feet?
Is there some reason why an Air 2 would have a problem at 49 degrees?

Are the two scenarios analogous?

I'm not sure I understand the safety issues as well as you.

have used an air 2 on many dives from 42 degrees to 83 degrees and to 130 feet. have never been forced to use it but my buddy and i have practiced with them on about 25 dives never had a problem, we use the right shoulder dump with left hand when ascending

Not to mention, they have been making the things for how long, 35 years?

First sold in 1979.

Had my oceanic Air 2 clone in the mid to high 40's it worked fine, and so did my buddy's Air 2. We figured we would get different thermal protection if we made a habit of it, 7mm wet was a bigger issue than the seconds.

To the OP,

Your post seems to indicate that your buddy used your AIR2. This is wrong! You always take your Air2, buddy gets your primary.
I have all generations of the Air2 and have been using them since the 80's. Extensively using the 2nd and third gen, which have metal orifices as well as metal inlet tube / air barrels. 4th gen is essentially a cosmetically different 3rd gen with polymer (plastic) orifice and the latest has the most design changes since the 3rd gen was released.
I used the 2nd and 3rd in waters that were in the 40's at depth never had an issue. If the Air2 were to free flow I would simply disconnect it, manual inflate and dump.
When a standard octopus was required for any reason I simply added one. No additional hose and now I have 2 octo regulators.
I have had to use my Air2 only twice, both times were less then fun and involved panicked divers. One thought they were not getting air from their regs and the other was actually out of air due to an inflator hose or connection failure. Both times the panic came on FAST and both times my primary was pulled from my mouth by the person in distress.
The diver who just perceived she was not getting gas actually went unconscious at about 65fsw just above the hull of the USS San Diego. An unconcious diver presents a clear decision for what to do unless your dive profile required hours of deco. This was not the case so up we went. The diver who was out of air had about 30min of bottom time, no deco obligation but we were very close. I was able to complete an extended safety stop with him while on the air2. He calmed down during the stop. In both cases going to my Air2 was instant for me because it is always in the same place and it is always used making grabbing it a thoughtless routine operation.
So I mention this just to add info to make a personal decision not to push anyone in a particular direction. However, when I hear about "handing an out of air and otherwise distressed diver your octopus" I know from experience it may not happen like that. Remember the 2nd stage in your mouth is likely the obvious and closest source of salvation for a person in distress or panic. So for me I like the Merits of the Air2 and when using an octopus regulator I prefer it on a neckless even though I find it in the way a bit. More likely a distressed person might grab it instead of my primary as it is quicker to locate under stress.

Back
Top Bottom