Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^what he said^^

I've used both, neither console or computer were available when I started. I used a console for a decade or so, and the reason I went back to individual components was that I could not find a console that was set up the way I wanted it and the inconvenience was annoying me.

As for banging on the reef or dropping off a boat etc., these are more personal responsibility problems rather than an inherent problem with the gear.

Bob
Agreed.

If your gear is banging on the reef, you are either diving to close to it or your gear is poorly set up - neither of which is the gears fault.

If you lose your DC on a boat, you are not being careful enough (unless a freak wave catches the boat throwing everyone off balance). Your computer has no need to be placed on the rail or the deck or anywhere else. Either keep the DC on your wrist while geared up or immediately after removal fit it to your BCD. No chance of losing it or forgetting it.

Personally I prefer wrist DC to the extent I will probably go for an AI large format, colour screen DC when I eventually upgrade it (backed up by a small SPG for the rare event of a disconnect). All the relevant info in front of me.

For me, this is an easy question to answer; I have both a console computer and a wrist computer and use both. Having a back-up computer can save a day of diving (so says THIS guy who had the battery compartment of his console computer flood on a dive due to a hairline crack).

i normally take my camera, so wrist works best for me. i normally rotate my computer to the inside of my wrist so i can see it without removing my hand from the camera. this places my computer a few inches away from my view finder...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom