DIY Weighting Ideas for ScubaPro MFS Fins (SuperNova & S-Tek)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
TL:DR I'm creating this thread to see if the collective ScubaBoard "we" can come up with some DIY-able method(s) for weighting the new ScubaPro MFS Fins (SuperNova & S-Tek)

Background:

I recently obtained a pair of ScubaPro SeaWing SuperNovas.​
I'm pleased that the "Large" size "Open-Heel" foot pockets seem like they will fit everything in my current stable of footwear​
  • Size 9 DeepSea 5mmm Safe-Sole Ergos (wet -warm, boat)
  • Size M SeaSoft Ti Stealths (wet - quarry)
  • Size 9W Altama Maritime Assaults (wet - wear to travel in)
  • Size 10.5W Altama Maritime Assaults (dry)
I dove them for 8 warm-water dives in Cozumel (3mm suit with, 5mm soft-sole booties). They are buoyant enough to help with my sinky feet when diving wet.​
Since they fit my full footwear range, I would like to be able to dive them dry as well. But they would need to be more negatively buoyant as my feet are somewhat floaty when diving dry. (Yes, I know, gaiters and ankle weights, but I'd prefer not to go that route.)​
I would imagine that the ability to tune the net-buoyancy based on person/equipment/circumstances would be useful to a good number of "us".​
I came back from my trip re-injured so I'll be out of the water for a while. :( Tinkering with diving equipment is the next best thing. :wink:

Off the shelf option(s):

S-Tek Blades
  • I don't believe that increasing the net mass of the moving, cantilevered part of the fin is the optimal way to adjust buoyancy. I believe that it will reduce efficiency and "feel" vs weighting at the foot pocket area.
  • (For me) Undetermined pros/cons of the greater angle, smaller blade, and flatter blade profile.
  • I'd also have to buy them - $$
Wishful Thinking - ScubaPro, are you listening?
It seems to me the best way to deal with this in a "Modular Fin System" would be to have the ability to weight the foot-pocket section. I took a look at the existing structure of the foot pocket. It seems to me that it would be possible to put molded slots or recesses along each side of the fin, between the strap-mounting boss and the takedown-pin area. Even if each slot was 0.5" "thick" It would extend only trivially wider than the installed straps.​
On my "Large" pockets, that looks like it could fit a 4"L x 1.5"W weight. Assuming that even on smaller pockets something on the order 3.5"L x 1"W would work. If weight plates were made from 0.25" thick 316L, they would have a volume of (3.5" * 1" * 0.25" =) 0.875in³. With 316L having a density of 0.289 lb/in³, each plate would be about a 1/4 lb (0.875in³ * 0.289 lb/in³ = 0.252875lb). With space for 4 plates (2 per slot, 2 sides), that would give configurable buoyancy on the order of up to a pound of reduced buoyancy at each foot.​
Additional MFS Lock-plates could be used to retain the weight-plates in the slots for consistency.​

DIY Concepts (since Scuba rule #1 - Don't hold your breath {for SP to do it for us}):

Spring Straps (Wahh - Waaa):
  • I pulled my spring straps off of my OMS Slipstreams with high hopes. They will fit the two rear pin positions on the strap-bosses - easy-peasy.
  • However (allowing for an equivalent length version) the Spring straps are about 0.1lb heavier on the scale. Even allowing for density differences, we are probably looking at around 2-3 oz (0.125-0.1875lb) per fin buoyancy reduction at best.
  • Better, but not enough by itself to make a significant difference.
Inside the pocket at the Toe:
  • Could be molded lead - dense, easy and cheap to produce at different "thicknesses" (within limits) once the molds are made
  • Drain holes can pass a 1/4" "bolt" for alignment/retention. (Some outside spreader plate would be needed)
  • Not a huge volume and it is going to be very dependent on the user/pocket- size/footwear combination. (Since my feet are fat/wide, not long, there is a good amount of room ahead of the boots in the foot pocket, especially with the larger soled boots)
Outside the pocket at the Toe:
  • Could be molded lead - dense, easy and cheap to produce at different "thicknesses" (within limits) once the molds are made
  • Drain holes can pass a 1/4" "bolt" for alignment/retention. (Some inside spreader plate would be needed)
  • Can surround (cap) the toe-box and around the webs between the toe and the arm-sockets to provide a pretty good volume without extending above or below the arm sockets
  • Length is more limited with S-Tek blades as the blade sits closer to the toe-box
  • Impinges on the toe-box to blade water channel - unknown hydro-dynamic implications

Next:
  • What do you all think?
  • Other Ideas?

Not yet a fully formed plan but this area
IMG_8989.jpeg

seems to be ripe for adding some SS plating

Not yet a fully formed plan but this areaView attachment 818562
seems to be ripe for adding some SS plating
On my Large pockets that area is about 5.5"L (without covering the drain hole) and 2"W (Average). If we used 0.3125" thick plate (I think 0.375 would be too thick), that would be 3.4375in³ and just a shade under 1lb.

Interesting.

How to attach, though ...

A metal version of the plastic holder for the S tek weights which serves as the nut with flush screws coming from the bottom.

its just a gelatinous idea floating around in my head, haven‘t spent any time fleshing it out. I’m going to bed soon hoping to dive tomorrow but won’t be able to decide on that until 0200 when I get up. I can work up a rough drawing if I call the dive or in a day or two if I go.

Riffing on what I think you are suggesting ...

A thin sheet of stainless with press-inserted threaded female standoffs ("PEM" stud type) that sits inside on the "floor" of the foot pocket with the standoffs projecting through holes punched/drilled through the bottom of the foot pocket.

Weight plate drilled with holes large-enough to pass the standoffs and the bottom chamfered or counter-bored to accept the heads of the mounting screws.

Riffing on what I think you are suggesting ...

A thin sheet of stainless with press-inserted threaded female standoffs ("PEM" stud type) that sits inside on the "floor" of the foot pocket with the standoffs projecting through holes punched/drilled through the bottom of the foot pocket.

Weight plate drilled with holes large-enough to pass the standoffs and the bottom chamfered or counter-bored to accept the heads of the mounting screws.
Sounds about right

With the availability of online prototype laser cutting and sheet-metal fab, that would be pretty achievable (If they have the SS standoffs).

The inner plate and the weight-plate drilling pattern could probably be standardized across the various foot pocket sizes without much issue. Maximal weight would possibly (probably) be sacrificed if limiting to a weight-plate size that would fit the smaller foot pockets.

I marked your picture up with the rough dimensions of the size LARGE foot pocket recess - Not enough for production drawings, but to see how much it differs from the XL if you'll check.

ScubaPro MFS Open Heel Foot Pocket - Size Large
ScubaProMFSOpenHeelBottomRecess-RoughDimensions-SizeLarge.jpg

Looks like maybe 1/2" longer and trivially wider. Assuming building for a Large size that extended just to the long bottom drain hole, I'd guess there would be a loss of < 10% compared to maxing out equivalently for an XL.

Looks like maybe 1/2" longer and trivially wider. Assuming building for a Large size that extended just to the long bottom drain hole, I'd guess there would be a loss of < 10% compared to maxing out equivalently for an XL.
The weight difference would be small

Back
Top Bottom