Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that the wrist is the best way to go. I dive with a Tusa wrist mount computer that frankly has very little in the way of features. It gives depth, ndl, time and temperature and accounts for nitrox up to 40%. I dive an analog SPG as well as it has my compass on it. I went with the simple wrist mount but actually bought it x4. Two for me and two for my buddy. We have redundancy and identical algorithms so that we don't end up screwing up one another's dives. I could not have done this with a more flashy/expensive computer. In my opinion, get the basics, make it redundant, and if you have the opportunity coordinate with the buddy/group you will dive with. If you were to lose one, or one buddy forgot the bag with their computers at home, they could borrow your spare and know exactly how it works.

I have lost mine years ago if it were wrist mounted, and the end of the day it's 6 and half a dozen.

If it were that much of an issue to read a console we wouldn't be taking OW students out with them. I like consoles, and will replace mine with another one when needed. At the same time I like using a wrist computer, it doesn't have to be the case that one is best. If you have to look at your computer at all times to manage a safe assent then you could do with more practice. If you have to do that then it's also easily done with a console. If your hands are full with needing to hold onto a line, and your inflator and are unable to organize yourself to simply check your console then you're over your personal limits and should not be doing that dive regardless of where your computer is mounted.

I know this is a very old thread... but it's in the top ranking for searching the topic.

As a Dive Master for 13+ years .... Console! Here is what happens. New divers come up from a dive and strip off there cold wet suits and set there fancy new wrist computer on the railing of the boat in the process. Next thing you know a small wave hits the boat and the computer is gone! The opposite is also true. New divers will forget there computer on the shore. Then someone has to swim back.

Consoles don't have any of these problems.

I know this is a very old thread... but it's in the top ranking for searching the topic.

As a Dive Master for 13+ years .... Console! Here is what happens. New divers come up from a dive and strip off there cold wet suits and set there fancy new wrist computer on the railing of the boat in the process. Next thing you know a small wave hits the boat and the computer is gone! The opposite is also true. New divers will forget there computer on the shore. Then someone has to swim back.

Consoles don't have any of these problems.

Maybe so for wrist computers, but the more compact wristWATCH-style computers solve this problem. It never having to leave my wrist was a reason I loved my wristwatch-style computer. On a dive trip, I always knew where it was, day or night, in the water or out of the water: on my wrist. Too bad the display became difficult to read as my vision got worse with age. These days, I prefer a larger format for a variety of ease-of-use reasons.

I'm also raising this thread from the dead. After having taken Rescue and practicing unresponsive diver at depth and trying to bring them up, having it on the wrist was the way to go. You could monitor your depth and ascent rate as you kept the reg in the victim's mouth and controlled your buoyancy on the way up.

Console, at least if doing regular rec diving. You are less likely to forget it or knock it overboard. It also makes checking status easier: depth, time and air all at once. I wear my compass on my wrist for ease of navigation. Even though they shouldn't interfere with each other, I lik my compass away from metal and electronics in seawater. Ultimately, question of preference.

Console for me as well. I like AI computers and while I don't see it as a common problem, I have been with a few folks where their transmitter wasn't connecting with the wrist computer. I've never had that happen with my Sherwood Wisdom.

image.jpeg

I have both, SUUNTO D4 (+ SPG as I'm still shy of wireless pressure transmitter) wrist DC as primary DC & SUUNTO Cobra console DC as a backup DC. You never know one of DCs would have a problem during a week long trip in a liveaboard in the middle of nowhere, problem like runout of battery, losing D4 due to broken strap during a dive, forgot to put D4 on after putting the wetsuit, or whatever else as mentioned above.

Having the same brand DC also means having the same diving profile algorithm. No more getting confused on which computer to follow or having one of them locked out for 24 hours for surfacing before the deco is completed.

As far as streamlining the gears, I have the Cobra tucked in my BCD left hip pocket. The backup second stage regulator is tucked in the right BCD hip pocket. The SPG hose runs along the BCD right shoulder strap, as shown in the picture, above.

Last edited:
Ford - Chevy, Vanilla - Chocolate, steamed rice - fried rice

^^what he said^^

I've used both, neither console or computer were available when I started. I used a console for a decade or so, and the reason I went back to individual components was that I could not find a console that was set up the way I wanted it and the inconvenience was annoying me.

As for banging on the reef or dropping off a boat etc., these are more personal responsibility problems rather than an inherent problem with the gear.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom