Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count me as an instructor who will not go wireless air integrated until they will work while operating a scooter. Every wireless unit I have seen on a scooter dive does not communicate with the puck until a while after the scooter is shut down. My favorite dives have been scooter dives with guests that have both wireless AI computers AND Air 2's! That way they have no idea how much air freeflowed from their alternate when it was in the prop wash! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I see that you like Sunnto and are thinking on spendig arround 1000 bucks, I´ll go with the Sunto HelO2 this instrument will see you trough any kind of diving, it can even manage mix gas, deco diving, multiple gas diving... and wrist mounted off course, much more streamlined and no wireless just ad an small hose mounted presure gauge and cliped to your waist.

Wrist. I wear mine on the right, watch on the left. I clip my mini pressure gauge to the ring on my chest strap. I just look down to check my air and it's easy to check everything on the computer.

I see that you like Sunnto and are thinking on spendig arround 1000 bucks, I´ll go with the Sunto HelO2 this instrument will see you trough any kind of diving, it can even manage mix gas, deco diving, multiple gas diving... and wrist mounted off course, much more streamlined and no wireless just ad an small hose mounted presure gauge and cliped to your waist.

Well, he can also get a Suunto Air without transmitter for about $300-$400 less than a HelO2 without transmitter, in-case he won't be doing gas switching or helium diving any time soon. I almost got a Hel02 until taking Essentials and learning a bit out ratio deco and now I'm happy doing the tables and deco scedules in my head with a timer and pressure guage only.

Though, personally, as one considering doing helium diving in the future, and liking Suunto, I'd go the route of a HelO2, but only because of the Helium, otherwise I'd take the Vytec DS or Suunto Air wristmounts (each without transmitter).

Thanks,
Shawn

I'm really glad I ran across this thread. I'm newly OW certified and had decided that I was going to buy a console computer. These posts have got me thinking about my decision as being very uninformed. I can certainly see the merit of a wrist mount and will probably go that way, instead.

Well count me in on the console side. You clip it off right, and it is not an "entanglement hazard" any more than any other part of your gear. It is readily accessible, and you never forget it.

I can't tell you how many divers I've been with who have either forgotten their wrist computer, misplaced it between or after dives, or who have even lost it on a dive and not noticed. To me, any advantage is not worth the stress.

I was about to buy my wife a console computer--maybe a Suunto Cobra 3--when I stumbled across this thread. I dive with a Suunto D6 wristwatch-like computer and love the fact that its not annoying to leave on my wrist during surface intervals, and at the end of the day I can sit at the bar and scroll through my dives and amuse myself. I wear it like a wristwatch throughout my dive vacation. Consequently, I always know where it is, and it's always on my wrist when I am gearing up for the next dive. It's one less thing that I have to think about in preparing for a dive. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the topside advantages of the wristwatch-style wrist computer.

But my wife is not such a techie, and she's not going to wear an unfashionable watch-like computer throughout her vacation. That leaves a choice of a larger puck-style wrist computer, or a console. I had pretty much settled on buying her a console for several reasons: (1) never having owned a computer, she's accustomed to looking at the SPG console (she doesn't look at her dive watch much because she runs out of air long before approaching no-deco limits); (2) AI is a wonderful convenience and puts all information in one place, and AI consoles are less expensive than AI wrist computers; and (3) I just don't see her enjoying having to mess with taking a puck-style wrist computer on and off between dives, finding somewhere safe on the boat to leave it, remembering to go fetch it for the next dive, etc. I think that only the wristwatch-style wrist computers are truly convenient; the larger, more common "puck" wrist computers seem like a hassle topside. Of course, I am a lazy recreational diver who puts a lot of value on convenience. I can very much understand how a wrist computer with a nice big display would be preferable to a console during the dive itself.

So, now I am not quite sure. Console or wrist computer for the lady?

After reading some more posts and seeing a retractable clip that keeps a console DC at your chest, you get AI on a hose direct to the tank vs a wireless "possibly" hoping the AI "MODULE" works through the water.

I'd rather have a direct link to my tank, with air consumption which compares your breathing rate to your new diver or skilled breather, plus NDL and PSI on the tank, and a nice readable panel ( for old eyes) that is detachable like a wrist watch or puck, but remains on your chest during the dive. That should be a plus for a run on sentence.

It also has a quick disconnect after each dive to take with you vs getting banged on the boat , and can run sims.

One comes to mind......Oceanic Pro 2 with a compass, console. Nitrox/Dive downloads

I'm re thinking again.............love this sport

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom