Have you used an Air 2 in COLD water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anybody taken their Air 2 into actual cold water and lived to tell the tale? I am never really sure how strictly these cold water certifications should be observed, especially on a second stage.

In the early 1990's I would sometimes dive in a couple of Ohio quarries (Gilboa and Whitestar) and the Great Lakes using a gear setup that was perfect for MO/AK lakes and quarries. This gear included a Scubapro Mk 10 + G250/Balanced Adjustable + 3rd gen AIR 2, and Stabilizing Jacket (SSJ). Recreational dives. No issues whatsoever.

In fact, IIRC, I dived this very same gear (except, in a drysuit, rather than in my quarter-inch farmer John) during my first trip to Isle Royale MI (in 1994, IIRC), a four-day recreational trip aboard a six-pack, making no-deco air dives to a max depth of 140 [sic] ffw. No issues whatsoever.

ETA. I would strongly recommend, though, for diving in very cold water (e.g., in Lake Superior), use two complete cold water regs (two complete 1st stage + 2nd stage regs) and a standard power inflator. I eventually purchased Poseidon Odin's for my Great Lakes diving.

rx7diver

I have spent most of my diving career on the Great Lakes. Early on, I used an Air2. I never had a problem with it (or my regulators - Mk5/10 and 109/156), but was religious on annual full service. They were also tuned (or detuned?) properly.

That being said, I have seen other's fail in cold water (Tobermory) just being used an an inflator....

I no longer use them for anything but >72 degree water if I use them at all.

er, to know if an AIR2 "works" in cold water i rather think you're gonna have to actually use it, ie breath from it, to find out! If it's just sat there as an expensive hose end, then sure i'll be fine, hell, you could probably freeze it into a solid block of ice and it would just sit their doing nothing perfectly fine.l

Will it work perfectly fine when being deep breathed for 10 minutes,whilst you are fighting a current in sub 10degC water? That's a whole different question.... ;-)

@MaxTorque - you post a bunch of things throughout SB. Your profile lists you as 0 - 24 dives. Are you a "seasoned diver" (contradicts your profile) or a "seasoned theorist"?

Just asking....

er, to know if an AIR2 "works" in cold water i rather think you're gonna have to actually use it, ie breath from it, to find out! If it's just sat there as an expensive hose end, then sure i'll be fine, hell, you could probably freeze it into a solid block of ice and it would just sit their doing nothing perfectly fine.l

Will it work perfectly fine when being deep breathed for 10 minutes,whilst you are fighting a current in sub 10degC water? That's a whole different question.... ;-)

@MaxTorque,

On almost every dive I make, including deeper recreational dives and extended range dives, I spend time "exercising" each regulator I am carrying--not just taking one or two breaths off of each, but spending a bit of time breathing each as if it were my primary reg.

I don't think I am the only diver to do this.

rx7diver.

That isn't what the OP is concerned with and isn't the type of diving he is planning to do.

@MaxTorque - you post a bunch of things throughout SB. Your profile lists you as 0 - 24 dives. Are you a "seasoned diver" (contradicts your profile) or a "seasoned theorist"?

Just asking....
do you blindly assume a persons profile is legit? or religiously kept up to date?

i mean, you can just click a button and boom, you can claim to have 500+ dives.

do you really use a persons profile "dive count" to verify the legitimacy of their claims?

hold on, im going to adjust my dive count to 500000+ dives then ill just come out and pass decrees and youll all have to take what i say as gospel if that is the standard you are using.

No, I just asked a question.......

The post cited no actual experience with the device, so no actual valuable information. Unlike other's postings....

OP recently joined, and filled out a profile... Updating profile maintenance would not likely be an issue...

do you blindly assume a persons profile is legit? or religiously kept up to date?

i mean, you can just click a button and boom, you can claim to have 500+ dives.

do you really use a persons profile "dive count" to verify the legitimacy of their claims?

hold on, im going to adjust my dive count to 500000+ dives then ill just come out and pass decrees and youll all have to take what i say as gospel if that is the standard you are using.

That's why he asked, to verify and clarify.

Please dont hit me with the "oh i was just looking for clarification" BS.......we all know what you were insinuating....your post reeks of snark and contempt.

dont try to come out all innocent now that youve been called on it.

the dude posted a genuine question for those praising the Air2.......will it work when all goes to hell and you are stressing it at below the recommended operating conditions.....

and you came out swinging trying to knock his "experience" rather than address his question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom