Error Two wreck divers dead - Marsascala, Malta

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When it comes to bcd/wing inflators would it be better if the button was two half circles, each was a separate valve and you had to push em both down to inflate? Redundancy if you will? Or would same issues persist?

When it comes to bcd/wing inflators would it be better if the button was two half circles, each was a separate valve and you had to push em both down to inflate? Redundancy if you will? Or would same issues persist?
There are "double bladder" BCDs with two elephant trunks to separate bladders.

A SMB could be used to haul yourself up if you can't drop weights.

In colder climes a drysuit gives sufficient backup buoyancy for an ascent.

There are "double bladder" BCDs with two elephant trunks to separate bladders.

A SMB could be used to haul yourself up if you can't drop weights.

In colder climes a drysuit gives sufficient backup buoyancy for an ascent

Hello, my comment was in relation to having two mechanical valves before filling the bladder to prevent one from leaking. The double bladder wings are cool though, especially for ccr when it can go super negative if loop is flooded.

When I was doing my CCR training, I had a rapid ascent from 70ft or so. Similar issue, but I had only been down for a minute or two. I could hear the gas starting to flow somewhere, but was it bcd, drysuit or adv? Couldn’t correct before it overcame and I went for a ride. Was the bcd inflator.

We lost one or our local dive club members to a similar situation I believe when he was at a dive resort and they had people down at 100ft. Malfunction, rapid ascent.

To me, it’s one or the scariest failure point. Keep things maintained!

Hello, my comment was in relation to having two mechanical valves before filling the bladder to prevent one from leaking. The double bladder wings are cool though, especially for ccr when it can go super negative if loop is flooded.
Slow leaks in the K valve due to salt seem to be quite common.

I guess it's possible to fit an inline shutoff valve.

Totally understand about CCR issues. Once on the way up it's very hard to dump everything -- loop, wing, suit in time to slow down, especially as most of that implies being vertical to shake it all out so you're now more streamlined.

The learning points from an incident like that take a while to absorb. Sitting in this chair typing is easy to say, oooh, just lift the elephant's trunk up and dump the wing... But, that's not so simple when it's actually happening and you've not quite worked out what's going on until it's too late.

Hyperbaric consultant suspended following death of Polish diver​

Consultant had gone home and left a junior trainee to monitor Bialecki’s recovery

Although it's officially not confirmed, this "consultant" left to watch a soccer match and refused to answer his phone.
He survived the incident that killed the other diver, and was lucky enough to make it to an available chamber still conscious and talking, but the attendant couldn't be bothered to save his life. 🥲

Repost from a related thread,

It seem like they can put commercial divers into a chamber within minutes of surfacing, and it works out. Not sure what their chamber schedules are though?

It is possible that severe enough effects (and large emboli) had already become irreversibly fatal before recompression was ultimately administered? How long was the interval between surfacing and recompression?

Given that eventual chamber therapy was not curative, it should be discussed whether the diver's instinct to immediately re-descend might have been successful.

But then (on a single-boat dive) there is a dilemma of leaving an at-risk diver in the water trying to recompress, while delivering the first victim to EMS, then coming back to retrieve the second diver?

Discussion about in-water recompression I believe was mentioned in Rebreather Forum 4.

Repost from a related thread,

It seem like they can put commercial divers into a chamber within minutes of surfacing, and it works out.
I saw that in a movie, but who knows?

Sometimes on my vacations I get instabuddies. Many are quite experienced. Sometimes people ask what certs you have.
I just reply Padi Rescue. They ask what did I learn from that. I reply if you are my buddy and you panic I will let you drown first then do the rescue so as not to become another dead diver. The looks I get are priceless from other people on the boat.
I'll take this, thanks

Although I am not sure I agree that IWR is a last ditch effort, I do think that his decision to have only O2 on the boat was likely not to delay transport of the first victim. In fact, I immediately wondered if his decision to surface was not for that reason. A boat captain has a real problem when it is necessary to transport a DCS victim as soon as possible, but there is another diver doing an hour of deco below.

A similar situation happened in Cozumel a while ago. Three divers, including the owner of the shop, did a dive intended for 300 feet on AL tanks, but it ended up going to 400 feet. They eventually surfaced having done no deco. They needed to get to the chamber as soon as possible. Unfortunately, they had chosen to do this dive off of a boat doing a regular dive with customers, and the captain refused to leave the divers who were still below completing their dives. The shop owner did not live, and one of the others will never walk again.
This is solid input for a good pre-dive brief and scenario run with the crew.
I've been thinking about this for some time. I've taken the OOSMEAC military style Op Order, and started filling it with everything I know. I've always found dive briefs lacking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom