Have you used an Air 2 in COLD water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmarks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me start by saying I don't want to hear unfounded negative opinions on the Air 2 or any integrated octo/inflators or recommendations on what I should buy instead.

My shop has recently decided that they really want to start pushing the SSI model of instructors representing the shop's gear and I'm starting to teach a lot so I need to follow the rules, fortunately with key person pricing. We are locating in Iowa and do our checkouts in a cold-ish quarry where I clocked about 53° last week at the coldest. That was about as deep as that quarry gets, but I suppose it is possible that when I start teaching Deep Diver, we could hit sub 50° temperatures somewhere like the hole in Pearl Lake.

The coldest I've ever dived was 39° in Lake Michigan last summer and that was a fun dive and I'm not even considering giving up my Deep 6 regs that served me flawlessly for that trip. Two divers in our group were not able to make any of those dives because their regs freeflowed within 30 feet of the surface, but they were from the Cayman Islands and didn't have proper cold water gear. I plan to have two sets of gear: my VDH BP/W and Deep 6 regs for fun, personal diving in all conditions and my Zeagle Stiletto and the new reg for teaching/backup/loaning to a friend or family member who doesn't have gear of their own.

I'm strongly leaning towards/have fully decided on the ScubaPro Mk17/G260 for my first and primary and I'm also thinking about the Air 2 because we have that on most of our Try Scuba/OW Pool gear so it would allow my reg to be interchangeable and work with the shop's BCs (keeping my BC out of the chlorine) and be the same as what the students are using. My only concern is that the Air 2 is only certified for "cold" water above 50°F/10°C.

Has anybody taken their Air 2 into actual cold water and lived to tell the tale? I am never really sure how strictly these cold water certifications should be observed, especially on a second stage.

even true cold water regs free flow when the water is in the 30's...Air2s are not all that confidence inspiring in the first place, so if they arent rated for below 50, i really wouldnt push it.

the other thing you need to think about is what happens if your power inflator starts to free flow......well standard procedure is to simply disconnect it ( or for some cold diving, not even have it connected in the first place).....well if you need to do that, you dont have a safe second anymore.

I have used it for many years in New England and NY/NJ waters without any issues. I go down to 100+ feet with it no problems. I also dove with it at Dutch Springs, no issues either. No experience in icy cold water with it however.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of the Air 2 and integrated seconds/inflators in general. That's why I didn't set up my gear with one to begin with. Every compromise is a tradeoff - you get the best and the worst of both. In this case I'm looking for convenience of matching the gear my students will be in while in the pool and being able to match my own reg to the shop's BCs as well as the price - I have no interest in the R195 or R095 that SP markets as their octos and the Air 2 has a pretty enticing price compared to something like a second G260 (in which case I might as well buy a whole second Mk17/G260 system and be ready for doubles).

I'm asking if anyone has ever run into trouble with an Air 2 while diving in cold water.

EDIT
I have used it for many years in New England and NY/NJ waters without any issues. I go down to 100+ feet with it no problems. I also dove with it at Dutch Springs, no issues either. No experience in icy cold water with it however.
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I don't expect to do any icy cold water for any reason, but I assume NE and Dutch Springs might be somewhat similar to Great Lakes temperatures.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of the Air 2 and integrated seconds/inflators in general. That's why I didn't set up my gear with one to begin with. Every compromise is a tradeoff - you get the best and the worst of both. In this case I'm looking for convenience of matching the gear my students will be in while in the pool and being able to match my own reg to the shop's BCs as well as the price - I have no interest in the R195 or R095 that SP markets as their octos and the Air 2 has a pretty enticing price compared to something like a second G260 (in which case I might as well buy a whole second Mk17/G260 system and be ready for doubles).

I'm asking if anyone has ever run into trouble with an Air 2 while diving in cold water.

EDIT

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I don't expect to do any icy cold water for any reason, but I assume NE and Dutch Springs might be somewhat similar to Great Lakes temperatures.

NOTE: When you use the Air II as your alternate air supply, you will have to donate your own primary second stage to the diver who is OOA and you switch to your own Air II. You will need to have a longer hose on the primary second stage, 120cm/48in are ideal, for you to be able to pass the primary to the OOA and still be comfortable for both divers.

NOTE: When you use the Air II as your alternate air supply, you will have to donate your own primary second stage to the diver who is OOA and you switch to your own Air II. You will need to have a longer hose on the primary second stage, 120cm/48in are ideal, for you to be able to pass the primary to the OOA and still be comfortable for both divers.
SSI teaches primary donate. I have a 7 foot hose that I use when I'm diving with my BP/W and I currently have a 48" hose that I'm using with my stiletto. My alternate is always around my neck.

But let's be real, if I'm on an Air 2, there is no length of hose that makes it comfortable for both divers. Breathing off of an integrated second just isn't comfortable.

I have both an Octo and an Air 2 because more air is more gooder. (If you don't speak Oklahoma redneck, that means better)

I took mine to Haigh Quarry in to mid 40's, maybe 60 feet, with no problems...but I wasn't breathing on it either. The thermocline at 42 feet felt like someone punched me in the face. Lake Michigan was low 50's, maybe 80 feet, and no problems, but again was just used as an inflator. My Air 2's have been damn near bulletproof.

Those that don't like their Air 2's can send them to me.

Good luck with the chilly Willy diving!
Jay

Breathing off of an integrated second just isn't comfortable.
You may need more practice, to change your config slightly, or to fix the tune on your air2. I've used mine plenty of times (I frequently practice with it) and don't' find it to be a problem at all. One thing that makes a huge difference in usability is having a pull dump on your bcd.

I've never had the desire to dive cold water, so I can't comment on cold water performance myself. Works great in warm water :).

Because of the second stage design, it might clog up with ice easier than some other second stages with bigger cases and more brass to work as a heatsink, but unless you're planning to do entire dives on it in freezing water, I see no issue using it.

And a thing that actually speaks for them is that they actually have a metal barrel, which alot of these polymer firsts don't even have.

Back
Top Bottom