Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TS & M makes a great point on a drift ascent using a console which totally just blew my shopping experience and logic reasoning off on a tangent. This is one of those Catholic vs Baptist issues.

The console I have in mind has some great loops for front storage on my BC with some velcro so the grab and "have to hold" factor may be minimal for operating my deflate pull or integrated button on the BC tube with my left hand.

My stooges are both 4.3 & 4.1 GPA's in high school, so yes I feel they can handle the PADI OW cert.

My theory is I want them to check early and often so making a mental note to grab the line and check works for me. Personally I'm OCDing on the issue, my major goal is to get them interested in the Sport and to stick with it. They won't give a crap IMHO, unless someone invents a text capable 4th console with a transmitter through Verizon!

I guess I came up with another issue that we can all appreciate and learn from but for me, my velcro is the same as a zip clip on the bc with less chance of loss, and its a cost I'd like to secure on a line vs a watch.

Do you still need a watch other than to show people at the bar that you're a diver?...........

I am re-thinking that a console would be better overall since you just reach for a hose vs your wrist and check as needed during a dive (frequent).

You just reach for you console, instead if your wrist? :D How about just glancing at your wrist without reaching for anything, and knowing everything you need to about your current status. That is exactly what I do with my AI computer, and I love it!

However there is nothing wrong with console AI computers, console computers, or wrist computers, I just think that most would purchase an AI in a heartbeat if money was no object. I prefer wrist mount for both my compass, and puter.

Would you purchase a computer that only measured one depth and than used a small table to determine the entire dive profile? If you are diving tables, that is what most divers basically do. If you are diving shallow, this is no big deal. If you are diving deep, and then ascending slowly, this is a huge mistake IMO. Of course I've seen many non-computer divers do about the same profile I do on a deep dive, but they generally add things into the mix, like diving in thirds.

I am not talking about tech diving, just rec where no deco is the rule, and long times at deep depths would freeze up most computers on the market.

Having your gauge on your wrist means you can reference it constantly, regardless of what else you may be doing with your hands. And I think this is particularly important for newer divers...

Exactly

TSandM:
I don't use air-integration, because checking my gas every five to ten minutes is not that onerous. My husband uses a transmitter on his Vytech, and it's a temperamental beast, and not nearly reliable enough to justify the money, to me.

I use an Aeris Epic, and while I see every now and then when uploading dives where it may not record pressure at an interval (one minute is an example of an interval), I've never seen my computer loose my pressure on a dive, but I'm not staring at it constantly, so that is a possibility.

However I make the same argument you do above for getting pressure. You may not need to look at it more than a few times a dive, but it's nice to have it available on the wrist. If something goes wrong with your air (leaky reg for example) more so.

I generally leave a SPG attached to my reg/BC, but I rarely check it, and have never needed to in the past several years while using my Epic as an SPG. However I believe in backups.

So lets argue Chapter 5 page 227 of the PADI OW Bible for Newbies

I'm gonna take my reg back to the hotel anyway for downloads. Being a techy at 40 plus you can still secure your reg at the complex and download after a shower or review your options with the better half and hopefully your not both in bathtubs worring about a blue pill to kick in

I have 2 wrist computers - one AI and one not. Go with the former as my primary and latter as my back up. I used to have AI on console but it's inconvient to reach for. I also have a small gauge to check air pressure as a back-up info source so I'm not reliant on AI.

I had 3 consoles (between wife and I) go within 30 dives. Manufacturer replaced. Last one lasted about 50 dives. Then day I borrowed a friends wrist moust and I had to attach and SPG. It took all of 30 seconds before I knew I would never use my console again. I like having both hands free, being able to hold a line while deflating wing on ascent and still know what my depth is. Or rigging/shooting an SMB without holding a console. I like not having a do deal with another connector related console issue. Perhaps the puck will have an issue one day, but so far I've put 60 dives on it and no problems.

But, only you can make your choice. Borrow a Gekko or something, and try it to see if you like it. I can't imagine losing it. I'm careful about it and am as likely to lose my wrist computer as I am my weight belt. Not gonna happen (knock knock knock)

I had another thought. Make them spend their hard earned money on expensive wrist mount computers. I have a 1500 dollar VR3 and guarantee you that I always know where it is. :crafty:

Do you still need a watch other than to show people at the bar that you're a diver?...........
Actually, I use it to show people at the bar that I can afford to spend $5,000 on a watch that doesn't tell time very well. :wink:

I paid well under $700 for my Epic with transmitter.. I promised not to tell exactly how much, or from whom, but I don't think I was the only one getting this deal.

Basically a SB advertiser said, make me an offer on anything. I offered $600, and they countered with a price just a bit higher. At that price, I could not say no.

The point is, AI computers don't wholesale for even $600 for most models, and some dealers are willing to bargain, especially on display stock. Mine came with everything, and appeared new, but I bet it was a display model. The box was a bit beat up. I can live with that, as long as the computer was not!

This was 3~4 years ago, can't remember. My only problem with my Epic is watch battery life. I've replace the battery annually, but never the transmitter battery.

BTW, if you are worried about losing your computer during a dive, there are a number of computers for which you can buy Deep Sea Supply mounts. The computer fits into the mount, and the mount attaches to your wrist with bungie cord. That way, it can't come unbuckled, and the bungie will adjust as your exposure protection compresses with depth.

But if you're convinced you'll like a console better, buy one. Then you can buy a wrist gauge later, when you decide the console is a PITA. (BTW, that's what my husband did!)

Back
Top Bottom