Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco24

Contributor
Reaction score
I am re-thinking that a console would be better overall since you just reach for a hose vs your wrist and check as needed during a dive (frequent).

Like I said before I've never used one and I'm still here....... just time, tables, watch and depth gauge. I do see the major benefits however and can't wait to dive with one. The SUTTO demo's are great to download.

With 3 new divers I think they ( DC) would stay around longer if attached to the reg and then you also get psi info on the console with a $900 AI stage 1 thingy.

So please give your personal opinion for the ones trying to decide and ones that have had to outfit 4 divers at once!!

Last edited:
My vote is for a wrist computer - I check depth and dive time much more frequently than air (at least at this stage of my dive experience). Looking at my wrist is much easier than reaching for a console...............

AI is not really required - a simple pressure gauge is fine. But I like the idea of having all the info on the computer - just can't bring myself to spend the $$$$$........yet...:)

Also you can use the wrist DC with rental gear on trips.

Hope this helps.......M

I like my gauges on my wrist. They are more easily accessed and more streamlined. I also like my gas-integrated wireless computer, but it's a gadget--not really needed and kind of pricy. If cost is an issue at all, I'd skip it.

I've got both a wrist computer and a console computer. I typically dive with both.

I like the wrist computer better. It's just easier to see and take a "quick glance at".

Air integrated "wireless" is up to you. but I personally think they are a little expensive for what you get. (but then again I've never used one before either. I know some people who love them). I wouldn't trust a wireless connection as your only pressure reading though. always have an analog gauge for backup.

Another vote for wrist.

With some experience, you no longer check your SPG that often.

Wrist, with Air Integration, tells you what you want to know; Air time remaining at depth and non Deco time limit, simple!

Wrist is my recommendation. I dove with an air integrated console for a long while but after my first dive trying out a wrist computer I never went back to the console. Now I dive with a wrist computer and an SPG. I check my depth and time far more often than my air, and it is much easier to see on the wrist. Also it is nice not to have a big console hanging off my kit. I know a few people who like to catch crays and they prefer a console though, as the wrist won't get banged up.

Go with the wrist version. Many around here, myself included, wasted money on a console when they started.

Air integrated is controversial around here, but I'm a fan of it.

Maybe you guys missed my Q intent on the 3rd sentence and the second, I have been certed a while just not down so I'm taking the course with my girls and wife again. Chapter 5, page 227 in the PADI OWD manual.

I don't want to risk my 3 stooges losing a $300-500 DC in a dive bag vs a text msg from their I phones instead.

If you're diving your plan of NDL anyway a quick glance every so often is all that's needed. You guys are spoiled on these DC's.

To elaborate a bit (I'm bored).

Dangling consoles are en entanglement hazard and a risk to coral/bottom life, but I've never found a satisfying way to attach a console. Console retractors need to be huge and tug on your arm, and bolt snap on hip is a pain when you need to check your depth often (you do).

You need your left hand free to check your console - this isn't camera/light/assist/DSMB/cute dive buddy's hand friendly. If you like to keep your hand on your inflator hose on the ascent, you won't be able to do that either - and ascent is the time when you want to monitor your depth all the time.

The only advantage I see to a console compared to a SPG + wrist computer is that all your information is available at the same place. However, I check depth and time a lot more often than remaining gas. So to me, moving all the information to the relatively 'inconvenient' SPG place (compared to wrist) is not an improvement.

Conclusion: consoles are evil and an invention of the dive industry so they can sell you wrist computers when you grow wiser and get twice the amount of cash. They will strangle you in your sleep and cause your first stage to leak in disgust. I wouldn't go as far as blaming them for making California waters cold, but they're clearly responsible for convincing people they ought to wear a snorkel on their mask at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom