Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cold water regulator question is one of perpetual interest. It seems to me that for most of the regulators people use under "normal" cold water conditions the only thing that exists is anecdotal evidence. I dive a lot in Ohio quarries, and I know there are some midwest divers on this forum that are also familiar with them. So, for fall and spring diving -- say 40F water and 40F air temps -- is there any reporting out there on makes and models and which ones have freeflowed and which ones have not? I'm guessing the answer is no. I've never had a reg free flow, but, of course, it happens. I have heard anecdotal stories about popular balanced pistons and popular unsealed compact diaphragm regs, but I have not personally seen any real statistics and don't have much of a sample size to go by. (And those regs are two of the most popular regulators in the world, so it may just be a case of more people using them.)

The standard advice for cold water is to use a sealed diaphragm model. But I have always been curious if there is publicly available information out there for regs operating under conditions in between tropical diving and arctic conditions in freezing weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom