Zeagle Stiletto and Octo Z Annual Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmorriss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Since I have recently relocated back to FL I want to get my fins wet again and I am due for annual service. I would like to do it all myself but given the time situation at the moment I'll put off 1st stage work for a bit and take that to a shop.

I would like to do my Stilleto and Octo Z on my own, they do not appear all that difficult but I have yet to find any firm direction on the net. Is this doable-mechanical ability and tools are hardly a concern.

unless you have been properly trained and have all the tools and parts kits. I suggest you take it to a reputable shop for warranty service. after all it is your life support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

biggest thing on the BCD is to properly flush it when used in salt water and have an SmB or lift bag in the event of a catastrophic failure in open water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would visually inspect the OPV valves on the Stiletto. Not much to it, just look for corrosion, clean up as necessary and replace parts as needed. No rocket science involved there. The key to the BCD is rinsing and cleaning after use. I fill the bcd with water and flush it out with air, I do this 2 or 3 times if my gear is going to sit unused for a while. For the inflator, make sure it is rinsed well in fresh water too. After 100 dives, I have had zero problems with my Stiletto. If there is a leak, replace the inflator valve if it starts to leak. Such things for me are worth the money to replace the valve instead of trying to service it myself. I spend too much money on trips to deal with problems. Again, YMMV.

If not familiar the reg service take it in to have it serviced, that is what I would do. If you want to service it yourself, I would buy the books often mentioned on SB, make sure you have the proper tools and test it in the pool or someplace shallow prior to any trip so you have time to get it serviced properly.

These are just my suggestions, YMMV.

On a Zeagle you can unscrew the inflator and hook it to a water hose.. sprinkle the lawn with it and drain. Fill it with air and make sure nothing is leaking. If anything on the zeagle is expired it can be replaced.. keeps going, and going, and going.. they stand behind their stuff.

Then take another look at the Octo-z, buy a zeagle inflator... problem solved.

BC was always flushed, even after spring dives and hangs happily on it's BC hanger in the AC otherwise. I did 25 dives in my first 3 months of diving late 2008, 25 more since...looking to rectify that now that I live in dive friendly territory again.

I'll look at the OPV's this weekened-I was initially thinking they were orings or something but now I am thinking more flaps-I'll look at it this weekend. Really more concerned with things drying out given the light use lately.

First, take whatever people who use "divemaster" in their name say with a grain of salt.

Second, if a BC holds air it is good to go plain and simple, a BC check is just a way for a shop to make money. I was told this by an honest instructor/owner of a dive shop. The only O-rings in a BC are in the inflater not in the OPV valves.

Third, A first stage is not all that hard to rebuild. You do need a service kit and some tools. Zeagle sells both to the end user, I would call Zeagle Express to see what you need. You can find the manual online.

First, take whatever people who use "divemaster" in their name say with a grain of salt.

Second, if a BC holds air it is good to go plain and simple, a BC check is just a way for a shop to make money. I was told this by an honest instructor/owner of a dive shop. The only O-rings in a BC are in the inflater not in the OPV valves.

Third, A first stage is not all that hard to rebuild. You do need a service kit and some tools. Zeagle sells both to the end user, I would call Zeagle Express to see what you need. You can find the manual online.

1. Figured as much :wink:

2. Good to know.

3. I've been wanting to it for a while, just now getting back into stuff and still getting situated in a house. Getting my garage workshop and stuff set up for hurricane season is a lil higher priority then learning ANOTHER skill at the moment. I fix/build/modify everything from computers, guns, lawnmowers and about any home repair project so I am not lacking the skill or most tools-just time. Any lead on that manual? I've only been able to find a general end user one much less an IPL or technical manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom