2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor said I should lose 2.5 kgs/5 lbs to get back to 70 kgs/155 lbs; I said okay, let me take off my workboots & clothes and reweigh me.:D

(He then told me my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were too high. . .:shakehead:)

You want aerobic, high coordination, core strength & power exercises? Go Swing Dancing . . .(much more fun too!!!:lotsalove:)

Glad to see that everyone is still trying. That is The Key; to never give up.

From what has been published recently there is no doubt the weight calculation is Calories in Vs. Calories Out. If more go in than are used then there is weight gain. If a person uses more calories than then eat then there is weight loss. Points out that movement, any movement is Good but is only half the story. The other half is proper nutrition.

Contrary to all those "weight loss" books there are no gimmicks, no secret methods, no special exercises. Just whatever exercise keeps up interest. All movement is Good. Food is whatever properly feeds the body with all the calories and nutrients it needs. Most of what is in the supermarket doesn't fill that bill. A good book on that subject is: "An Omnivores Dilemma"

As for me since the last time I posted: I gained 5lbs. on my trips to the tropics, too much food. But I also got in about a dozen dives and two nice bike rides through the hills, one 30 miler and another of a bit over 40 miles. Right now the jeans I have on are the same size as what I wore in high school (Do you think the clothing manufacturers have changed sizes to make me feel good?) but I weigh 20 lbs more than back then. My goal, still, is to get down another 10 lbs without losing strength.

Tomorrow is a 2 hr spin bike ride. I am very fortunate we have a good leader and classmates who are very supportive of each other.

Best to all and Onward to the Goal!!!!

Stepped on the scale this morning. :depressed: Thankfully I had the 2 hour spin bike class scheduled.

Would you believe every bike was used? They used to have trouble using half of them; about 35 bikes I think. Now that the Saturday class has been lengthened everyone had a rider on it.

We took two breaks to do Arms and Abs, sort of a mix of Bodywork, Pilates and Yoga since our instructor is certified for all three. She is awesome. Without a doubt the fittest person I have ever met. She is "real size" and knows exactly how to demonstrate exercises and encourage us.

I had an accident about a month ago where I ramed my kneecap into the metal stake pocket on a trailer while I was jumping up onto it. So, it is a matter of Patella Pain. Range of motion and strength seem to be OK.

Anyway I feel better now and maybe soon I'll be able to report some gains that will encourage others. In the meantime: Keep On Keeping On:lotsalove:

Well, I lost 24lb since the beginning of February! But I did it the easy way. I spent a total of 30 days in the hospital and got rid of 2' of small intestines due to a blockage. Not the way I wanted to loose weight but it worked. Went from 194lb to 269.5lb. Is this cheating?:D
Take care,
Steve

Activity: anything you want... walking, skipping, biking, swimming, dvd exercise,
running, gardening or snow shovelling ^^^^^^^^

Hi everyone,

I do the DVD workout but you have to guess which one.

Monday its---CHEST & BACK this changes after 4 weeks
Tuesday its--PLYOMETRICS this is a cardio its every week except week 4, 8, 12
Wednesday - SHOULDERS & ARMS this changes after 4 weeks
Thursday----YOGA
Friday-------LEGS & BACK this is every week
Saturday----Kenpo Karate its a cardio
Sunday----- I take this off sometimes i run 3 miles if I miss one of the above workouts

I love this workout, it works on an older person I'm 55

Well, I lost 24lb since the beginning of February! But I did it the easy way. I spent a total of 30 days in the hospital and got rid of 2' of small intestines due to a blockage. Not the way I wanted to loose weight but it worked. Went from 194lb to 269.5lb. Is this cheating?:D
Take care,
Steve

The easy way, eh?????

Reminds me, while I was in the grocery store a couple days ago I ran into a guy I used to go into the back country with. Hadn't seen him for a couple years as his wife had a series of health issues that totally changed his life. Anyway, he is gaunt and pale. He has lost 45 pounds since last September. That is when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He says by the time he decided to see the docs it was far enough along he is now just receiving pallative care. SAD.

He was on an aircraft carrier in the Navy and then cross decked to Coast Guard aviation. Both places had lots of asbestos, jet fuel fumes and other noxious stuff. Seems to prove that that kind of exposure may not bite you for a lot of years.

Take care,
Steve

You meant to 169.5, right? No, that is not cheating. I would not want to lose weight by having to be in a hospital. :shakehead: I am glad you are out.

I have lost another 4 pounds since last time I checked in. Been doing yoga at least 3times a week. Last week was spring break, and I went to 6 yoga classes. It was awesome... my muscles ached, though, and I gained two pounds... but after coming back home and going back to my regular routine, I not only lost those two pounds, I lost another 2! Hooray... :blinking:

It is so nice to look in the mirror and like what I see. Almost into the next size lower of pants... 1/2 an inch to go around the hips/thighs for it to happen. The waist is already there. :D

Last edited:
Helllllooooooooooooooo! Anyone out there?

I am working out again. Trying to ease back into it, starting light, but exercising daily.
Sunday 5/10 - Treadmill (35 min), 1.8 miles, approx 270 calories.
Monday 5/11 - AM: Wii Fit (Free Step) (30 min),
- PM: Treadmill (35 min), 1.86 miles, approx 315 calories.

Tonight I am going to see Wolverine with my husband, so I will probably only get some wii fit in afterwards. C'est la vie. Anyone else out there?

Well, I am going to continue logging in despite others being dialed out. :)

Tuesday 5/12 - No exercise as I had a date with my husband to go to the movies.
Wednesday 5/13 - Walk outside (40 minutes), approximately 1.8 miles, so strolling
Wednesday 5/13 - Wii fit (41 min - 30 free step; 11 hula hooping), HRM indicates 513 calories.

Ah, again I am the sole SBer in here...

Thursday 5/14 - Treadmill (35 minutes), 1.7 miles, approximately 265 calories. Followed by 6 minutes on the recumbent bike, 1.21 miles, approximately 45 calories. Average HR 135, max 152. HRM indicates 55 minutes of exercise (including time walking to and from the gym) - totaling 701 calories, but I don't really buy the calorie count. :D

Back
Top Bottom