Servicing Xstreams at home - Tips and Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a laudable goal, considering the quality of some low-ball tech service, at least in the US. I encourage most to do so, if they have even the slightest inclination -- and know of no one who ever went back to techs, after doing it themselves.

My advice would simply be to get your tools together; determine whether your regulators are already up to snuff; and to work upon them when and if actually necessary.

The Xstream is surprising simple to service when the time comes; and the manual walks you through most every step; and there are plenty of other resources on SB to help that effort along.

Good luck . . .
Thanks, I'll wait then.

Thanks everyone for your input! Gave me great insight.

Okay not so quick!... on the subject of trusting strangers. Please see attached picture...

Attachments

• 20230610_213642.jpg
    20230610_213642.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 97
Was flooded at some point.
Yea so definitely will need to do a full service of it sooner than later.

My torque wrench also arrived.. No calibration certificate, so that makes that somewhat useless. Great...
Going back to the seller.

I'd ask for suggestions for torque wrenches at a fair price in the range of 3-6Nm or even 3-30Nm if that's a thing.
But it's not likely to be the same options available in the UK as in the US..

Once the torque values get that low, I've never had much faith in torque wrenches. At those level, I switch to torque screwdrivers.

In the US you can get really nice precision torque screwdrivers like the Utica TS-35 for very little money on eBay. But that knowledge is probably of no practical use to you.

Once the torque values get that low, I've never had much faith in torque wrenches. At those level, I switch to torque screwdrivers.

In the US you can get really nice precision torque screwdrivers like the Utica TS-35 for very little money on eBay. But that knowledge is probably of no practical use to you.
I hear you. Haven't come across those though. I found bike wrenches are almost there, often going 2Nm-15 or even 20.
There are many pre-set torque screwdrivers.
I'll Google the brand name, see what comes up. First hit was $600 that's a bit rich 😄

I guess a used torque wrench is also not to be trusted. I mostly bought this first one because it allegedly came with a certificate.

The verdigris in that photo may have resulted from, yes, either a flood or even the most minor of water intrusion -- and you won't really know until you crack it open.

Was that also grit or sand around the o-ring in the photo, after some so-called servicing, seven months back? Gotta call BS on that, whether it was the seller or even the dive tech that may have screwed him. Both are all-too common these days and why there is such a thriving DIY forum.

Out of morbid curiosity, was the regulator ever hooked up -- its IP tested?

On wrenches, Poseidon had long distributed, at greatly inflated cost, a Hazet 15-35 Nm torque wrench -- a great German brand -- which can readily be found at a fraction of their ridiculous catalogue prices elsewhere, which had been close to US 500.00. There was even a laughable toolkit that was circulating around, in a fancy box, a few years back, now about 8K, marketed, apparently, to wealthier mouth-breathers (see below).

Specific proprietary wrench heads for the Hazet are available through SIlent Explorers, among others, for under US 100.00 . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.31.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.31.32 PM.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 93
The verdigris in that photo may have resulted from, yes, either a flood or even the most minor of water intrusion -- and you won't really know until you crack it open.

Was that also grit or sand around the o-ring in the photo, after some so-called servicing, seven months back? Gotta call BS on that, whether it was the seller or even the dive tech that may have screwed him. Both are all-too common these days and why there is such a thriving DIY forum.

Out of morbid curiosity, was the regulator ever hooked up -- its IP tested?

On wrenches, Poseidon had long distributed, at greatly inflated cost, a Hazet 15-35 Nm torque wrench, which can readily be found at a fraction of their ridiculous catalogue prices elsewhere, which was close to US 500.00. There was even a laughable toolkit that was circulating around, in a fancy box, a few years back, now about 8K, marketed, apparently, to wealthier mouth-breathers (see below)!

Specific proprietary wrench heads for the Hazet are available through SIlent Explorers, among others, for under US 100.00 . . .

I mean.. It's a nice looking box! :wink:

I have had it pressurized only. I don't own cylinders as I rely entirely on public transport which doesn't allow pressurised gasses.
Only got the IP gauge afterwards.

I think the other first stage has been serviced. It has the sticker on for calibrated from the EAN40 kit and looks better in the ports.

It's really strange. I think the guy decided to switch up some bits for some reason.

public transport which doesn't allow pressurised gasses

I never understand this... how do normal people do anything?

I assume there is an exception for medical?
If you had a rebreather you could call it life support.:wink:

I have had it pressurized only. I don't own cylinders as I rely entirely on public transport which doesn't allow pressurised gasses.
How do you propose to service your regulators without access to pressurized gas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom