Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had both, right now I have a console, and like it better. I run the console though the sholder strap on my BC under my arm. That keeps the console right on the middle of my chest. Easy to see and I always know where it is.

That was exactly my thought and idea, just look down and both hands are still free!

I like to have mine on my wrist..cause I dont have the problem of misplacing it.
After the dive I always hook it on to the BCD which gets soaked in fresh water.
This way it gets cleaned while washing my gear and I always know where to find it.

Why would different algorithms matter? They truly don't. You pick whichever computer as your primary and other as a backup. You follow primary and if that one dies you switch to backup. They do not have to use same/similar algorithms as long as you dive them at the same time :)

Sorry - gotta strongly disagree - (respectfully, of course :D)

Maybe its me, but I don't want an Oceanic - which is considered "liberal" - on my console, and a Suunto (very conservative - and yes, I know you can set them to be less so but they still are very conservative), for example, on my wrist.

I want my gear in sinc - I don't want to look at the Suunto and have it tell me I need 10 min's of deco when the Oceanic says I can go up - If I ignore the Suunto, it locks and is usless for 24 hours, negating the back up feature of the 2nd computer.

I may be overstating a little for the sake of the example, but not much - I owned a Suunto, and returned it after 10 dives (another reason to have good relationship w/ your LDS) - I know many love them, but just as many complain that when their buddy is "in the green" they need time before they can go up.

Lets see.....certainly not my intent, but did I open a can of worms w/ the LDS comment - or maybe conservative vs liberal computers - or maybe Suunto vs the others :shakehead::rofl3: :D

Zeagle N2ition? Wrist..........I'm perplexed, talk amongst yourselves..........

I think maybe a mini SPG and a wrist now. But isn't that the purpose of a great thread to help us decide. I'll make the DC a checklist item to recover and secure after a dive.

Sorry - gotta strongly disagree - (respectfully, of course :D)

Maybe its me, but I don't want an Oceanic - which is considered "liberal" - on my console, and a Suunto (very conservative - and yes, I know you can set them to be less so but they still are very conservative), for example, on my wrist.

I want my gear in sinc - I don't want to look at the Suunto and have it tell me I need 10 min's of deco when the Oceanic says I can go up - If I ignore the Suunto, it locks and is usless for 24 hours, negating the back up feature of the 2nd computer.

I may be overstating a little for the sake of the example, but not much - I owned a Suunto, and returned it after 10 dives (another reason to have good relationship w/ your LDS) - I know many love them, but just as many complain that when their buddy is "in the green" they need time before they can go up.

Lets see.....certainly not my intent, but did I open a can of worms w/ the LDS comment - or maybe conservative vs liberal computers - or maybe Suunto vs the others :shakehead::rofl3: :D

I actually do have Oceanic/Suunto combination as described. I use Suunto as my primary and Oceanic console as my backup. But then again I dive conservatively by default (I guess all this training and professional deformation). You can setup Suunto to be less conservative if you wish. In fact I have them set up separately as my Oceanic is set up for safety stops and Suunto is setup for deep stops. I follow Suunto up to 15 ft range then at that time I do the safety stop/last deep stop. This way I actually do more conservative dive then required. But that is just me. Use more conservative for the dives and have more liberal for backup works good enough for me as I figured out one can afford to err on the safe side :)

My computer is a console style. We bought it when we were new divers and didn't know better. I wish I had gotten a wrist computer. So my vote: wrist style.

I agree that it's the size of the numbers that matters. Are there any suggestions as to which wrist mounts have larger number displays?

The Vytech has pretty big numbers, and I believe the Cochrans do, too. But the hands-down winner in the over-45 eyes department is the Liquivision X1. But the price tag is hefty.

My computer is a console style. We bought it when we were new divers and didn't know better. I wish I had gotten a wrist computer. So my vote: wrist style.

Most computers are hocky pucks, and can be removed from one mounting system, and put in another. You may want to contact your LDS, or LP/ScubaToys/DiversDirect whomever, and discuss getting your puter out of the console, and into a wrist mount.

It may be less expensive that you think! :D

I have had both, right now I have a console, and like it better. I run the console though the sholder strap on my BC under my arm. That keeps the console right on the middle of my chest. Easy to see and I always know where it is.

I don't understand this logic. How does one not know where their computer is regardless of the mounting system?

Most divers I know like wrist mounted computers, and many have started with consoles and gone to a wrist mount. An instructor I know dives an AI console, but when asked, she indicated she wished she had gone AI~hoseless.

Back
Top Bottom