Worlds Youngest Diver??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My kid was spearfishing on scuba at 9 yrs of age at depths up to 60 feet. Who really cares?

Congratulations on your son's accomplishment. I don't think anyone was out to ridicule either you or your son. We're all divers here ourselves.

I think what most of us found a little questionable was the idea that there haven't been younger scuba divers in the past which is what the article implied. I think the photo in post #4 proves that pretty conclusively. "Youngest certified diver"; that I can believe. So far as I know, 10 is the youngest any of the agencies will certify you at and 10 years and 1 day is about as close as you can cut it.

Also, I'm sorry about my earlier post. It was in bad taste and I will remove it.

DEAR ALL,
I am father of the above mention quote. please kindly google"world's youngest scuba diver" to know more. my son was certified by padi when he was 10 years and 1 day breaking the previous record of 10 years and 3 days. to let you guys know you can only start your open water course when you turn 10. GUYS LET YOU CHILDREN BREAK THIS RECORD AND I PROMISE YOU THAT EVEN OBAMA WILL VISIT YOU to be barbecued.

THANKS

So you are proud of the fact that you enrolled your son in a 2-day PADI course on his tenth birthday?

For some of us, many years ago learning to dive was buying a book or two, some gear, and diving with some people who learned by buying a book or two, some gear and diving with some divers.

My father taught me to dive shortly after my 7th birthday. The reason I did not learn to dive before my 7th birthday is that I was busy every day of the summer with swim team and baseball team; mid August I finally had an open weekend. :)

I made over 30 dives before my 10th birthday, but I was not a certified diver until age 32, after over 100 dives. None of my diving achievements are records; probably not even close. There are plenty of old school divers who started at an earlier age and had more dives before certification.

Back in '07, an employer of mine, who started diving at age 8, took his 6 year old son on some dives just to "one up me" even though the kid was not the fish either his dad or I were at that age. These were 20' deep dives in the Ocean seeing turtles and big eels. I still doubt that would be close to a record.

Perhaps the news article would have been more accurate if it read "World's youngest PADI certified scuba diver."

Panaji, Mar 12 (PTI) A delegation from Liberia had visited Mumbai-based ten-year-old Parth Sanghvi to congratulate him on becoming the world's youngest scuba diver.

"The delegation which included son of the President of Liberia, Robert A Sirleaf spent considerable time with Parth at our home in Mumbai last week," Mehul Shanghvi, Parth's father told PTI today.

Mehul said the delegation visited Parth after reading a story about his achievement in a newspaper. He became world's youngest scuba diver after he dived 40 feet underwater near Grande Island in Goa last month, breaking the earlier world record of Egypt's Natasha Turner.

The other members of the delegation included Senior Advisor to President's Special Envoy of the Liberian Republic and Deputy Minister of External Affairs Sylvester M Grigsby.

Grigsby had encouraging words for Parth and wished he would go on to become the best deep sea scuba diver in the world.

I guess they have not heard of PADI in India?????

DEAR ALL,
I am father of the above mention quote. please kindly google"world's youngest scuba diver" to know more. my son was certified by padi when he was 10 years and 1 day breaking the previous record of 10 years and 3 days. to let you guys know you can only start your open water course when you turn 10. GUYS LET YOU CHILDREN BREAK THIS RECORD AND I PROMISE YOU THAT EVEN OBAMA WILL VISIT YOU to be barbecued.

THANKS

The open water dives take two days. So what you are saying is nearly impossible.

To do this you would have to do all the pool dives and classroom work starting at 12:01 AM on your kids birthday.

Then do the first two OW dives the same day and board a very fast plane flying west, land 24 hours later but the calendar day before you left and do the second two OW dives.

Hell, even that might not work.

At least it would not be worth going through all that just to be BBQ'd by President Obama.

I did not intend to offend anyone. The article is poorly written because it says he is the youngest diver at 12.

As an instructor I have taught many children. I believe from experience that it is rare that a ten or eleven year old that is old enough to SCUBA dive. If a parent insists that their ten year old take the class I require a try SCUBA session where I assess the size of the student - can they handle the equipment, - the maturity - do they listen and pay attention, - and are they capable up understanding diving concepts.

I have told a number of parents that their child is not ready. The reaction has been mixed from understanding to out right anger.

At 10 years and one day the confined water was done prior to age ten and the open water was done on the birthday and the day after. Possible but that is not what the article says.

Can does not mean should.

I started Diving Much younger than the Age of 10. My Father was an instructor back in the 70's and it was much simpler (Safer?!?!) for the folks to take me down with them than to leave me alone on a boat in the middle of a lake. In any event I gained my Open Water Diver Certification at the ripe old age of 9 Years, 11 Months and 8 Days in 1980. Rules have changed since then, but if I'm not mistaken that would make me the youngest (Certified) Scuba diver going.

DEAR ALL,
I am father of the above mention quote. please kindly google"world's youngest scuba diver" to know more. my son was certified by padi when he was 10 years and 1 day breaking the previous record of 10 years and 3 days. to let you guys know you can only start your open water course when you turn 10.

Getting a scuba certification at that young age is indeed a big accomplishment. The important thing now is to dive with your son often. He can then be the world's youngest active diver.

Ron

Received an e-mail from a friend about the 'oldest diving instructor' it was posted to Scubaboard. Thought I might update it and ran across the youngest child diver. Come on guys, do you think your wife would approve. If an adult could get an AA in less than half an atomsphere pool, don't you think with their underdeveloped lungs there's a little risk here.
Anyway, PADI instructor MSDT #12 is still active and probably the oldest tenured instructor in the PADI nation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom